Interview day accommodation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a question.
Usually how much does an inn cost? Let's say Holiday Inn for example?

Also, if the interview day start at around 7am in the morning, is it a good idea to book an airticket that arrive at around 11pm the day before and stay in the airport, or buy the ticket that arrive at around 2pm the day before and look for hotel room?

Thanks for help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a question.

Also, if the interview day start at around 7am in the morning, is it a good idea to book an airticket that arrive at around 11pm the day before and stay in the airport, or buy the ticket that arrive at around 2pm the day before and look for hotel room?

Thanks for help.

I'm arriving at afternoon the day before. There is no way I'm staying in the airport overnight.

Hey I have a question.

Thanks for help.

You got a 40 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
A cheap hotel can be like $40-120/night depending on the city and the area you need to be in. I wouldn't want to stay in an airport the night before my interview, but that's just me.

Book your hotel in advance, and call them and say you'll be checking in late. If you're ok with only getting like 5 (or less) hours of sleep, it's ok to get in at 11 and interview at 7 the next morning. Though, I don't know of any school that makes you get up quite that early... I had the first interview of the day at AECOM when I interviewed there and I was there before the office opened. My interview was scheduled for like 8:30.

Personally, I've been in situations where my flight got delayed, and I didn't get in until 2 am. Thankfully, I had a wonderfully understanding host, and an afternoon interview the next day. Then, two nights later, I didn't end up getting to my lodging place until like 11 at night, because I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get out to the suburbs on the subway.

I know a guy who got a 35. He retook it and got a 45.

Going to Stanford in the fall.

Oh yeah? I know a guy who got a 48 and then a (3 + 7i). He had to retake it because of a computer malfunction.

It should go without saying that this didn't actually happen. Don't panic if you're taking the MCAT tomorrow.

Hey I have a question.

Thanks for help.

Don't stay at the airport. Do yourself a favor and check in at a discount hotel and relax the night before the interview. Use Expedia to look up the rates and then go to the hotel website to see if you could get an even better rate. Make sure you get complimentary wifi or Internet access with your room. An iron and a complimentary breakfast would help, too. On the day of the checkout ask the hotel if you could leave your bag(s) with them till after the interview and then arrange for a Blue Shuttle to take you to the airport from the hotel.

You could also go to www.couchsurfing.com and find some people to stay with the night before the interview.

Last edited:
I once heard an medical school admissions guy say that people from California, usually underestimate the time difference and get in late to the city late the night before and end up feeling (and looking) tired for the interview. So i am going to try and get in the afternoon before at the latest.

I once heard an medical school admissions guy say that people from California, usually underestimate the time difference and get in late to the city late the night before and end up feeling (and looking) tired for the interview. So i am going to try and get in the afternoon before at the latest.

It's a good idea to go on Google and use their maps to estimate travel times.
Also, travel from west to east is killer because of jet lag and having to wake up super early. Travel from east to west is easier in that regard.

It's a good idea to go on Google and use their maps to estimate travel times.
Also, travel from west to east is killer because of jet lag and having to wake up super early. Travel from east to west is easier in that regard.

This does suck. Living in CO (MT) and interviewing first thing in the morning in NY was really hard. I was running on about 4 hours sleep, all said and done.

But now I'm used to getting up at 4 in the morning, so getting up 'super early' won't be as much of a problem. That's one of the only benefits having my shift has right now.

if there is any way you can stay with a student, do it! It's free, you can learn a lot about the school, and it is often close to where you have to go for your interview. I did it at every school that offered it and didn't have a single negative experience

if there is any way you can stay with a student, do it! It's free, you can learn a lot about the school, and it is often close to where you have to go for your interview. I did it at every school that offered it and didn't have a single negative experience

Do you have to give some sort of gift to the student host?

You definitively don't "have to". It'll be courteous to give them a gift card or something

I was thinking more of taking them out to dinner. What do you think?

I don't know.... but Hook 'Em!!!

Oh yeah? I know a guy who got a 48 and then a (3 + 7i). He had to retake it because of a computer malfunction.

It should go without saying that this didn't actually happen. Don't panic if you're taking the MCAT tomorrow.

I know someone with a 4.0 and a 45 too. Also going to Stanford. Maybe its the same guy. :eyebrow: