Interview Expectations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been on several interviews now, and I've found that about half or more of my interviewers have not looked at my application at all. Some say, "sorry, never got a chance to read over this" and then ask some generic questions. Other times, they state they haven't had a chance to look over things, and instead just ask what questions I have about the program. I understand the interview process is pretty relaxed, and that often times people are looking to see "if you fit", and I know there are TONS of applicants, and people don't have time to go through the pages and pages of our application in detail. But, I've paid quite a lot of money to travel to some of these places, and I expected that most of the interviewers would have taken at least a glance at my application. Are these expectations unrealistic? Is it pretty common that people don't have time to do this, or is this a representation of those programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a mixture of people who knew every detail of my application and people who knew bits and pieces but were more interested in my answers to their list of questions which was ok. Expect nothing, just do your best to come across as appreciative of the opportunity to interview and it will be okay!

Hi,

I've been on several interviews now, and I've found that about half or more of my interviewers have not looked at my application at all. Some say, "sorry, never got a chance to read over this" and then ask some generic questions. Other times, they state they haven't had a chance to look over things, and instead just ask what questions I have about the program. I understand the interview process is pretty relaxed, and that often times people are looking to see "if you fit", and I know there are TONS of applicants, and people don't have time to go through the pages and pages of our application in detail. But, I've paid quite a lot of money to travel to some of these places, and I expected that most of the interviewers would have taken at least a glance at my application. Are these expectations unrealistic? Is it pretty common that people don't have time to do this, or is this a representation of those programs?

It is very common, but the reasons may vary from program to program. For example, at BWH medicine, interviewers are instructed to generate factor 'scores' prior to meeting the applicant. The post-interview score can get a small bump but it is not expected to shift dramatically (i.e., so that the ranking process can be 'objective' as possible). So you may have some residents and attendings who purposefully do not read the application prior to the interview. Rather, they prefer to start out with a blank slate, and they may refer to your application during the interview just to guide the interview.

At other programs, the reasons may be simply because pre-reviewing your application takes a lot of time. We don't get paid to look over applications the night before. During the day, at best, residents will get coverage from chiefs to take time out of their day to do interviews, and attendings don't get paid for interviews. You get what you pay for.

My interviews begin next week so I can't say from experience, but it's either what you're saying or them asking about specifics from your PS/CV based on what I've heard and read. I understand the cost and effort bit you mention but also, look at it this way - the fact that you're invited means they are interested. Good luck with the rest of your interviews.