Interview day lunches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only have been on two so far:

UCI: Really good sandwiches with awesome gourmet bread, potato salad, fruit, fresh vegetables. Ate outside with other interviewees and students.

UCSD: Box lunches with decent sandwhiches, apple, chips, and oreos.

Members don't see this ad.

Mount Sinai= various kinds of sandwiches, wraps, cookies, drinks, chips.

Georgetown= lunch box contains sandwich, pecan pie slice, apple, salad, drinks.

SUNY Downstate= tuna sandwich, apple, and water.

Blue, stop giving me MORE reasons to love sinai... cookies?!? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, devil's chunk cookies, peanut butter cookies.:D

nooooooo... i swore to myself i wouldn't get too attached to any school...

Went to University of Kentucky today. Pretty standard lunch - roast beef sandwich box lunch with chips, a cookie, and a Coca-Cola. It was yummy.

went to aecom yesterday. cafeteria food. not so good. especially if you're a vegetarian.

my day at IU didn't start until noon. They only had a table with soft drinks and fruit :thumbdown:

One of the med students mentioned that they are trying for the first time to switch to "half day" interviews instead of "whole day." It was nice to be out of there in about 3 hours, but poorly put together as a whole.

Red beans and Rice and Sausage with Cookies at Tulane

Members don't see this ad :)
Touro (DO) - Khosher chinese food for lunch and bagels for Breakfast

Downstate- tuna or chicken salad sandwich, chips, apple, drink

Upstate - Lots of juices, lots of chips/junk food on the table and they had salads, and then a few different sandwiches although you can specify if you have dietary needs, which I did and they gave me fish.

South Carolina - salad, baked chicken, broccoli casserole, rolls, fruit.
Pitt - salad, barbeque chicken, steak with various peppers, hamburger / hot dog buns, fruit, and many cookies / brownies through the day.
MUSC - various salads / dressings, baked chicken, macaroni and cheese.

I'm definitely forgetting stuff but I can only remember what I ate myself. I believe Pitt offered water and soda, while the SC schools had sweet tea as another option (of course).

"So what's your specific interest in X?"

"Dude, I heard you guys had the best interview day roast beef sandwiches. Better not disappoint, yo!"

"..."

Last edited:
I kind of miss cafeteria food, haven't had it in ages.

when I interviewed at sinai, my gf was waiting for me around the cafeteria, then she overheard some MS1 saying this

"dude, our cafeteria sucks"

her friend then told me the story, and told me "welcome to your future"

our cafeteria is :(

UT Southwestern had BBQ sandwiches that were surprisingly good--also about one billion med students showed up to eat with us (mine was the first day though so maybe that turnout isn't normal) which was really nice.

UTMB had fried chicken and mashed potatoes if I remember correctly, but Houston still takes the cake (so to speak) for me. ALSO, they had the best breakfast--continental stuff plus breakfast burritos. It makes me really sad when schools don't even have coffee for us in the morning :-(

What have your interview lunches looked like? What were the best? Here's what I've had to experience thus far...

Vanderbilt - Panera box lunch. Not too bad, but I didn't get Sierra Turkey and was stuck with that other turkey sandwich that isn't Sierra Turkey.

Pittsburgh - Chicken fingers and potato skins with melted cheese and bacon. The potato skins were amazing...I ate like 5.

Ohio State - More lunchmeat. But this time, I got a wrap. It was pretty good.

Case Western - Box lunches in the Board Room whilst hearing about The Curriculum. Yep, more turkey sandwiches.

Wake Forest - A free-for-all in their hospital food court. I grabbed as much as I could...sun chips, turkey sandwich (I'm a creature of habit I guess), smoothie, rice krispie treats...

So my award of best lunch is tied between Pitt and Wake. Pitt for the potato skins and Wake for the smoothie.

Share your experiences

Pitt = taco bar that rocked the most!

UofC: real chicago deep dish pizzas with a variety of different toppings, salad, bread sticks and sauce, really good cookies

yummm i could really go for some pizza right now

Lol, everyone here went on these interviews to all the best schools. I ate peanut butter and jelly at home waiting for replies.

Only have been on two so far:

UCI: Really good sandwiches with awesome gourmet bread, potato salad, fruit, fresh vegetables. Ate outside with other interviewees and students.

takes the cake, IMO... no pun intended.

Haha, this thread is awesome.

Pitt -- They had a sandwich bar with meatball marinara and/or grilled chicken, along with rice pilaf and fruit salad for dessert.

Miami -- They had teriyaki glazed chicken with peppers, fried rice, and cookies for dessert.

UCLA -- They gave us a $10 voucher to use at any on-campus restaurant. I ended up getting a personal three meat pizza, corn chowder, and an apple.

Miami is probably winning so far. That chicken was fantastic.

UofC: real chicago deep dish pizzas with a variety of different toppings, salad, bread sticks and sauce, really good cookies

this was an amazing lunch. i took pictures. that pizza was INCREDIBLE

The variety of Pitt lunches just proves how awesome they are.

Being from Southern California, I concur with your skepticism lol.

being from NYC, where it is surprisingly hard to find decent mexican, i concur as well :D

Last Year:

Mercer- cafeteria food- not that good and pretty unorganized...we had to drive over to the hospital from the interview and literally had less than 30 minutes to eat and talk to medical students before heading back to campus.

Texas Tech- Fajitas with all the fixins'- rice, beans, guac, salsa, etc

After reading all of these I wish I had gone to my UTH interview- I cancelled it and apparently I missed out on a great meal (though not paying for the plane ticket was nice!)

Grrr.. all these people are posting extremely delicious-sounding Pitt lunches. All we had were regular old sandwiches with a bowl of fruit and cookies. I mean, the sandwiches were above average I suppose, but doubt they were on par with these steaks, taco bars, or fried potato skins.

Best lunch I've experienced was WF, who just let you get whatever you want from their pretty sweet hospital cafeteria (no sarcasm intended).

I think it is best to bring a protein bar in case they serve something gross (like slimy cold cuts)

South Carolina - salad, baked chicken, broccoli casserole, rolls, fruit.
Pitt - salad, barbeque chicken, steak with various peppers, hamburger / hot dog buns, fruit, and many cookies / brownies through the day.
MUSC - various salads / dressings, baked chicken, macaroni and cheese.
Vanderbilt - Panera sandwiches, fruit.
UVa - lunch at the "Garden Room" faculty lounge: herb roasted chicken, vegetable stuffed portobello mushrooms, roasted corn and peppers, mashed potatoes, tortellini alfredo, paninis, fruit, salad, cheesecake, creme brulee.

places i've been more recently:

h-vard: cafeteria food. no good for vegetarians.
mt. sinai: sandwiches/wraps and cookies! yum.
NYU: sandwiches/wraps and rockin' dessert.

MAD props to schools who give us dessert. MAD props.

Grrr.. all these people are posting extremely delicious-sounding Pitt lunches. All we had were regular old sandwiches with a bowl of fruit and cookies. I mean, the sandwiches were above average I suppose, but doubt they were on par with these steaks, taco bars, or fried potato skins.
Had the same Pitt lunch as you did it seems. Only difference was that instead of a fruit cup everyone got apples. Except for me, who got an orange--> a very awkward fruit to eat in a formal setting besides the fact I was the only one with an orange.... lol

UMDNJ-NJMS - $8 meal voucher to use in the cafeteria. I got a turkey sandwich and a ton of seaweed salad ($.40/ounce for seaweed salad is absurdly cheap).

I told you they served cookies at MSSM dw, hope you liked it.

UIC definitely had a good lunch (although not my favorite chicago pizza). They had 3 different kinds of deep dish chicago pizza, an alfredo pasta (really good as well), Caesar salad and bread. I bet half of the pizza got eaten by med students who "happened" to pass by ;)

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thinking of this thread makes me really crave a boxed lunch right about now.

I am totally using this thread when I decide which schools to apply to.

Well I've only been to two so far (will get back to you on MCG later ;))
Duke-really good veggie spinach wrap (more than one veggie option yay!) with cookies and some fruit.
Morehouse-catered wraps and such. Veggie of course. Those things were HUGE, only ate half of mine even though it was delicious!

I have a question...I already asked about vegetarian options, and most people said that most schools had vegetarian options there. Now I'm wondering, do I have to let them know in advance, or will there just be some veg food there? I guess its not really an option if its from the hospital cafeteria and I can choose, but I'm just wondering in general.

I have a question...I already asked about vegetarian options, and most people said that most schools had vegetarian options there. Now I'm wondering, do I have to let them know in advance, or will there just be some veg food there? I guess its not really an option if its from the hospital cafeteria and I can choose, but I'm just wondering in general.

usually schools that are doing something catered will ask you if you have dietary restrictions in the invite email or something.

usually schools that are doing something catered will ask you if you have dietary restrictions in the invite email or something.

Oh ok. None of the emails I got really mentioned anything, so I'm assuming they'll either have options or it'll be cafeteria food. Thanks! :)