Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enwysefinest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering... Is dental school interview attire supposed to be as conservative as med school interview attire for guys (boxy dark pinstipred suit, button cuffs, conservative tie, etc) or is it acceptable or even encouraged to look as good as u can ( tailored slimmer 2 button suit, nice tie, cufflinks, maybe a pocket square to match a tone on the tie, etc). Beauty seems more important in dentistry so I dont think that being more fashionable should count against you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering... Is dental school interview attire supposed to be as conservative as med school interview attire for guys (boxy dark pinstipred suit, button cuffs, conservative tie, etc) or is it acceptable or even encouraged to look as good as u can ( tailored slimmer 2 button suit, nice tie, cufflinks, maybe a pocket square to match a tone on the tie, etc). Beauty seems more important in dentistry so I dont think that being more fashionable should count against you.

here's a tip to a guaranteed acceptance.. no.. please thank me later!

008001550gld.jpg

Just show up wearing scrubs and don't forget to wear latex gloves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also recommended by an adcom not to be named here...

mdnew1g.jpg

They love these ties!!! Let me know how your interview turns out - if they don't accept you on the spot, I would be very, very suprised!! In fact, the only ties that I have seen at d schools are dentally related ties!

:laugh: :laugh:

This might sound like an odd observation; but I've to both med school and dental school interviews, and one thing that stuck out in my mind was that the dental school candidates were definitely more fashion conscious and better dressed. Just thought it was weird, but I like your reasoning about dentistry being more aesthetic... it all makes sense now. :)

You should probably alter your attire based on the interview. If you are interviewing at NYU, you may want to be a little more tailored. However, if you are going to Loma Linda you will want to be less showy and more conservative. For all of my interviews I wore a conservative style suit, and by the looks of the people that interviewed me, they did not care about fashion. One of my interviewers actually asked me about the current trend to bleach teeth (she asked it in a very negative tone). I admitted to her that I do bleach my teeth. After that, she was a lot more difficult.

I went the conservative route and regret it a bit, now I have a suit I'll never wear again (maybe to a funeral)

It's mostly your stats and demeanor that count, any program that would reject you based on your dress (to a point, I'd steer away from jeans and a t-shirt ;) ) is a program you didn't want to go to anyway.

I'm looking for the perfect color combo for a shirt and tie, to go with a black suit.

If you want to leave an impression, go for the gusto.

zoot_suit_orange.jpg

I wore a pink tie and every one of the interviewers loved it...
Pink means sexy~~~

Definitely go for something that looks good on you. Try and stand out though. Wear maybe a tie that is more vibrant. It gives you more personality. I definitely agree with the pink tie thing that ddsjymaeng was talking about. Of course only do that if pink looks good on you. =P You don't want to look like a clown, wearing colors that don't coordinate and what not, but everyone that i've seen at their interviews are nicely dressed with tailored suits for SURE. Don't do the boring Black/Navy blue suit with a white or blue dress shirt and some blue/silver tie. Do something that stands out more. Perhaps get a vibrant color for a tie, or for girls, a brighter dress shirt underneath the blazer. Maybe you can go for school colors on the tie or something. =P just a thought

javascript:DynObject.all.DynObject15.ZoomSpot();

:laugh: I was just about to say navy pinstripe suit with a white shirt and pink tie!

Some oxblood shoes and belt and you'll be looking better then the faculty!