Interventional pulmonology- program review (Lahey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felodepone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I trained at the Lahey clinic for IP within the past 5 years, and wanted to give future applicants a brief pro/con. One difference I find between programs is the service time they will have you do, it varies widely between none-- heavy service.

Pros
Adequate procedure volume
Great tumor board
Away elective in Germany
Great bronch support staff

Cons
Service time--9 weeks ICU and 7 weekends in the year which is brutal
Certain attendings can be quite difficult/intense to work with at times

This thread could be used by current/former fellows to help guide future applicants

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing, would you recommend IP for someone who loves procedures but also wants to have a life? especially in private practise

how does IP work in a private setting? is there scope for advanced procedures or stuck with basic EBUS/NAV's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post. Do you get paid extra or higher salary because of ICU coverage etc
Do you feel IP fellowship was a good idea and worth it

Regards

Hi all,

I trained at the Lahey clinic for IP within the past 5 years, and wanted to give future applicants a brief pro/con. One difference I find between programs is the service time they will have you do, it varies widely between none-- heavy service.

Pros
Adequate procedure volume
Great tumor board
Away elective in Germany
Great bronch support staff

Cons
Service time--9 weeks ICU and 7 weekends in the year which is brutal
Certain attendings can be quite difficult/intense to work with at times

This thread could be used by current/former fellows to help guide future applicants

Update on this program since I interviewed there this year.

Non IP service is 10 icu weekends per year. No more 9 weeks of icu as OP stated