Interpreting Essay prompts within reason

sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
I've seen some prompts that could be interpreted in different ways and wondering how much leniency we have here? Is the key to define our understanding of the prompt right away and then write our essay based upon our definition of the prompt?

Most of the time I find myself focusing the prompt on a specific area, as opposed to a larger more vague area. For example, if the prompt says something like "Highly selective univeristies are beneficial for society........." - What does selective mean here" Selective for academic acheivement? Income? etc etc. Could one focus this prompt in any way they want, or go with what is most likely meant by the MCAT author (which in this case would be academics I am assuming).

thanks
steve

Rach83

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
I've seen some prompts that could be interpreted in different ways and wondering how much leniency we have here? Is the key to define our understanding of the prompt right away and then write our essay based upon our definition of the prompt?

Most of the time I find myself focusing the prompt on a specific area, as opposed to a larger more vague area. For example, if the prompt says something like "Highly selective univeristies are beneficial for society........." - What does selective mean here" Selective for academic acheivement? Income? etc etc. Could one focus this prompt in any way they want, or go with what is most likely meant by the MCAT author (which in this case would be academics I am assuming).

thanks
steve

You can interpret the prompt however you like but that is why you have to make sure to define the terms in your first paragraph. Once you define what "selective" means for example, you can then use any examples that fit this definition.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.