Interview clothing

Started by ciestar
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah.. back to this.
My suit from med school interviews is long gone.

Pants or skirt? Shoes?
Best places to look?
Would wanting navy be a bad look? (Brown shoes then?)
What about a the dress/jumper piece with a blazer?

I am a person who wears a dress most clinical days because it otherwise takes too much time to plan outfits.

Please assist lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may sound silly, but should we have a suit that’s of a warmer material for interviews, considering that it’ll be cold AF in Nov-Dec? Especially in the North-east.
 
Oh. Ffs. Don’t dress like a stripper or a hooker. It’s an interview not a night out at the club. This isn’t rocket science.

No. One. Cares. Outside of the outrageous extreme ends. Wear what YOU like and feel confident in. If that’s a skirt go skirt. If that’s heels go heels. Don’t like things fitted or tight? Don’t wear that. Etc. etc.
 
Dress suit. No messing with boob gap, you will feel more comfortable and you can change the hem easily based on your shoes.
 
imageedit_3_6986033536.jpg
 
I'd love to wear a midi sheath dress + blazer with pumps.... opinions?
Should I stick to the suit only tradition?

Yes that should be fine. For fellowship interviews I did something similar- dress with blazer and wedges. I didn’t want to buy another suit that I’d likely not wear regularly. Now I have a dress and a blazer that I do wear and can dress up and down as needed.

As long as you’re not wearing jeans and flip flops I certainly haven’t judged what any interviewees have worn.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd love to wear a midi sheath dress + blazer with pumps.... opinions?
Should I stick to the suit only tradition?
Suits are the only "business professional" option.
There are sheath dresses with matching jackets that would serve this purpose.
The jacket must match in color and fabric (no metal buttons).
Pumps are good.
 
Based on your post, I'm going to assume you're a woman. Most women that I saw among our interviewing candidates worse a suit - often a skirt in the warmer months (we're in the south, thus it remains quite warm through September) and pants in the cooler months. Black was the most common color though there was the occasional navy blue thrown in. I don't remember seeing any applicants that simply wore a dress +/- blazer, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Since our interview day includes a walking tour of the campus, many would bring more comfortable shoes for the tour (and they were encouraged both to bring an extra pair of shoes and wear them), but I'd say a good number wore heels for the actual interviews.
 
Based on your post, I'm going to assume you're a woman. Most women that I saw among our interviewing candidates worse a suit - often a skirt in the warmer months (we're in the south, thus it remains quite warm through September) and pants in the cooler months. Black was the most common color though there was the occasional navy blue thrown in. I don't remember seeing any applicants that simply wore a dress +/- blazer, but I'm sure it happened at some point.

Since our interview day includes a walking tour of the campus, many would bring more comfortable shoes for the tour (and they were encouraged both to bring an extra pair of shoes and wear them), but I'd say a good number wore heels for the actual interviews.

Yes, female.
I just do not want a black suit at all lol

Im just not at all comfortable in heels, which is why I asked at all.
 
Also, just wanted to hop on here and ask what people usually wear for the pre-interview dinner?!

I'm planning on business casual unless told otherwise. I would rather err on the side of too dressed up/formal/buttoned up as opposed to too casual. In cold locations this will probably translate to dressy sweater, slacks, and boots. If I do a heel it will be a low, comfortable, block heel.