Internship Interview Question: Where do you see yourself in five years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anxiety

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get asked this question a lot, and while I have prepared for it, I feel like my answer is not enough. I say where I see myself working at - the type of site and population. But what is this question really asking? I feel like I shouldn't take this question at face value. How can I elaborate on this because I feel my answers are too short and concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I get asked this question a lot, and while I have prepared for it, I feel like my answer is not enough. I say where I see myself working at - the type of site and population. But what is this question really asking? I feel like I shouldn't take this question at face value. How can I elaborate on this because I feel my answers are too short and concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm approaching this questions in a few ways; I am going to first talk about where I want to be in terms of my career goals and then connect them back to what the site is offering and how the site will help me get to that point. Then, I'm going to share some personal goals for the next five years as well.

Yep agree with above. Always find a way to tie it back (in a realistic, not too far of a reach way) to the internship site in terms of what they offer and how it will help you to get to those goals.