Interview clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. back to this.
My suit from med school interviews is long gone.

Pants or skirt? Shoes?
Best places to look?
Would wanting navy be a bad look? (Brown shoes then?)
What about a the dress/jumper piece with a blazer?

I am a person who wears a dress most clinical days because it otherwise takes too much time to plan outfits.

Please assist lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pants yes. Suit jacket yes. Navy with brown shoes yes. Shoes flats. Try Limited Express - professional but youthful. Plus, any department store. Carry a portfolio with notepad. You got this!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m having serious flashbacks to applying to medical school.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This may sound silly, but should we have a suit that’s of a warmer material for interviews, considering that it’ll be cold AF in Nov-Dec? Especially in the North-east.

This may sound silly, but should we have a suit that’s of a warmer material for interviews, considering that it’ll be cold AF in Nov-Dec? Especially in the North-east.
You’ll be inside where there’s heat and be nervous. I wouldn’t want warmer materials.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh. Ffs. Don’t dress like a stripper or a hooker. It’s an interview not a night out at the club. This isn’t rocket science.

No. One. Cares. Outside of the outrageous extreme ends. Wear what YOU like and feel confident in. If that’s a skirt go skirt. If that’s heels go heels. Don’t like things fitted or tight? Don’t wear that. Etc. etc.

Dress suit. No messing with boob gap, you will feel more comfortable and you can change the hem easily based on your shoes.

imageedit_3_6986033536.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'd love to wear a midi sheath dress + blazer with pumps.... opinions?
Should I stick to the suit only tradition?

I want the same with flats. But idk if that is okay

I want the same with flats. But idk if that is okay

Read on an old thread for residency interviews that someone wore that combo + black Rothys flats and got compliments from interviewers wearing the same shoes so probably ultimately fine!

Yes that should be fine. For fellowship interviews I did something similar- dress with blazer and wedges. I didn’t want to buy another suit that I’d likely not wear regularly. Now I have a dress and a blazer that I do wear and can dress up and down as needed.

As long as you’re not wearing jeans and flip flops I certainly haven’t judged what any interviewees have worn.

Suits are the only "business professional" option.
There are sheath dresses with matching jackets that would serve this purpose.
The jacket must match in color and fabric (no metal buttons).
Pumps are good.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your post, I'm going to assume you're a woman. Most women that I saw among our interviewing candidates worse a suit - often a skirt in the warmer months (we're in the south, thus it remains quite warm through September) and pants in the cooler months. Black was the most common color though there was the occasional navy blue thrown in. I don't remember seeing any applicants that simply wore a dress +/- blazer, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Since our interview day includes a walking tour of the campus, many would bring more comfortable shoes for the tour (and they were encouraged both to bring an extra pair of shoes and wear them), but I'd say a good number wore heels for the actual interviews.

Based on your post, I'm going to assume you're a woman. Most women that I saw among our interviewing candidates worse a suit - often a skirt in the warmer months (we're in the south, thus it remains quite warm through September) and pants in the cooler months. Black was the most common color though there was the occasional navy blue thrown in. I don't remember seeing any applicants that simply wore a dress +/- blazer, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Since our interview day includes a walking tour of the campus, many would bring more comfortable shoes for the tour (and they were encouraged both to bring an extra pair of shoes and wear them), but I'd say a good number wore heels for the actual interviews.

Yes, female.
I just do not want a black suit at all lol

Im just not at all comfortable in heels, which is why I asked at all.

WHAT ABOUT NAIL COLOR?!

WHAT ABOUT NAIL COLOR?!
I'm thinking nude/light colors are a safe option? Although a deep red or burgundy would be so pretty for fall :love:

Also, just wanted to hop on here and ask what people usually wear for the pre-interview dinner?!

Also, just wanted to hop on here and ask what people usually wear for the pre-interview dinner?!

I'm planning on business casual unless told otherwise. I would rather err on the side of too dressed up/formal/buttoned up as opposed to too casual. In cold locations this will probably translate to dressy sweater, slacks, and boots. If I do a heel it will be a low, comfortable, block heel.