Interview at University of St. Augustine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello... new to the site and am working on applying to St. Augustine, San Diego. Has anyone found exceptions to the application process. I have all prerequisites besides Chem I and Chem II, which doesn't seem completely relevant to PT. I have worked hand in hand with PT's and have a lot of experience in the field. I'm still going to apply, though I lack these two classes. Has anyone else been missing a small part of the requirement but still got in? Or recieved an interview? PT has become a passion for me that I really want to pursue, but I can't seem to grasp Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think is mandatory to have the chemistry credits, from what I know it's a pre req for every school. They can let you apply if you don't have it as long as you complete it before starting the DPT.

Yeah I currently attend St. Augustine San Diego campus..and no matter what school..you def. need chem..unfortunately..its just one of those pre-reqs that everyone hates to take!..sorry..but you should be able to find a school that might let you take them both at once??..but then again if your having a hard time with them..i wouldnt reccomend it..but you should take it at a jc it tends to be some what easier(sometimes)..good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on taking it, it just messes with my time line. :( I'm going for the Spring semester starting January 2010 and am not sure I will be able to complete both classes befor then, but there has got to be a way to complete them both in a short amount of time. I wonder if I don't finish before hand, I still might get an interview and be considered for Summer 2010 if I complete them? Does this seem like a possibility to you or anyone else, from your experience?

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on taking it, it just messes with my time line. :( I'm going for the Spring semester starting January 2010 and am not sure I will be able to complete both classes befor then, but there has got to be a way to complete them both in a short amount of time. I wonder if I don't finish before hand, I still might get an interview and be considered for Summer 2010 if I complete them? Does this seem like a possibility to you or anyone else, from your experience?

They will definitely still interview you and even accept you as long as you meet the requirement before the end of your first trimester!!..i had a girl in my class you was still finishing 3 requirements in undergrad all the way up into the 2 week of grad school! Another girl need physics and just took her final last week!
So as long as you have it in your application that you WILL be completing it that can still accept you!:) good luck!

Hello! I'm new to this website and I had a question concerning the application process to PT school. I'm wanting to apply to the University of St. Augustine and also UNF. The thing is, my GPA isn't the greatest. My undergrad degree is in Exercise Science and my GPA is a 2.89. I have a couple of C's in the pre-req classes and one B-. This was because my husband was deployed overseas 3 different times while I was in school, my dad died in a car accident, and then my mom got breast cancer and was going through chemo and rad treatments. Too be honest, I'm surprised I even graduated!!! Anyway, since then I have completed my Master's degree in Human Movement and my overall GPA is a 3.6. However, NONE of my pre-req classes are with my graduate degree. They were taken during my undergrad which is where my GPA is low. I have excellent references from a civilian PT, an Army PT, an orthopedic surgeon, and a faculty staff member. I have personal training, pilates, and yoga certifications and have been working in that field (even doing post rehab) for about 6 years. I also am a Medical Service Officer in the Army National Guard, so military "medical" experience comes into play. Knowing this info and from all of your experience applying to schools, what is my likelihood of getting accepted? Most students apply with only a B.S. degree, but their GPA is a lot higher. Also, should I write a letter explaining why my undergrad GPA is low? Thanks for your responses.

Hello! I'm new to this website and I had a question concerning the application process to PT school. I'm wanting to apply to the University of St. Augustine and also UNF. The thing is, my GPA isn't the greatest. My undergrad degree is in Exercise Science and my GPA is a 2.89. I have a couple of C's in the pre-req classes and one B-. This was because my husband was deployed overseas 3 different times while I was in school, my dad died in a car accident, and then my mom got breast cancer and was going through chemo and rad treatments. Too be honest, I'm surprised I even graduated!!! Anyway, since then I have completed my Master's degree in Human Movement and my overall GPA is a 3.6. However, NONE of my pre-req classes are with my graduate degree. They were taken during my undergrad which is where my GPA is low. I have excellent references from a civilian PT, an Army PT, an orthopedic surgeon, and a faculty staff member. I have personal training, pilates, and yoga certifications and have been working in that field (even doing post rehab) for about 6 years. I also am a Medical Service Officer in the Army National Guard, so military "medical" experience comes into play. Knowing this info and from all of your experience applying to schools, what is my likelihood of getting accepted? Most students apply with only a B.S.
degree, but their GPA is a lot higher. Also, should I write a letter explaining why my undergrad GPA is low? Thanks for your responses.

Honestly..I dont see you having a problem at all..Especially at the University of st. Augustine because they really place a lot of infasis on your interview and your whole package. You have to write an autobiography which will give you the oppertunity to explain your situation in undergrad. With all that you have accomplised since than, you are for sure a strong canidate. What did you get on your gre?..that can also help you out as well, if you have a strong score you are a shoe in, the gpa is a very small factor to be honest as long as you have other strong aspects you will be fine, especially experience and volunteering it shows your passion!
If i were you I would not eve worry about it, you shouldnt have a problem!
Good luck.

I'm currently at U. of. St. Augustine (USA). Your chances of getting into UNF and USA are good. I think the main focus should be having close to a 3.0 in pre reqs and at least 1100 on GRE. I was in a similar situation and I think my MS in Exercise Science degree was a big deciding factor because you have proven to be successful in grad school. But just to warn you, my MS was fairly easy compared to PT school !!

PS. If you are willing to move, you can almost certainly get into FIU in Miami.

Hey, I have an interview at the San Diego Campus next Friday July 31. Do you think the interview questions are similar?

I just got accepted into the DPT program of St. Augustine... the interview had similar questions to the ones listed above. However here are a few others that may help other students prepare.
How would you feel if the government tried to pass a national anti-smoking law?
If you wanted to change someones opinion, what would you do?
What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?

My essay & other essays were:
What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?
Define integrity.
What is professionalism?

My advice to anyone interviewing would be to be confident, smile alot, keep good eye contact and be very honest and sincere in your answers. I also wore a pink shirt to stand out among others (almost everyone wears black or white). Ask as many questions as possible during interview!

Even though I was INCREDIBLY nervous I got accepted for the January 2010 class in San Diego. Woohoo!

I just got accepted into the DPT program of St. Augustine... the interview had similar questions to the ones listed above. However here are a few others that may help other students prepare.
How would you feel if the government tried to pass a national anti-smoking law?
If you wanted to change someones opinion, what would you do?
What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?

My essay & other essays were:
What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?
Define integrity.
What is professionalism?

My advice to anyone interviewing would be to be confident, smile alot, keep good eye contact and be very honest and sincere in your answers. I also wore a pink shirt to stand out among others (almost everyone wears black or white). Ask as many questions as possible during interview!

Even though I was INCREDIBLY nervous I got accepted for the January 2010 class in San Diego. Woohoo!

Hey, CONGRATS! I got in, too! I'll see you at the San Diego campus in January.

All of the questions they asked my group (3 people) were pretty basic. Why do you want to be a PT, why have you chosen st. augustine over other schools, name a difficult situation and how you handled it, how do you handle stress and when do you know you are stressed, do you feel you lead a healthy lifestyle, and what is a time when you changed your priorities/view points about something. I had a lot of good questions planned to ask them at the end (since that's always really good to do in an interview), but we were actually pretty rushed and didn't have time to ask them any questions at the end!

Anyway, I was super nervous as well, but tried not to show it. Definitely smile a lot and try to give a good reason for choosing st. augustine over other schools (not just for the beach)!

My essay question was what will you contribute to your fellow students. Just had 3 things and wrote a 5 paragraph essay.

Hope this helps future applicants ;)

hey thanks for all of the advice given about the interveiw process. i got in and im really excited.

thanks again.

hey they asked the same things! except for the peanut butter! I think the only one I could add is what would I do If someone offered me a copy of an upcomming test. And my essay question was something like what's more important in a prefession, science or arts (or something like that =S ). Oh and I loved the city too, there are a lot of cute and nice local places to see. I remember we had breakfast in a really beautiful little place that had the best banana pancakes ever!!! LOL good luck!

Thanks for all the advice i got in and im very excited
thanks again.s

Members don't see this ad :)
How much time is it from the application deadline until I am contacted to get an interview or not?

How much time is it from the application deadline until I am contacted to get an interview or not?

the first interview date is usually a month and a half after the application deadline... in the group i interviewed with, some of us heard back about the interview a few weeks after the deadline, and others didn't hear back until about a week before the actual interview date! if you have everything in, including letters of rec, transcripts, and gre scores, you'll probably hear back within a few weeks. I'm guessing you applied Oct. 1 for May enrollment?

Hey RYDPT, I am also applying for the May class and I had the same question! I have everything in but my GRE scores, so hopefully I will hear something soon!

Woohoo!!! Stoked!!

Recieved the email and got an interview for November!!!

Round one is down :)

I applied for the May term and had my app in on Sept. 24. I found out on Tuesday October 6. I have all my information in except two prerequisite courses I'm finishing up in a couple months.

Woohoo!!! Stoked!!

Recieved the email and got an interview for November!!!

Round one is down :)

I applied for the May term and had my app in on Sept. 24. I found out on Tuesday October 6. I have all my information in except two prerequisite courses I'm finishing up in a couple months.

See you in San Diego!

Hi, I'm applying to St. Augustine for the Fall of 2010. I found a lot of the information everyone has provided to be very helpful. I was wondering if anyone would mind looking at my academic profile and let me know what my chances are of getting into St. Augustine.

GPA: 3.7
Pre Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 800 (so low! I am terrible at standardized tests and I just hope the rest of my application will stand out so that the GRE doesn't ruin my chances! I'm taking it again at the end of the month).
Clinial Experience: 3,000 hours in an outpatient orthopedic clinic and 40 hours inpatient in the Neuro-Rehab/TBI unit and Pulmonary/Infectious Disease Unit

Also, what do they look for in the Autobiography versus the Personal statement? Can anyone give me some advice on some key points to put in my essays? Thank in advance!

Hi, to anyone that may be answering aksexton's question about autobiography and personal statement for USA.

Can you please answer in the forum because I am also wondering about the essays. If not, can you please PM me.

thanks in advance

i think you definitely have a very good chance of getting in, i think your GPAs show your academic integrity and i think they know that standardized tests aren't everyone's strong point! i had lower GPAs than you but higher GRE scores (not anything stellar though) and got accepted for the class starting in january. so don't be discouraged! as for the autobiography vs. personal statement, i think in the autobiography they want to know what makes you you, and any life experiences that have influenced who you are, etc. for the personal statement its more specifically about why you want to be a PT, why you chose to apply at st. augustine, etc. anyway, hope that helps! feel free to send me a message if you'd like any help/info :)

Thanks a lot! That did help. I just hope that they don't rely too heavily on the GRE scores because that would be devastating and it doesn't accurately measure how well of a physical therapist I will be or how determined I am to become one.

I pretty much have my personal statement written. I just need to add more about why I choose St. Augustine. Are they looking for any specific information besides how strong they are in manual therapy (ie: Stanely Paris) and professionalism. Have they been recipients of any major awards or anything?

Could anybody tell me how many applicants were present at their USA interview? If you respond could you please include which trimester you applied for.

Could anybody tell me how many applicants were present at their USA interview? If you respond could you please include which trimester you applied for.

I applied for January 2010 (and got in!!). The interview was July 31... there were about 30 people there and we split into 3 groups. Each group took turns doing interview, tour, and essay. In my actual interview there were three of us. There were more interview dates for the same trimester I beleive.

That was mine actually (the arts and sciences one)
I am currently applying to St. Augustine. What is the deal with the essay question? Is it something that goes with the interview?

There is a "surprise" essay during the interview at St. Augustine. I think they just wanna know if you can put your thoughts in paper within a short time and no preparation. It felt like a pop quiz, I was cut off guard but did well. Good luck and be ready.

I have an interview with the San Diego campus this Friday and I wasn't nervous until today. Now I'm getting a little anxious! Ive been reading all the awesome comments people have left already and they are extremely helpful! Does anyone know who interviews you at the SD campus? Is it Dr. Wanda Nitsch or other faculty? Was it intimidating having to interview with another prospective student by your side? Also, did they ask each person a different question or ask one and expect each prospective student to answer one at a time? How did that work? I think that's what worries me the most!

Hello everyone,

I was officially admitted for the DPT program in the University of St. Augustine. My GPA is 3.72 but I have not been able to get 1000 on the GRE. They told me on the interview that my acceptance depends on the GRE scores but I want to know if somebody has had the experience of being admitted with a GRE score less than 1000.

Thanksss:thumbup:

Yes I know tons of people who have had less than that at usa, but lately it has been very competitive since they are title 4 approved, Did they tell you in your interview you were accepted ? Or did you find out you were accepted on the terms if you make a 1000 on gre? They are usually not picky about GRE so that suprises me.

Hello everyone,

I was officially admitted for the DPT program in the University of St. Augustine. My GPA is 3.72 but I have not been able to get 1000 on the GRE. They told me on the interview that my acceptance depends on the GRE scores but I want to know if somebody has had the experience of being admitted with a GRE score less than 1000.

Thanksss:thumbup:

Yeah, don't worry about it! You're in! I got 860 the first time & I knew I would be asked to retake it, so I had the date set to take it again when I applied. I got 920 the second time (after taking a class and everything!), and I'm definitely still in (starting January!). My GPA was around same as yours. :) They just want you to try and improve even if you don't reach 1000.

Your numbers are good enough. They are definately more interested in who you are as a person and your passion for the field. This should be shown through your bio and statement of purpose. Dress for what you think would be professional, I would say nothing less than a suit and a smile. Its a big time interview so bring yourself to the table and show them why they should accept you. They are super cool and easy to talk to so, be yourself and smile.
I was accepted with lower numbers so don't worry about that anymore and get to learning about important topics in the field and working on the topics discussed in this forum. They will come up in the interview.

Last edited:
hi everyone... i'm brand new here. i'm so excited to see this site. it's exactly what i've been looking for!

anyways, I just applied for the USA Fall 2010 semester and i'm so nervous. how long past the deadline did anyone hear back? my overall gpa is barely a 3.0 and my prerequisites are a little higher. is anyone or was anyone in a similar situation?? ughh stresssss! thank you

I am also applying for the Fall of 2010. I got an email about two/three weeks ago (or more) and got an interview for February 26th for the Fall 2010 DPT program. This school is on my top three if not #1. I'm flying down to do the interview and just booked everything. I'v been reading the posts and they provide a lot of help. Has anyone else gotten an interview for this Fall? I hope that the questions are the same because I have been looking over all the help people have provided. I was just wondering if I am in the first wave of interviews or if I am on a later date of interviews? Any one get an interview date earler or later?

when did you turn your application in if you don't mind me asking? I sent mine towards the end of the 1st week of December and have not heard anything yet.

dannigrl, I submitted my app about the same time (Dec. 8th I believe). I was starting to worry too. I called them and asked if they had gotten everything that was required. They told me they had and they were about half way through reviewing and processing my app. Once that is done, they will let me know of their decision immediately. So I'm sure you and I are in the same boat.

For those of you who did find out about whether you received an interview or not, how long did it take to hear back from USA?

My application arrived on December 15. I received an e-mail on 12/23/09 indicating they received my application. They asked me if I would like to submit for May 2010 cycle. I agreed to allow this thinking it may help my chances. I was told in an informational session that they receive the least amount of applicants for May cycle. September is their most competitive.

On 1/5/10, they emailed me again to state they submitted my application for May 2010 and would contact me should they find something missing.

On 1/11/10, they email an interview invitation for either 1/22/10 or 2/12/10. I work full-time, and 1/22/10 is too close for me. So I accepted 2/12/10.

Now I'm trying to make flight/hotel/rental car (I'm 24 which means I have to pay an extra fee to rent a car) arrangements. I'm nervous because I'll be traveling from Louisiana, and I have never traveled on my own like this. I come from a small town. Hehe.
BTW: I applied for San Diego. I wanted to get out of the South.

Hope this helps.

I sent my application in late November, They got back to me with in two weeks I would say... From what I hear they interview around 200+ which is really crazy. I'm sure you will hear back from them but they may ask you to apply for a later start date as they did for that other student that just posted. I think they interview everyone who has completed all the classes (or will) so just sit back and wait for your date, Im almost 100% sure you will get one

I am also applying for the Fall of 2010. I got an email about two/three weeks ago (or more) and got an interview for February 26th for the Fall 2010 DPT program. This school is on my top three if not #1. I'm flying down to do the interview and just booked everything. I'v been reading the posts and they provide a lot of help. Has anyone else gotten an interview for this Fall? I hope that the questions are the same because I have been looking over all the help people have provided. I was just wondering if I am in the first wave of interviews or if I am on a later date of interviews? Any one get an interview date earler or later?

I have an interview at St. Augustine on the same date. It's possible that we may be the first wave of applicants since they are most likely still interviewing for the may semester. When did you get your application in? I got an email saying that the received mine on nov 4th

My application arrived on December 15. I received an e-mail on 12/23/09 indicating they received my application. They asked me if I would like to submit for May 2010 cycle. I agreed to allow this thinking it may help my chances. I was told in an informational session that they receive the least amount of applicants for May cycle. September is their most competitive.

On 1/5/10, they emailed me again to state they submitted my application for May 2010 and would contact me should they find something missing.

On 1/11/10, they email an interview invitation for either 1/22/10 or 2/12/10. I work full-time, and 1/22/10 is too close for me. So I accepted 2/12/10.

Now I'm trying to make flight/hotel/rental car (I'm 24 which means I have to pay an extra fee to rent a car) arrangements. I'm nervous because I'll be traveling from Louisiana, and I have never traveled on my own like this. I come from a small town. Hehe.
BTW: I applied for San Diego. I wanted to get out of the South.

Hope this helps.

It was a smart choice to switch your application to May 2010 application cycle because it is the least competitive and this year it was apparent. I applied to May 2010 and was accepted :). When i attended the interview there was about 60 or so other applicants there, and I was given the impression that they had a few more still attending later but not nearly the same number that was present at that time. I have applied and interviewed and quite a few other PT departments (8 to be exact, 4 were phone interviews) and it seems to me that this school puts more weight on the interview than the others I have experienced. Temple University actually said that the interview counts for 5% of the total application, of course I did not find that out till after I traveled from WA to PA! I don't want to intimidate anyone with this but rather to give people a heads up so they will prepare beforehand. This forum actually has a WEALTH of info that helped me greatly in preparing. The interviewer actually gave me some informal feedback later on and told me I did very well. So here is my interview breakdown for anyone else who is interested.

Interview
professionalism is desired at this school so start off by dressing well, smiling, and trying to make good eye contact (the obvious stuff). But more than that, one of the interview questions asked was: what does professionalism mean to you? or something along those lines. The interview is done in a group, at mine their was one other applicant, a professor, and another part-time prof. who also was a local practitioner. The interviewers would take turns asking questions, and took turns in addressing myself or the other applicant. Here is a list of both questions asked in my interview, and potential questions asked by USA ad-com I gathered on this forum.

• Why do you want to be a PT?
  • Why did you choose to apply to our school?
  • What stands out to you about this program over others?
  • What did you like most about your observation hours? Least?
  • How will you handle the stress/course load of the program?
  • Name a time when you failed, how did you handle it?
  • Chunky or creamy peanut butter? Haha, they really asked me that!
  • what would you bring to a picnic?
  • What would I do if someone offered me a copy of an upcoming test?
  • what would you do if while attending PT school you caught a friend of yours cheating on an exam?
  • How would you feel if Government tried to pass a national anti-smoking law?
  • If you wanted to change someones opinion, what would you do?
  • What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
  • What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?
  • name a time you struggled and what you did to overcome it?
  • what was your most challenging course in school and how did you adapt to it?
  • Define integrity.
  • name a difficult situation and how you handled it
  • how do you handle stress and when do you know you are stressed
  • do you feel you lead a healthy lifestyle
  • what is a time when you changed your priorities/view points about something
  • what's your favorite food?
  • what was an obstacle in your life and how we overcame it?
  • what did we consider leadership and an example?
  • then we were given 3 scenarios one of us a had a patient who was a smoker..one was over weight..and one did not do home exercises and we had to reply with how we would approach the patient and help change their bad habits
  • finally what is one of our weaknesses?
  • Describe a current political issue in healthcare/physical therapy?
  • what about physical therapy interests you?
  • Do you work better in a group or by yourself and why?

They will probably not ask you these exact questions but you can get from this the type of questions they ask: how you handle stress, ethics, ability to reflect on past experiences and learn from them, some funny/light-hearted questions, stuff on the school, something about if you work well in a group, some questions just to get to know who you are, and why you are interested in PT.

Essay
You are assigned an essay statement or question and given some time to compose a response. You are given about 45 minutes I believe. My essay question was: what does the phrase "quality of life" mean to you, and how does it relate to healthcare. Other questions that I have gathered from this forum are:

• what is more important to you, the science or the art of physical therapy?
  • What have you done to demonstrate your commitment to pursuing a career in PT?
  • What is the most important quality for a PT to posses?
  • What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?
  • what will you contribute to your fellow students?

This was the information I used to prepare for my interview, and it helped immensely. I scourged the website to gather it all, and now here it is all nicely bundled for you future USA students. Good luck! and if I see you on campus I will accept a beer for gratuity :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and I also have an interview on the 26th. Is anyone in here applying to the dual-degree program?

Thanks, Shugo. So you are officially enrolled at St. Augustine? I am very worried about the debt. Are you worried about the cost of the tuition?

Think about it as a career choice. Your setting yourself up to have a well paying job for a long time (a job that will pay well enough to pay off this type of debt). Anyone pursuing a degree like this is going to inccur debt including doctors, chiropractors, ect. It is definately a commitment to a career you should want to be involved in for the long haul.

Hey everyone, I am new to this site. I just sent my applicaiton in for fall semester with the deadline of Dec 15. I graduated with a Kinesiology major with emphasis in Clinical Exercise Physiology.
My GPA: 3.35 over all
3.41 departmental
My GRE: 950
Only took my GRE twice before the dealine and didn't get the application off till the week before it was due.
I was worrying about my chances, and if I had a shot at getting an interview. Also I was wondering when I would most likely hear from them if I was going to get one?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ges1287

Hey ges1287,

I cant speak as to your chances..but as far as when they might get back to you..
They received my application on December 13th and I emailed them yesterday (since I hadnt heard a word) and they said they had received it but hadnt finished processing it. So yeah..I would assume you are in the same boat. Let me know if you do hear anything. Which campus did you apply to? I did the san marcos campus..sooo hoping for an interview! Good luck!

I am applying to the University of St. Augustine campus. I just graduated from Mississippi State University, so I figured it wasn't too bad of a drive. I also had over 350 + observation so I hope they consider my experience. Good Luck to you as well.[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Hello everyone,

So I applied to USA's SD campus for the Fall 2011 class, however they emailed me and told me that due to increase in highly qualified applicants they were unable to grant me admissions but they were deferring my application for the January 2012 Spring Class. They said that they only deferred a few they felt were strongly qualified for the next class.

Luckily, I have received an email this past May stating that I have been invited for an interview that will be held in August 5th, 2011. :love:

FOR ANY CURRENT USA STUDENTS OR ALUMNI: Have any of you or your fellow classmates been placed in the same predicament as me? If so, do you think I have a high chance of getting into the school? I would appreciate any stories similar to this situation. :)

I am really hoping to go to USA! It's my first choice. At least, my first choice hasn't rejected me yet.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!!