Interview Attire Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master3930

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wore a grey suit and a fedora to an interview, how would that look? Yes, I am italian, yes this is supposed to be somewhat lighthearted

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it.

Blue shirt, blue tie, Black Suit with black shoes and black belt is standard Business Formal and appropriate for medical school interviews correct?

If I wore a grey suit and a fedora to an interview, how would that look?
It's all about the details. What look were you going for?
Yes or Nah?
index_clip_image002.jpg
D_Zoot_Suit.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Blue shirt, blue tie, Black Suit with black shoes and black belt is standard Business Formal and appropriate for medical school interviews correct?
In all seriousness, I was planning on wearing a grey suit with a grey tie. Too many people wear black

Reactions: 1 user
In all seriousness, I was planning on wearing a grey suit with a grey tie. Too many people wear black

I guess that since a lot of people wear black, then thats appropriate?

Im pretty sure as long as you arent wearing a tie with a sports team on it and you're wearing a solid color suit (black or grey) youre fine

I think you could even get away with pinstripes. But I would definitely not go with the fedora . . .

Just to clarify this was a joke mostly lol. Everyone is always so uptight in here I thought this might relax everyone it is friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify this was a joke mostly lol. Everyone is always so uptight in here I thought this might relax everyone it is friday!

Lol and here I was thinking "this sounds like the uniform of a Reddit MRA..."

Is that more in the right spirit? :p

Or just one of those long t shirts that Has a buff guy torso on the front

Or just one of those long t shirts that Has a buff guy torso on the front
That would be entertaining. I would really be curious what an interviewer might think if someone showed up in a tux though

Black has been pretty standard med school interview attire for about 15 years. This past year I noticed a trend away from black to shades of gray and dark blue.

Black, in my opinion, makes the tour look like a funeral procession and I'm glad to see a move away from black. Under no circumstances should you wear a fedora indoors.

Showing up in a tux... would make me think you were making the walk of shame from a fancy dress ball.

Reactions: 2 users
Showing up in a tux... would make me think you were making the walk of shame from a fancy dress ball.
HAHA
But in all seriousness, you do enjoy seeing different colors other than black. Do you have tie preferences?

I never took this as serious and I appreciate your sense of humor. Sadly, I did not fully understand the joke until I google searched "Fedora". At first, by merit of its name, I assumed it was some sort of colored sleeve, handkerchief or other extravagant accessory. I enjoyed this post, thank you.

@Catalystik I value the addition of pictures. Thank you.

Last edited:

I guess that since a lot of people wear black, then thats appropriate?

The consensus on this form is that black is for funerals. Pinstripes and vests are not what you see in Medicine either, so avoid those.

Navy blue or gray suits are what's best. I went with a navy blue suit (dark), light blue shirt, red tie, and dark brown (cognac) oxfords with a matching belt. Some will say the brown is more casual, but I just like the look better.

Sorry, I forgot I had a sense of humor and didn't realize the joke. I also didn't realize pinstripes were a no-go. I didn't see them very often on the interview trail, but I have seen physicians I have shadowed wear them (as well as vests. . . in fact I can say for a fact that at least one wore a pinstripe vest, but he may have been an outlier).

On the subject of @TheLionheart mentioning the red tie though, I have definitely heard of studies that say a red tie is the way to go for a confident look.

1000% agree with my learned colleague!

Black has been pretty standard med school interview attire for about 15 years. This past year I noticed a trend away from black to shades of gray and dark blue.

Black, in my opinion, makes the tour look like a funeral procession and I'm glad to see a move away from black. Under no circumstances should you wear a fedora indoors.

I have no idea what "Business Formal" means. I can tell you that noone in the business world would wear a black suit to work. The only acceptable colors are gray or navy blue.

for the love of god, don't pair navy and black. don't even wear a black suit, it screams "formal." get yourself a nice grey or navy suit, dark or light, doesn't matter. and for the sake of all that is holy, wear a damn pocket square. try not to look like you just bought the thing off a mannequin at men's warehouse.

I disagree with regard to the pocket square. it's a nice touch, but probably too over-the-top for a med school interview. keep it simple.

Reactions: 2 users
Say no to purple... it's ugly.

How you doin' #2 ;)

How does a navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie, and black shoes (would do brown, but I've been told they are for more relaxed situations) sound? Too "American-y?"

How does a navy blue suit, white shirt, red tie, and black shoes (would do brown, but I've been told they are for more relaxed situations) sound? Too "American-y?"

black shoes and a navy suit are a big no. black shoes only go with black, grey, and the occasional brown suit.

Virtually every men's style website I have visited disagrees with you.

I'm sure, I don't particularly follow the traditions of classic menswear, but its 2015 and style has evolved. I feel if you checked out styleforum or some similar menswear dedicated forum you would find that my opinion is pretty common in todays fashion.

Perhaps if you are interviewing at Einstein?

I'm sure, I don't particularly follow the traditions of classic menswear, but its 2015 and style has evolved. I feel if you checked out styleforum or some similar menswear dedicated forum you would find that my opinion is pretty common in todays fashion.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/matching-shoes-with-suit/

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/rules-of-mens-dress/

And one more from your beloved forum: http://www.styleforum.net/t/332971/new-navy-suit-what-color-shoes

Again. Virtually every site.

the styleforum link had people agreeing with both sides. I don't see a point in arguing this, I'm not the one who is going to look like I just came from a funeral. Wear chuck taylors for all I care.

the styleforum link had people agreeing with both sides. I don't see a point in arguing this, I'm not the one who is going to look like I just came from a funeral. Wear chuck taylors for all I care.

I realize you can wear both. That is not my issue. You are saying that black is not acceptable with navy, and that simply isn't true. On every site I've seen, it lists black as more appropriate than brown for an interview. I have no doubt I could get away with brown on interview day (and I am more partial to brown), I just want you to accept the fact that you're wrong on this point. That's all.

On that site, they also list it as "appropriate for interviews."

Lol?

yes, which is congruent with the infographic I linked. The difference is, one is also appropriate for funerals. Plus it gives me way too much of a naval officer vibe.

I realize you can wear both. That is not my issue. You are saying that black is not acceptable with navy, and that simply isn't true. On every site I've seen, it lists black as more appropriate than brown for an interview. I have no doubt I could get away with brown on interview day (and I am more partial to brown), I just want you to accept the fact that you're wrong on this point. That's all.

IMO navy and black anything together looks like ****. You wouldn't wear a navy shirt with a black suit. I'm not wrong, this is my opinion. You are the one who asked for advice.

IMO navy and black anything together looks like ****. You wouldn't wear a navy shirt with a black suit. I'm not wrong, this is my opinion. You are the one who asked for advice.

Alright. Now that we've established it's simply your opinion, I rest my case. You are more than entitled to that, as am I. I thank you for your input.

Well, unless you plan on telling the interviewer you just left your grandmother's funeral to score some points...

That infographic you gave me also says black suits are only suitable for funerals. So, this means everyone showing up in black suits (95% of the population) will be viewed much the same.

Black shoes with a navy suit is acceptable for an interview. I'm sorry it isn't favorable in your mind, but that doesn't really change the rules regarding fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.