Interview Attire Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That infographic you gave me also says black suits are only suitable for funerals. So, this means everyone showing up in black suits (95% of the population) will be viewed much the same.

Black shoes with a navy suit is acceptable for an interview. I'm sorry it isn't favorable in your mind, but that doesn't really change the rules regarding fashion.

In all seriousness and at risk of sounding corny, there are no rules in fashion. Only suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't wear a black suit to an interview if you can avoid it. I found it interesting that almost every guy at my medical school interviews wore black suits, but I'm not sure any of them made the same choice while interviewing for residency. Apparently people learn the "rules" as they go along.

You can wear black, brown, or burgundy shoes with a navy suit. The burgundy might be the most fashionable, but you should feel comfortable with your appearance, and if you're not particularly fashion forward, black's probably the safer choice. Then you have to consider that some people feel you should only be wearing black shoes in a formal setting, so you're safe if you have a stodgy interviewer. And finally, you probably don't have a big wardrobe of suits and shoes, so it makes sense to start building it with the basics that you can pair with all kinds of looks in the coming years. Black shoes can be paired with lots of things, burgundy, not so much.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.