Interview day: Going from suit to travel clothes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frickonastick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has tips on what the best way to transition from wearing your suit for your interview and then into casual clothes for a plane ride soon after. Is it best to change at the school, which I would imagine may be less weird (unless you run into your interviewer as you leave, already in jeans and a t-shirt), or wait until you get to the airport (which would eliminate any interview faux-pas, but I am of the belief that airport bathrooms have a higher 'ick' factor).

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on what the best way to transition from wearing your suit for your interview and then into casual clothes for a plane ride soon after. Is it best to change at the school, which I would imagine may be less weird (unless you run into your interviewer as you leave, already in jeans and a t-shirt), or wait until you get to the airport (which would eliminate any interview faux-pas, but I am of the belief that airport bathrooms have a higher 'ick' factor).

Any advice?

this is a great question and i too am wondering how to go about doing this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Business people for years have been flying in suits. It's really not that big of a deal.

I don't think anyone I can remember changed on their way out the door at my interviews last year. On the other hand, people look so different in normal clothing that I, and any interviewers, probably wouldn't have recognized them anyway, so don't worry too much about that.

PS for anyone who hasn't gotten their mansuit yet, Macy's currently has sweet deals on some very nice suits (normally ~500) for ~250-300. However, as an MS1, I get all my clothing at the scrub desk.

I think I would not change at the school--you're interviewing for a place in a "professional school" and I would like to maintain that image while in the buildings. I'll probably want to stop for Starbucks, buy a drink to unwind, and will probably duck into one of those bathrooms to change--hopefully a little more sanitary than some airports/train station bathrooms, etc.

Business people for years have been flying in suits. It's really not that big of a deal.

exactly, and we aren't business people that have years of experience of flying in suits. as for me, a girl, i think a skirt suit and pantyhose would be really uncomfortable, considering i'll have several hours of layover time in addition to the two flights.

I think I'll change out of my suit, while I could easily wear the suit on the flight, I'd then have to wear my suit on the train/cab back to my university and it'll end up being an extra 4-5 hours I'm wearing my suit that I don't have to. My suit is also nice and brand new and I don't feel like taking the chance on dirtying it up at all when I don't have to, so I'll probably change right after, and at those places I have a flight right after, I will at the airport.

exactly, and we aren't business people that have years of experience of flying in suits. as for me, a girl, i think a skirt suit and pantyhose would be really uncomfortable, considering i'll have several hours of layover time in addition to the two flights.

This is also my issue, I'm not sure I'll want to be in hose any longer than I have to be! And if I need to run through the airport, heaven forbid that there's a problem with my connection, I don't want to do so in heels! :eek:

I think the suggestion of a Starbucks is good, and the insight on being professional while in their buildings is good too. I'm thinking I'll sneak into another nearby building on campus, or find a bathroom near a building exit and far from the admissions office?

As someone that put on a few pounds in the year or two after buying his suit... I was looking to get out of it after an 8 hour interview day before flying or driving on a long trip home.

Your options are basically a bathroom at the med school, a gas station or the airport.

I've hit all 3 and it really doesn't make that big of a difference as long as you manage to pull of the quick shoe transition and keep anything valuable from hitting the floor.

Changing at the med school. After the interview, no one will care if they see you in casual clothes. They understand that you have traveling to do so don't sweat doing it there. You can even ask the admissions office where the best place to change is if you feel like it.

After that, it's all about what it convenient. Bathroom stalls are bathroom stalls but you can get changed in one and it really isn't a big deal.

EDIT: Post 3600!

This is also my issue, I'm not sure I'll want to be in hose any longer than I have to be! And if I need to run through the airport, heaven forbid that there's a problem with my connection, I don't want to do so in heels! :eek:

I think the suggestion of a Starbucks is good, and the insight on being professional while in their buildings is good too. I'm thinking I'll sneak into another nearby building on campus, or find a bathroom near a building exit and far from the admissions office?

I have never really understood why other girls hate hose so much. In regards to the heels, why not just bring a cute pair of flats. It might be a good idea to have anyway if your heels become uncomfortable.

Any advice?

at my vanderbilt interview ... everyone that i saw in the aiport (3 or 4 interviewess) had changed ... i just found one of those "family" bathrooms that are bigger and nicer and changed there ... I didn't want to fly 8 hrs in my suit ... plus my suitbag would keep my suit from getting wrinkled ...

I would change at the airport just because I want to make sure I don't miss my flight! If you want a little immediate comfort, I'm sure you could take your jacket off after your day at the school and then fully change later.

this is what i did (4 interviews):
-changed in a bathroom in a part of the school away from the med school (i was wandering around because i had time and decided to change)
-changed at my hotel because i had to stay an extra night because of flight scheduling
-changed in the airport bathroom
-changed at my sister's house

i always changed into khakis though and a nice shirt. someone once said to dress for your flight as if you may be sitting next to your interviewer. no that doesn't mean you have to wear your suit, but don't be wearing ratty jeans and a baseball hat stained with sweat.

someone once said to dress for your flight as if you may be sitting next to your interviewer. no that doesn't mean you have to wear your suit, but don't be wearing ratty jeans and a baseball hat stained with sweat.

HAHAHA ... well when im done with my interview im tired ... its on with the basketball shorts and tshirt ... honestly ... i could careless if the guy who interviewed me sat next to me ... i mean come on ... i have a 6 hour flight i want to be comfortable ... and anyone can understand that ...

lol, my parents and I were just talking about this. At one hotel I stayed at for an interview, there was a public restroom downstairs and so they let me come back to change there. When I emerged with normal clothes, there wree three other interviewees in line behind me haha.

(I didn't even have to pay extra or anything, and I had already checked out of that hotel.)

The fact that someone who wants to be a doctor had to post a message in a forum asking complete strangers when she should change clothes really frightens me...

If it's that hard to decide when you should change clothes, I don't want to imagine what it must look like when an interviewer asks you a tough question...ouch lol

The fact that someone who wants to be a doctor had to post a message in a forum asking complete strangers when she should change clothes really frightens me...

Well then I guess that it's a very good thing that my decision of where to change isn't one that will affect my treatment of patients! :rolleyes:

Anyway, just wanted to contribute that after changing in an airport (where I encountered a pretty nasty family-size bathroom) after my first interview, for the rest of mine I'll be changing on campus. I really don't really think anyone will care if they run into me in casual clothes on my way to the airport, and it was not fun changing in the airport (not to mention the extra time in heels)!

Well then I guess that it's a very good thing that my decision of where to change isn't one that will affect my treatment of patients! :rolleyes:

Anyway, just wanted to contribute that after changing in an airport (where I encountered a pretty nasty family-size bathroom) after my first interview, for the rest of mine I'll be changing on campus. I really don't really think anyone will care if they run into me in casual clothes on my way to the airport, and it was not fun changing in the airport (not to mention the extra time in heels)!

Well, this past friday, I left my stuff in my hotel while I went to my interview, came back, changed, then took the free shuttle to the airport. It was so refreshing to get out of my suit! LOL

Change AWAY from the school. I don't think its a very good idea to risk them seeing anything but your most professional self at the school.

Of my 4 interviews I changed back at my hotel at one (after taking a 30 min trip on a subway), one I changed when I got to the rental car place before my flight, one I changed at the airport, and one was close enough to my parents home that I just drove there and back in the suit.

Just wait until you get to the airport.