Interview at University of St. Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coug2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to see who else has an interview at univ. of st. augustine, and how you are preparing...? anyone have any other insight on current issues in PT, other than direct access?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I do...to be honest I haven't started to prepare but I've just been reading posts about other interviews and thinking about answers for the questions some people have posted.

just wanted to see who else has an interview at univ. of st. augustine, and how you are preparing...? anyone have any other insight on current issues in PT, other than direct access?

Reimbursement issues are also a biggie. Talk about how the insurance companies are not reimbursing the services that the PTs provide to patients well enough.

Also talk about the public view of PTs. Even some doctors sometimes don't have a clue about what we do. Remember the thread that was locked? The resident or intern thought that all we do is walk the patients. That is another issue for me.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
awesome.... thank you. getting nervous... merry, do you have any idea how many people they are interviewing? i couldn't find that stat anywhere

hey guys. just joined the network. I also have an interview at St Aug on feb 21st. Where is the best online site to read the current events just mentioned??

Coug2007 -

I also have an interview with St. Aug; when is yours? Apparently they have been trying to contact me for some time, but had the wrong email address! I just received a phone call this past Thursday asking me if I wanted to attend, but have yet to get the email they are supposed to send me with the details of the interview.

wow you just found out huh? mine is this coming weekend... the 21st, i think thats when they all are...? are you going to make it? good luck!

Actually the interviews aren't all this weekend. I was given the option of March 2,9,12. So they obviously have quite a few options. Let me know you it goes!

I finally got an email concerning my interview - February 21st!! It wouldnt be such a big deal if i wasnt 10+ hours from St. Aug. I'm gonna call the admissions head tomorrow and see if i can get the date changed; if not it looks like i'm going to be doing a whole lot of driving this weekend! To ad insult to injury, i was also informed my final transcript and GRE scores never made it to the school which i have never had an issue with before. All of my other applications and interviews went off without a hitch; for some reason everything with St. Aug has been difficult.

oh i guess i didn't realize there were other interview dates, i guess that makes sense though! well good luck to everyone... lets hope we all get accepted :)

I' getting nervous!! hehe good luck everyone! I didn't know they were other dates either. The essay is what I'm most worried about!

From what I have heard the essay is basically the last thing they look at if you are on the border.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like the planets have aligned and i will be making a trip to St. Augustine this weekend! Good luck!

hi..im new to this forum..but was just curious how some of your interviews went? I had mine on the 15th at the san diego campus and have not heard word yet..driving me crazy i wish they would just call already!:scared:

so how did interviews go for those of you who went last weekend? mine went well i think, haven't heard anything back yet though... anyone else? keeping my fingers crossed!

havent heard anything back from them yet....i'll let you know how well it went in another week! Honestly, i think all of my interviews went well but i always feel there is something i could have said or done better. Good luck to you!

I still have not heard back either..crazy thing is my interview was for the May trimester..i talked to Dian yesterday and she said she thinks they mixed my interview up with the fall group..im seriousy so annoyed i would really like to know so i can start getting loans!?:eek:

so how did interviews go for those of you who went last weekend? mine went well i think, haven't heard anything back yet though... anyone else? keeping my fingers crossed!

I think it went well I had a really tough essay I heard the 3 sections had different questions.
Hope to not see a letter at the house next week, keeping my cell fully charged !
Good Luck

really? my essay question was super easy.... what was your question, if you dont mind me asking? was it the one about the arts or sciences? i kind of heard someone talking about it, but didnt hear the full question.

That was mine actually (the arts and sciences one)

I felt like my interview went very well. I have to say I was surprised when they had us participating in a two person interview. It was hard to believe how many interviews were conducted on that one day! I haven't heard anything either.. but it has only been one week!

Anyone have any opinions about the university and/or program based on their visit and interview? Any information that was presented on that day that they hadn't known before? I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Good Luck to all!
Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Hi ALL..i FINALLY recieved my much anticipated phone call from Mary on friday saying i was accepted!!..wooohoo..ive actualy been able to sleep!!..i Had my interview on the 13th and it took them exacty 2 weeks!!..but i am for May so i start may 7th..My essay was what have you done to demonstrate your commitiment to pursuing a career in pt!!..best question in the world..i had 2 other people being interviewed with me!!..Mary said they fill out a review sheet and send it to florida and they have a number scale which is how they determine who gets in..so basically if you did great in the interview your in or at least wait listed!!..she also said that they are for sure accepted for fasfa but not till fall possibly sooner so i have to go and get a private loan she said sallie mae is the best..but that it takes a good 2 months so cutting it very close??..they say a lot of times a co-signer is required which worries me cuz i have the best credit in my family..i have a 740 credit score has anyone tried for a loan and know if i will have any trouble??:confused:
Good luck..and if you are for fall and already had your interview dian hartley said your odds are very good because it is so early!!

lirpa, that is awesome, congrats to you! :) hope you get the loan stuff figured out... i had a private loan for my undergrad (i dont even know why i did that) and it has a pretty high interest rate which sucks, but if PT school is worth it to you, which it is to me, then its do-able. anyway, thanks for sharing your info with us... i am dying to hear something haha. good luck!

I have a question about the best way to file your tax return in regards to grad school loans. I am taking a year off after undergrad and have been accepted into PT school. for fall 2008 I am working now , but can still file 2008 as a dependent on my parents return.

Do I stand a better chance of getting subsidized loans if I file on my own , will fasfa take less of a look at my parents income if I'm not listed on their return as a dependent.

Thanks

IDK if you meant "for fall 2009 I am working now" but anyway, it all depends on how much you make. Everything in FASFA depends on your financial need, so it really doesn't matter if you are dependent or not, what matters is money earned. What I mean is that you will qualify for higher "aid" if you a) are independant and don't make much money, or b) if you're dependant and you parents don't make enogh money to pay your tuition. Of course this is regarding grants but I bet, althoug not that strict, it will affect loans as well, at least the amount of subsidized loans. Ussually, I will think, is better for you (meaning that you will look as more "in need") if you file on you're own, and if that's the case you will have to prove independancy, which in our cases is kind of granted because your are consider independent if you are applying for Graduate school. In that case you are not require to give your parents information at all!
Thankfully, I received financial aid for almost my entire undergrad studies so I know EVERYTHING about FAFSA (also because I realy "fought" to get it, but actually it had more to do with "out of/in state status" but that's aanother story) which remainds me that a lot of this depends on the school too...
If you have any more questions let me know

anyone hear anything yet?!?! haha i'm going crazy waiting to hear something....!

Getting Nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! I just got the call!!!!!! ACCEPTED :soexcited:

Congrats xMerryx, you PT or OT?

I'm in too! I got the call today; right before lunch while i was at work! It took me a good 30 minutes to calm down and finish my lunch. I didn't realize how much the whole waiting process had affected me; I feel like a giant boulder has been taken off my chest. Its nice to be able to breathe easy. Did you get to speak with them in person? I really wish I could have, but I couldn't answer my cell at work. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw i had a missed call from the 904 area code!

I KNOW! but I missed the call too! I was at work too and was away from my phone. I actually did not apply to my #1 cause I got a low score on my GRE but I liked USA. The only thing I'm worried about is tuition but well...It feels great to know I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

I unfortunately only got an email, however, I am number one on the wait list, so hopefully I will get into the September class. The positive out of all of it though, is that I'm guaranteed a spot in the January class, so I know I am in eventually!!

Congrats you guys!!..i know that call was amazing!..i locked the message!!..so are all of you starting in the fall??..and if you are number one on the waitlist i am sure you will get in the fall!!..just curious were any of you at the interview in san diego on feb 15th??..i start on may 7th i am stil trying to fight with the loan process lucky for the fall people they should not have this problem because fasfa will be in affect they keep denying me for no reason!!!..i might have to wait untill fall!:(:mad:

Wait listed #7 ......... USA was my number two school and I already in at my #1. Can anyone rent me a couch to give me a break from the upcoming New England winters .

Congrat 's to all !!!!!!!

I will be starting in the September 2009 class too. To all that got in, has anyone started the financial aid process yet? I filled out my FAFSA and now I am working on finding an apartment so I can be settled by the fall. So much to do...

I will be starting in the September 2009 class too. To all that got in, has anyone started the financial aid process yet? I filled out my FAFSA and now I am working on finding an apartment so I can be settled by the fall. So much to do...

Well fortunately for you..you have plenty of time! The fafsa process is not bad, they are very behind on processing them as you can imagin all the previous students and the new summer students all rushed to get them filled out. I am still waiting for the school to certify my loan and we start in ummmm..9 days??..haha..so i wouldnt worry too much about it, just make sure you fill out your online fafsa application and if you need to apply for your grad plus loan they say at least 2 months in advance!..where are you from and where are you looking for apartments? I have lived here for the past 5 years and can tell you where not to live!:)

When I logged onto FAFSA today they said my application was processed but did not tell me what I qualified for. Will the school tell me this information? I dont have any loans from my undergrad so I dont know how this works.

It looks like from you previous posts you will be attending in San Diego, I will be going to the St, Aug, Florida program.

Thanks for the info!

When I logged onto FAFSA today they said my application was processed but did not tell me what I qualified for. Will the school tell me this information? I dont have any loans from my undergrad so I dont know how this works.

It looks like from you previous posts you will be attending in San Diego, I will be going to the St, Aug, Florida program.

Thanks for the info!

well the total amount is for $20500, and unless you have a lot of money saved you will qualify for all of it! Dian told me that pretty much everyone qualifies as long as you dont have a ton of money, which i would guess if your applying for financial aid you dont!..so the $20500 is for all 3 trimester so its $6833 per trimester. If you need more than you need to apply for the grad plus loan!

hi im new to SDN, I think its a cool forum. I have an interview in july for the St Augustine campus in Flordia. I was wandering if any one has had an interview with them recently or in the past and would love some tips im super nervous about it and i really would like to prepare as best I can. I saw the interview responses in april from earlier post, but I was wandering if they may have changed and was looking for recent info. thanks.

well the total amount is for $20500, and unless you have a lot of money saved you will qualify for all of it! Dian told me that pretty much everyone qualifies as long as you dont have a ton of money, which i would guess if your applying for financial aid you dont!..so the $20500 is for all 3 trimester so its $6833 per trimester. If you need more than you need to apply for the grad plus loan!

Hey! the $20500 is what? the loans FAFSA offers???? and if I will need more than that a year, but I read that Grad plus loans are offered up to the amount of attendance minus any other aid. What does that mean exactly? If I'm applying for it's because I need more

Hey! the $20500 is what? the loans FAFSA offers???? and if I will need more than that a year, but I read that Grad plus loans are offered up to the amount of attendance minus any other aid. What does that mean exactly? If I'm applying for it's because I need more

Ok..so the Fafsa (stafford loan) is a total of $20500 per year. thats 3 trimesters. so its $6833 per trimester. Then the school has a set coa for the whole year, which for san diego is like 60k? something like that and its a little lower for florida. that means you can only take out that amount all together stafford+grad plus.
so for example, say you get all the stafford loan $20500
You would take the COA say its $60,000-$20,500=$39500
so the maximum you can take for the grad plus loan is $39,500 for the whole year!
That means you would get approx. $13166 + $6833 = $20,000 per trimester!
and you get the money per trimester after the subtract the tuition obviously!
which leaves you with around~$8500
And just for kicks
-cost of books & printing notes& supplies~$1000
-mics fees(physicals, shots, apta membership, background check, cpr..etc) ~$400
-health insurance~ $400
Leaves you with=$6800 for 4 months obviously these numbers are going to vary depending on where your going!
Hope this helps!:)

IT does! Thanks!
hahaha sorry If I seemed ignorant but I think I'm just really worried!

IT does! Thanks!
hahaha sorry If I seemed ignorant but I think I'm just really worried!

Oh no not at all..I just went through the whole process I was asking the same questions, its very confusing and this school is so new to fafsa that they are not even clear on the process!!
glad it helped..good luck!:)

KGdpt -

I interviewed at St. Aug Florida campus in February. The basic layout is similar each semester. You start in an auditorium with all the people interviewing that day for all three programs (about 200 people). The president speaks and some program professors speak. Then Q and A with current students. Then you break into smaller groups and tour the campus, spend an hour writing a short essay and have a "one on one" interview.

The interview itself is two faculty members (or one faculty and one alumni) and you and one other applicant. The interview lasts about and hour so they ask you anything and everything.

My suggestions would be know some background on the school, know why you want to attend their program over others, and know some general issues in the PT field currently (direct access, reimbursement issues), dress very professionally (wear a suit), and be yourself!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

KGdpt -

I interviewed at St. Aug Florida campus in February. The basic layout is similar each semester. You start in an auditorium with all the people interviewing that day for all three programs (about 200 people). The president speaks and some program professors speak. Then Q and A with current students. Then you break into smaller groups and tour the campus, spend an hour writing a short essay and have a "one on one" interview.

The interview itself is two faculty members (or one faculty and one alumni) and you and one other applicant. The interview lasts about and hour so they ask you anything and everything.

My suggestions would be know some background on the school, know why you want to attend their program over others, and know some general issues in the PT field currently (direct access, reimbursement issues), dress very professionally (wear a suit), and be yourself!

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Vinti112, Thanks for the advice. do you remember the type of interview questions you were asked and the essay what type of questions were those. and I guess the current issues would be found on the apta website right? what is the cost of living prices like for apartments and houses and stuff down in flordia. Do you like the town and activities. sorry so many questions.
thanks again.

Interview questions included:
- Why do you want to be a PT?
- Why did you choose to apply to our school?
- What stands out to you about this program over others?
- What did you like most about your observation hours? Least?
- How will you handle the stress/course load of the program?
- Name a time when you failed, how did you handle it?
- Chunky or creamy peanut butter? Haha, they really asked me that!

All the basic questions, just know their program's specifics... it is a manual and ortho focused program. Stanley Paris (one of the APTA founders) is the founder of their PT program, and even though he is retired he still teaches some classes. They are obsessed with professionalism.

The essay questions were all different and we each were handed one, they didn't let us choose. Mine was "What is the most important quality for a PT to possess?" It was kind of tricky but I went with "Professionalism" and explained why in a good ole 5 paragraph format.

I don't live in St Aug just yet. I start the program in September so I plan on moving there in a couple of months. I have been looking at places to live and the area seems really nice. It really isn't that expensive... I guess because of the economy. A 2 bedroom apartment seems to run between 600 and 800 dollars a month. The area around the school is pretty nice. The school is right down the street from the beach! When I went down for the interview I noticed a Barnes and Noble right next to the school and I have a feeling I will be living there for the next 2 and 1/2 years :)

Oh and there are 2 AWESOME outlet malls about 5 minutes away!

Let me know if you have any more questions, and let me know how your interview goes! Good luck!

hey they asked the same things! except for the peanut butter! I think the only one I could add is what would I do If someone offered me a copy of an upcomming test. And my essay question was something like what's more important in a prefession, science or arts (or something like that =S ). Oh and I loved the city too, there are a lot of cute and nice local places to see. I remember we had breakfast in a really beautiful little place that had the best banana pancakes ever!!! LOL good luck!