Internship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am not sure if there is a thread about this topic already or not.

How competitive internship interviews are? How do u prepare for them? For those who have done the internship interviews already, how did you feel afterwards?

If you are already working for them as a tech, are you pretty much guaranteed to have a spot as an intern or get more preference over others?

Any comments.??? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone

I am not sure if there is a thread about this topic already or not.

How competitive internship interviews are? How do u prepare for them? For those who have done the internship interviews already, how did you feel afterwards?

If you are already working for them as a tech, are you pretty much guaranteed to have a spot as an intern or get more preference over others?

Any comments.??? thanks

My internship interview was quite similar to my pharm school one. Why Pharm? Where to practice? Your vision about the profession? Blah blah. And of course, they prefer experience. So tech experience is always a plus. Technically, an internship is supposed to be mostly "learning" but pharmacy manager, once hire you, expect you to actually work efficiently for them.

My internship interview consisted of lunch and casual conversation with the pharmacy district manager. There were no real interview questions. It was just like, "the job is yours if you want it." I had no pharmacy experience either.

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on the settings and how bad the pharmacy place needs help at the point they're hiring you. If it's a retail setting, it's pretty much easy, especially when they need help so badly; the interview is pretty much like a casual conversation, testing how you handle situations...common question is: "how would you handle when a patient gets mad because his/her drug is not covered by insurance?".

As of hospital-wise, it could be more serious; but again, it depends on where...some places hire intern with the idea to train them, make them work so later when they're done with Pharm school, they'll be their staff/clinical pharmacists. So yeah, they'll ask you questions....depending on the level, they can ask in depth, such as "how would u monitor coumadin?"....or giving a scenario: Pt A is on drug A and B, A interacts majorly with C. As a pharmacist, what would u do if C is ordered per pharmacy (or per MD...whatever).

Good luck...

At my school we have an annual career day. On this day you interview with a bunch of companies (Wags, Wal-mart, Albertson's, CVS). Between this interview and online applications, there were over 100 apps for the Wal-mart summer internship for only 2 spots. I did get one of the spots. I attribute this to interviewing well and receiving a good recommendation from a current intern. This was a pretty competitive internship because they paid the highest (along with Albertsons) which was $13/hr. Wags and CVS were only around $10 at the time.

From what I've heard if you're already a tech, then once you get your license you pretty much move up to an intern. I know with Wags and CVS you really have to keep up on them though and it took my friend a while to get her pay increased.

Good luck!

At my school we have an annual career day. On this day you interview with a bunch of companies (Wags, Wal-mart, Albertson's, CVS). Between this interview and online applications, there were over 100 apps for the Wal-mart summer internship for only 2 spots. I did get one of the spots. I attribute this to interviewing well and receiving a good recommendation from a current intern. This was a pretty competitive internship because they paid the highest (along with Albertsons) which was $13/hr. Wags and CVS were only around $10 at the time.

From what I've heard if you're already a tech, then once you get your license you pretty much move up to an intern. I know with Wags and CVS you really have to keep up on them though and it took my friend a while to get her pay increased.

Good luck!

Pam, was this for summer 2006? If so, Wags would have classified you as a 3PD and the pay is 13.50 (at least in the Orlando area). Aslo, it might depend on the district supervisor as far as the increases go, but I didn't have any problems getting the yearly increase. Unless you're talking about increasing from tech to intern...didn't have to go through that step.