Internships/externships for 1st and 2nd years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalrvt

Veterinary student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that externships are generally reserved for 3rd and 4th year students. However, I was wondering whether anyone knows of possibilities for 1st and 2nd years. I could go back to work as a tech at my old clinic, but I would love to be able to broaden my skills and get some new experiences. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few people who have done externships (PAID!) during their first and second year breaks. However all of them that I can think of were either research or large animal (Bovine and Swine). Don't know the details however.

Never heard of any small animal externships for 1-2 year students, but they might exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did several equine externships between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd years. I just went on the AAEP website and emailed practices. No biggie.

For small animal, I have lots of friends who also did externships. The AVMA has a master list of externships, and I had friends who also did externships or had jobs at VCA and Banfield.

Thanks all. Libster06, I did see the thread. Was hoping for more specifics if anyone had them. It does seem more difficult to find for small animal. Thinking I will go to my hospital and ask to do some case-based learning, shadowing the vets to get more detailed info and rationale behind treatments, etc. Stuff I haven't done as a tech during the last 12 years! Thanks again, everyone!

Thinking I will go to my hospital and ask to do some case-based learning, shadowing the vets to get more detailed info and rationale behind treatments, etc. Stuff I haven't done as a tech during the last 12 years! Thanks again, everyone!

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did with that approach. The job I had this summer was supposed to be just that, and it sounded good on paper but when it came down to it the doctors never took much time to teach me anything based on the cases we saw... which also could've been partly due to the fact that we didn't see much of anything other than spays, neuters and vaccines, but whatever. Good luck.