Interview info-Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpollei

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

I know a post of this nature circulated last year, and included info about many different specialty programs in in. So I thought a way to clean it up this year might be to have a separate thread for several of the specialties many of us are applying to (then we don't have to wade through extra posts to try and find feedback from other SDNers about what we want to know).

So post anything her about program interview dates, when you get invites, fyi's/heads-up for interviews at a particular school, etc that you think would be helpful for others.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, first one I know of. Classmate of mine--perhaps too humble to post--from Alabama. Oct. 13th and 14th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying this year, but what are the ortho spots in NYC besides columbia, nyu, and montefiore?

ScorpiORTHO said:
I'm not applying this year, but what are the ortho spots in NYC besides columbia, nyu, and montefiore?

St. Barnabas

jpollei said:
OK, first one I know of. Classmate of mine--perhaps too humble to post--from Alabama. Oct. 13th and 14th.

Iowa called last week

Oklahoma called weeks ago, applied to many programs haven't heard anything else

just curious, how many people are applying from your school? i've heard rumors that some schools have 20+ people applying! at our school, it's 8... and i thought THAT was a lot!

Lin709 said:
just curious, how many people are applying from your school? i've heard rumors that some schools have 20+ people applying! at our school, it's 8... and i thought THAT was a lot!
I wouldn't read too much into that. My class had 8 out of 80 applying to ortho, but half of them had stats that made me think "what are you thinking?" Those people didn't even get interviews. I think Ortho applicants tend to be a self-selecting pool just because of the competitiveness, but there will always be others applying "because you never know!" Just hope you're not one of them.

Lin709 said:

About 8 or 10 at UNC (which is a lot for us)... another interesting thought is to consider not only how many people are applying, but how many programs they each apply to. In past years folks here applied to maybe 4 or 5 programs; this year it is closer to 8 or 9 each--seems like a lot to me. May make it harder for any given program to differentiate between applicants (i.e. more homogeneity).

jpollei said:
In past years folks here applied to maybe 4 or 5 programs; this year it is closer to 8 or 9 each--seems like a lot to me. May make it harder for any given program to differentiate between applicants (i.e. more homogeneity).

An average of 8 or 9 applications! Wow! UNC applicants must be rock stars! :rolleyes:

griffin04 said:
An average of 8 or 9 applications! Wow! UNC applicants must be rock stars! :rolleyes:

11 students at UFCD applying for Ortho... Majority are studs. Most applied to aroud 12-13 schools but one person applied to 35! And this person is an academic stud.

Members don't see this ad :)
griffin04 said:

Well, that may be a bit complimentary of you to say. That said, those I know average around a 3.9 GPA, 95-96 boards Part I, research (some published), service, etc. etc. And not a social leper among the group. :)

jpollei said:
Well, that may be a bit complimentary of you to say. That said, those I know average around a 3.9 GPA, 95-96 boards Part I, research (some published), service, etc. etc. And not a social leper among the group. :)

Why do you seem to be so on top of who's who in orthowannabes at your school? Are you applying as well?

Between UNC & UF, sounds like there are a lot of studs out there. 3.9 average GPA, wow. The highest GPA achieved in my class at graduation was a high 3.8 I think, with the rest of us obviously falling below that. It's all relative (I hope).

GPA doesn't mean much. If you have seen a lot of applications (which I have), you will note that at some places the high GPA is 3.7 or 3.8, and that at others the top twenty percent have a 4.0. Class rank is the only thing that matters. Unless you go to a Harvard or UCLA, and then you can only be judged on your board scores. :D

Let the gridding begin!!! :laugh:

griffin04 said:
Why do you seem to be so on top of who's who in orthowannabes at your school? Are you applying as well?

Between UNC & UF, sounds like there are a lot of studs out there. 3.9 average GPA, wow. The highest GPA achieved in my class at graduation was a high 3.8 I think, with the rest of us obviously falling below that. It's all relative (I hope).

Jediwendell said:
GPA doesn't mean much. If you have seen a lot of applications (which I have), you will note that at some places the high GPA is 3.7 or 3.8, and that at others the top twenty percent have a 4.0. Class rank is the only thing that matters.
That's very true. I only had about a 3.5, but there were only about 5 people out of 80 that did better.

Jediwendell said:
Unless you go to a Harvard or UCLA, and then you can only be judged on your board scores. :D
I heard Harvard recently had some kind of accredidation issues related to the paucity of clinical experience there compared to national clinical averages. I guess if you spend 4 years teaching only for the board exams that doesn't leave much time to pick up a handpiece.

There are over 40 people (out of 100) in UCLA's class of 2006 applying for ortho. I think it's frickin hilarious.

toofache32 said:
I heard Harvard recently had some kind of accredidation issues related to the paucity of clinical experience there compared to national clinical averages. I guess if you spend 4 years teaching only for the board exams that doesn't leave much time to pick up a handpiece.

Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...

griffin04 said:

Yes I am applying...just another number in the rat-race. The top 4 (of 80) at our school are all doing ortho, 6 of the top 8 or 9, etc. Guess we all felt coming in that we better do well in case this ended up being what we wanted to do.

I agree class standing is more important that GPA in many regards. That said, realizing that a 3.8 isn't the same at all programs (even if it's the top GPA at one place and not another), programs do put some stock in where you are applying from in determining what the GPA really may mean. Class standing help to equalize things out; but it isn't completely accurate to compare #1's from two diffferent schools independent of GPAs...this is where the whole issue of programs looking at the perceived strength of your dental school education arises from.

Oklahoma and Rochester called about a week ago. :thumbup:

dorothyl said:
Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...
Yeah, I remember reading that post & being surprised at how rigorous the clinical requirements were. I don't know whether they actually hold everyone to that standard, but at least on paper the curriculum looked pretty solid.

griffin04 said:
Oklahoma claims their deadline is October 1. That blows if they are calling for interviews even before all the applications are in.

Why is that? It's the same as dental school. Why not reward people for getting their applications in early? After all, PASS has been open since June.

jpollei said:
The top 4 (of 80) at our school are all doing ortho, 6 of the top 8 or 9, etc.

At least one of those top 8 or 9 was smart enough to apply to pedo :smuggrin:

DcS said:
At least one of those top 8 or 9 was smart enough to apply to pedo :smuggrin:

Smart enough! :) Hmmm.... nice enough, maybe.

DcS said:
Why is that? It's the same as dental school. Why not reward people for getting their applications in early? After all, PASS has been open since June.

Oklahoma is not part of PASS. About 20-something programs are not part of PASS, about 30-something are. As far as I've encountered, it's not the same as dental school at all. The programs often wait till the whole lot has arrived, review them, call everyone to come interview on a choice of days, sometimes no choice of days, and acceptance is done by match. Some schools do follow the rolling review, calling for interviews at the fall progresses, but I think those programs are in the minority. I think it is quite unlike dental school where the "apply early, get accepted early" theory can work for a weak candidate (or so I have learned from the pre-dent boards).

When I was in dental school, I had my PASS application done super early, very soon after they started taking applications that year. All it did was add to the anxiety b/c I didn't hear from my first interview for 2+ months until early October.

That was a good explanation, but I don't really see how it changes the way an applicant would apply to their program.

dorothyl said:

If you're really concerned about this I wouldn't go by what is said on SDN. I'd ask your Dean of Student Affairs.

dorothyl said:
It was a joke designed to stir up a fuss, but it obviously didn't work.

UPENN e-mailed today, 9/20. Interviews monday and wednesday mornings starting on 9/28.

dorothyl said:
In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...

Can you link to that? I'd like to compare Arizona's requirements to others.

So, I have a short list of those that have called or e-mailed for interviews
(these are only the ones that I've heard of....)

Penn
Iowa
Rochester
Oklahoma
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
UCLA
Alabama

Anymore?

can anyone tell me when some of these schools notified people of interviews, whether it was by email or mail or phone, and does this mean that they've sent out all their interview invites? thanks!

Lin709 said:
can anyone tell me when some of these schools notified people of interviews, whether it was by email or mail or phone, and does this mean that they've sent out all their interview invites? thanks!

i cannot tell you this top secret information at the moment.

Lin709 said:

It means the invites are pretty much donefor those schools. Most schools will send all of the invites on the same day.

Hi,
I came to know that UNMC is calling candidates for interviews on this Saturday and Monday. I heard they are calling and confirming people. I havent heard from yet and I hope I will be called...

All the best

Orthosmiles

ItsGavinC said:
Unlike Aphistis, I don't find those requirements that rigorous.

Good for you. I'm glad that you pointed out that the OP in that thread stated that the list of requirements wasn't complete. Oh wait, you didn't...

Objective as usual Gavin. Keep up the good work.

ItsGavinC said:
Nevermind, I searched for it like a good boy and found it. Unlike Aphistis, I don't find those requirements that rigorous.

Hi Gavin,
Here is the complete list of MINIMUM requirements for graduation. I'm sure you won't find them rigorous. Afterall, this isn't Arizona...I've left off the requirements that are more straightforward (e.g. 16 complete patient examinations, local anesthesia competency, N2O competency, etc.)

14 Root Canals
6 Class I Amalgams*
6 Class II Amalgams*
6 Complex Amalgam Resotrations*
6 Prefabricated Post and Core*
1 Porcelain Labial Laminate*
6 Cast Post and Core*
2 Amalgams w/4+ Surfaces
2 Class V Resin, 1 Surface, Anterior
2 Class V Resin
2 Class I Resin
2 Resins (2-3 surfaces)
6 Pin Retention
6 Amalgam, Core Buildup
1 Labial Veneer
6 Composites Class III/IV*
2 Orthodontic Workups
1 Orthodontic Rotation
3 Pediatric Prophy/Fluoride Application
2 Pediatric Amalgams
2 Pediatric Composites
4 Pediatric Sealants
32 Quadrants Sc/RP
16 Adult Prophys
16 Perio Re-evalution
8 Periodontal Surgeries
12 Perio Maintenance Visits
17 Single Unit FPDs
2 3-unit Bridges
1 Implant restoration
8 Post and Core Restorations
4 Cast RPDs
2 Immediate RPDs
4 Complete Dentures
2 Immediate Complete Dentures
5 Single Extractions
2 Inhalation Sedations
4 Observation of OMFS Operating Room Procedures
1 Month Hospital-Based OMFS Externship

*-Must be completed within 5 months of entering clinic.

sdog said:
So, I have a short list of those that have called or e-mailed for interviews
(these are only the ones that I've heard of....)

Penn
Iowa
Rochester
Oklahoma
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
UCLA
Alabama

Anymore?

Man, this whole waiting-to-hear-from-schools thing really kinda sucks. Meanwhile airfare is going up... :) Anywhere new, anyone?

oh my, remember your bulletproof vest when travelling to the Bronx.

UPENN has an Ortho-Perio combined residency program. 8 years. And they reward your dedication by charging 70 G's a year. Yes I am serious. Something is wrong with that.

molarama said:
UPENN has an Ortho-Perio combined residency program. 8 years. And they reward your dedication by charging 70 G's a year. Yes I am serious. Something is wrong with that.

I cannot fathom the point of doing this.

molarama said:

yeah.......especially when you can just do each speciality separately, pay less tuition, and finish in about 5 years....give or take. But then again........i really dont see how this combined program would ultimately give one's Ortho or Perio (whichever the person decides upon) practice that much insight.

That's like saying there should be a program that combines pediatrics and geriatrics together.........stop seeing the patient when they turn 18 and have them return when they are 60.......haha :smuggrin:

Is this just for a semester during third year or what. Pretty light. :D

Just kidding. Seems pretty much like run-of-the-mill dental school that could've been my DS curriculum.

dorothyl said:
Hi Gavin,
Here is the complete list of MINIMUM requirements for graduation. I'm sure you won't find them rigorous. Afterall, this isn't Arizona...I've left off the requirements that are more straightforward (e.g. 16 complete patient examinations, local anesthesia competency, N2O competency, etc.)

14 Root Canals
6 Class I Amalgams*
6 Class II Amalgams*
6 Complex Amalgam Resotrations*
6 Prefabricated Post and Core*
1 Porcelain Labial Laminate*
6 Cast Post and Core*
2 Amalgams w/4+ Surfaces
2 Class V Resin, 1 Surface, Anterior
2 Class V Resin
2 Class I Resin
2 Resins (2-3 surfaces)
6 Pin Retention
6 Amalgam, Core Buildup
1 Labial Veneer
6 Composites Class III/IV*
2 Orthodontic Workups
1 Orthodontic Rotation
3 Pediatric Prophy/Fluoride Application
2 Pediatric Amalgams
2 Pediatric Composites
4 Pediatric Sealants
32 Quadrants Sc/RP
16 Adult Prophys
16 Perio Re-evalution
8 Periodontal Surgeries
12 Perio Maintenance Visits
17 Single Unit FPDs
2 3-unit Bridges
1 Implant restoration
8 Post and Core Restorations
4 Cast RPDs
2 Immediate RPDs
4 Complete Dentures
2 Immediate Complete Dentures
5 Single Extractions
2 Inhalation Sedations
4 Observation of OMFS Operating Room Procedures
1 Month Hospital-Based OMFS Externship

*-Must be completed within 5 months of entering clinic.

Recieved email from New Jersey earlier today

Here is a new list

Penn
Iowa
Rochester
Oklahoma
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
UCLA
Alabama
Nebraska
New Jersey

nova southeastern called this morning as well, date is Oct. 17th

sdog said:
Here is a new list

Penn
Iowa
Rochester
Oklahoma
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
UCLA
Alabama
Nebraska
New Jersey

University of Illinois Chicago just e-mailed. Date is 10/19/05.

antidentite said:
nova southeastern called this morning as well