• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Interview info-Ortho

jpollei

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2004
513
1
NC
    All,

    I know a post of this nature circulated last year, and included info about many different specialty programs in in. So I thought a way to clean it up this year might be to have a separate thread for several of the specialties many of us are applying to (then we don't have to wade through extra posts to try and find feedback from other SDNers about what we want to know).

    So post anything her about program interview dates, when you get invites, fyi's/heads-up for interviews at a particular school, etc that you think would be helpful for others.
     
    About the Ads

    toofache32

    Full Member
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 19, 2003
    3,863
    42
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Lin709 said:
      just curious, how many people are applying from your school? i've heard rumors that some schools have 20+ people applying! at our school, it's 8... and i thought THAT was a lot!
      I wouldn't read too much into that. My class had 8 out of 80 applying to ortho, but half of them had stats that made me think "what are you thinking?" Those people didn't even get interviews. I think Ortho applicants tend to be a self-selecting pool just because of the competitiveness, but there will always be others applying "because you never know!" Just hope you're not one of them.
       

      jpollei

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 14, 2004
      513
      1
      NC
        Lin709 said:
        just curious, how many people are applying from your school? i've heard rumors that some schools have 20+ people applying! at our school, it's 8... and i thought THAT was a lot!


        About 8 or 10 at UNC (which is a lot for us)... another interesting thought is to consider not only how many people are applying, but how many programs they each apply to. In past years folks here applied to maybe 4 or 5 programs; this year it is closer to 8 or 9 each--seems like a lot to me. May make it harder for any given program to differentiate between applicants (i.e. more homogeneity).
         
        About the Ads

        jpollei

        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jul 14, 2004
        513
        1
        NC
          griffin04 said:
          An average of 8 or 9 applications! Wow! UNC applicants must be rock stars! :rolleyes:

          Well, that may be a bit complimentary of you to say. That said, those I know average around a 3.9 GPA, 95-96 boards Part I, research (some published), service, etc. etc. And not a social leper among the group. :)
           

          gryffindor

          Full Member
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 3, 2002
          2,985
          285
          1. Dentist
            jpollei said:
            Well, that may be a bit complimentary of you to say. That said, those I know average around a 3.9 GPA, 95-96 boards Part I, research (some published), service, etc. etc. And not a social leper among the group. :)

            Why do you seem to be so on top of who's who in orthowannabes at your school? Are you applying as well?

            Between UNC & UF, sounds like there are a lot of studs out there. 3.9 average GPA, wow. The highest GPA achieved in my class at graduation was a high 3.8 I think, with the rest of us obviously falling below that. It's all relative (I hope).
             

            Jediwendell

            Senior Member
            10+ Year Member
            Sep 27, 2004
            576
            15
              GPA doesn't mean much. If you have seen a lot of applications (which I have), you will note that at some places the high GPA is 3.7 or 3.8, and that at others the top twenty percent have a 4.0. Class rank is the only thing that matters. Unless you go to a Harvard or UCLA, and then you can only be judged on your board scores. :D

              Let the gridding begin!!! :laugh:

              griffin04 said:
              Why do you seem to be so on top of who's who in orthowannabes at your school? Are you applying as well?

              Between UNC & UF, sounds like there are a lot of studs out there. 3.9 average GPA, wow. The highest GPA achieved in my class at graduation was a high 3.8 I think, with the rest of us obviously falling below that. It's all relative (I hope).
               

              toofache32

              Full Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 19, 2003
              3,863
              42
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Jediwendell said:
                GPA doesn't mean much. If you have seen a lot of applications (which I have), you will note that at some places the high GPA is 3.7 or 3.8, and that at others the top twenty percent have a 4.0. Class rank is the only thing that matters.
                That's very true. I only had about a 3.5, but there were only about 5 people out of 80 that did better.

                Jediwendell said:
                Unless you go to a Harvard or UCLA, and then you can only be judged on your board scores. :D
                I heard Harvard recently had some kind of accredidation issues related to the paucity of clinical experience there compared to national clinical averages. I guess if you spend 4 years teaching only for the board exams that doesn't leave much time to pick up a handpiece.
                 

                dorothyl

                Junior Member
                10+ Year Member
                Sep 18, 2005
                9
                0
                  toofache32 said:
                  I heard Harvard recently had some kind of accredidation issues related to the paucity of clinical experience there compared to national clinical averages. I guess if you spend 4 years teaching only for the board exams that doesn't leave much time to pick up a handpiece.

                  Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...
                   

                  jpollei

                  Senior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Jul 14, 2004
                  513
                  1
                  NC
                    griffin04 said:
                    Why do you seem to be so on top of who's who in orthowannabes at your school? Are you applying as well?

                    Yes I am applying...just another number in the rat-race. The top 4 (of 80) at our school are all doing ortho, 6 of the top 8 or 9, etc. Guess we all felt coming in that we better do well in case this ended up being what we wanted to do.

                    I agree class standing is more important that GPA in many regards. That said, realizing that a 3.8 isn't the same at all programs (even if it's the top GPA at one place and not another), programs do put some stock in where you are applying from in determining what the GPA really may mean. Class standing help to equalize things out; but it isn't completely accurate to compare #1's from two diffferent schools independent of GPAs...this is where the whole issue of programs looking at the perceived strength of your dental school education arises from.
                     

                    aphistis

                    Full Member
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    10+ Year Member
                    Verified Expert
                    15+ Year Member
                    Feb 15, 2003
                    8,394
                    37
                    Indianapolis
                    1. Attending Physician
                    2. Dentist
                      dorothyl said:
                      Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...
                      Yeah, I remember reading that post & being surprised at how rigorous the clinical requirements were. I don't know whether they actually hold everyone to that standard, but at least on paper the curriculum looked pretty solid.
                       
                      About the Ads

                      DcS

                      damn the red baron
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Apr 9, 2002
                      825
                      4
                        griffin04 said:
                        Oklahoma claims their deadline is October 1. That blows if they are calling for interviews even before all the applications are in.


                        Why is that? It's the same as dental school. Why not reward people for getting their applications in early? After all, PASS has been open since June.
                         

                        gryffindor

                        Full Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Feb 3, 2002
                        2,985
                        285
                        1. Dentist
                          DcS said:
                          Why is that? It's the same as dental school. Why not reward people for getting their applications in early? After all, PASS has been open since June.

                          Oklahoma is not part of PASS. About 20-something programs are not part of PASS, about 30-something are. As far as I've encountered, it's not the same as dental school at all. The programs often wait till the whole lot has arrived, review them, call everyone to come interview on a choice of days, sometimes no choice of days, and acceptance is done by match. Some schools do follow the rolling review, calling for interviews at the fall progresses, but I think those programs are in the minority. I think it is quite unlike dental school where the "apply early, get accepted early" theory can work for a weak candidate (or so I have learned from the pre-dent boards).

                          When I was in dental school, I had my PASS application done super early, very soon after they started taking applications that year. All it did was add to the anxiety b/c I didn't hear from my first interview for 2+ months until early October.
                           

                          drhobie7

                          Full Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Jun 10, 2005
                          1,367
                          11
                          Los Angeles, CA
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            dorothyl said:
                            Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...

                            If you're really concerned about this I wouldn't go by what is said on SDN. I'd ask your Dean of Student Affairs.
                             

                            toofache32

                            Full Member
                            15+ Year Member
                            Apr 19, 2003
                            3,863
                            42
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              dorothyl said:
                              Can you back this up? Because I am a third-year at Harvard and haven't heard anything about this...In fact, someone posted our clinical requirements on one of the other boards, and I believe that they were well within the ADA accreditation standards...
                              It was a joke designed to stir up a fuss, but it obviously didn't work.
                               
                              About the Ads

                              sdog

                              Member
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Dec 10, 2004
                              29
                              0
                                So, I have a short list of those that have called or e-mailed for interviews
                                (these are only the ones that I've heard of....)

                                Penn
                                Iowa
                                Rochester
                                Oklahoma
                                Montefiore
                                St. Barnabas
                                UCLA
                                Alabama

                                Anymore?
                                 

                                Lin709

                                Member
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Nov 16, 2001
                                74
                                0
                                CA
                                  can anyone tell me when some of these schools notified people of interviews, whether it was by email or mail or phone, and does this mean that they've sent out all their interview invites? thanks!
                                   

                                  TKD

                                  Member
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Sep 23, 2005
                                  125
                                  1
                                    Lin709 said:
                                    can anyone tell me when some of these schools notified people of interviews, whether it was by email or mail or phone, and does this mean that they've sent out all their interview invites? thanks!

                                    i cannot tell you this top secret information at the moment.
                                     

                                    orthoboi

                                    New Member
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    Sep 23, 2005
                                    1
                                    0
                                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                                      Lin709 said:
                                      can anyone tell me when some of these schools notified people of interviews, whether it was by email or mail or phone, and does this mean that they've sent out all their interview invites? thanks!


                                      It means the invites are pretty much donefor those schools. Most schools will send all of the invites on the same day.
                                       

                                      orthosmiles

                                      New Member
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      Sep 14, 2005
                                      3
                                      0
                                      1. Dental Student
                                        Hi,
                                        I came to know that UNMC is calling candidates for interviews on this Saturday and Monday. I heard they are calling and confirming people. I havent heard from yet and I hope I will be called...

                                        All the best

                                        Orthosmiles
                                         

                                        dorothyl

                                        Junior Member
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        Sep 18, 2005
                                        9
                                        0
                                          ItsGavinC said:
                                          Nevermind, I searched for it like a good boy and found it. Unlike Aphistis, I don't find those requirements that rigorous.

                                          Hi Gavin,
                                          Here is the complete list of MINIMUM requirements for graduation. I'm sure you won't find them rigorous. Afterall, this isn't Arizona...I've left off the requirements that are more straightforward (e.g. 16 complete patient examinations, local anesthesia competency, N2O competency, etc.)

                                          14 Root Canals
                                          6 Class I Amalgams*
                                          6 Class II Amalgams*
                                          6 Complex Amalgam Resotrations*
                                          6 Prefabricated Post and Core*
                                          1 Porcelain Labial Laminate*
                                          6 Cast Post and Core*
                                          2 Amalgams w/4+ Surfaces
                                          2 Class V Resin, 1 Surface, Anterior
                                          2 Class V Resin
                                          2 Class I Resin
                                          2 Resins (2-3 surfaces)
                                          6 Pin Retention
                                          6 Amalgam, Core Buildup
                                          1 Labial Veneer
                                          6 Composites Class III/IV*
                                          2 Orthodontic Workups
                                          1 Orthodontic Rotation
                                          3 Pediatric Prophy/Fluoride Application
                                          2 Pediatric Amalgams
                                          2 Pediatric Composites
                                          4 Pediatric Sealants
                                          32 Quadrants Sc/RP
                                          16 Adult Prophys
                                          16 Perio Re-evalution
                                          8 Periodontal Surgeries
                                          12 Perio Maintenance Visits
                                          17 Single Unit FPDs
                                          2 3-unit Bridges
                                          1 Implant restoration
                                          8 Post and Core Restorations
                                          4 Cast RPDs
                                          2 Immediate RPDs
                                          4 Complete Dentures
                                          2 Immediate Complete Dentures
                                          5 Single Extractions
                                          2 Inhalation Sedations
                                          4 Observation of OMFS Operating Room Procedures
                                          1 Month Hospital-Based OMFS Externship

                                          *-Must be completed within 5 months of entering clinic.
                                           

                                          jpollei

                                          Senior Member
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          7+ Year Member
                                          Jul 14, 2004
                                          513
                                          1
                                          NC
                                            sdog said:
                                            So, I have a short list of those that have called or e-mailed for interviews
                                            (these are only the ones that I've heard of....)

                                            Penn
                                            Iowa
                                            Rochester
                                            Oklahoma
                                            Montefiore
                                            St. Barnabas
                                            UCLA
                                            Alabama

                                            Anymore?

                                            Man, this whole waiting-to-hear-from-schools thing really kinda sucks. Meanwhile airfare is going up... :) Anywhere new, anyone?
                                             

                                            Doggie

                                            Professional Jackass
                                            15+ Year Member
                                              molarama said:
                                              UPENN has an Ortho-Perio combined residency program. 8 years. And they reward your dedication by charging 70 G's a year. Yes I am serious. Something is wrong with that.


                                              yeah.......especially when you can just do each speciality separately, pay less tuition, and finish in about 5 years....give or take. But then again........i really dont see how this combined program would ultimately give one's Ortho or Perio (whichever the person decides upon) practice that much insight.

                                              That's like saying there should be a program that combines pediatrics and geriatrics together.........stop seeing the patient when they turn 18 and have them return when they are 60.......haha :smuggrin:
                                               

                                              Jediwendell

                                              Senior Member
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              Sep 27, 2004
                                              576
                                              15
                                                Is this just for a semester during third year or what. Pretty light. :D



                                                Just kidding. Seems pretty much like run-of-the-mill dental school that could've been my DS curriculum.




                                                dorothyl said:
                                                Hi Gavin,
                                                Here is the complete list of MINIMUM requirements for graduation. I'm sure you won't find them rigorous. Afterall, this isn't Arizona...I've left off the requirements that are more straightforward (e.g. 16 complete patient examinations, local anesthesia competency, N2O competency, etc.)

                                                14 Root Canals
                                                6 Class I Amalgams*
                                                6 Class II Amalgams*
                                                6 Complex Amalgam Resotrations*
                                                6 Prefabricated Post and Core*
                                                1 Porcelain Labial Laminate*
                                                6 Cast Post and Core*
                                                2 Amalgams w/4+ Surfaces
                                                2 Class V Resin, 1 Surface, Anterior
                                                2 Class V Resin
                                                2 Class I Resin
                                                2 Resins (2-3 surfaces)
                                                6 Pin Retention
                                                6 Amalgam, Core Buildup
                                                1 Labial Veneer
                                                6 Composites Class III/IV*
                                                2 Orthodontic Workups
                                                1 Orthodontic Rotation
                                                3 Pediatric Prophy/Fluoride Application
                                                2 Pediatric Amalgams
                                                2 Pediatric Composites
                                                4 Pediatric Sealants
                                                32 Quadrants Sc/RP
                                                16 Adult Prophys
                                                16 Perio Re-evalution
                                                8 Periodontal Surgeries
                                                12 Perio Maintenance Visits
                                                17 Single Unit FPDs
                                                2 3-unit Bridges
                                                1 Implant restoration
                                                8 Post and Core Restorations
                                                4 Cast RPDs
                                                2 Immediate RPDs
                                                4 Complete Dentures
                                                2 Immediate Complete Dentures
                                                5 Single Extractions
                                                2 Inhalation Sedations
                                                4 Observation of OMFS Operating Room Procedures
                                                1 Month Hospital-Based OMFS Externship

                                                *-Must be completed within 5 months of entering clinic.
                                                 
                                                About the Ads
                                                This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                7. This thread is locked.