Interview info-Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hind said:
:confused: I didn't get any interview and received only 4 rejection letter out of 24 uni. I applied. I dont know what should I do regarding MATCH. When I called MATCH people, they told me to withdraw from MATCH if I am not going to submitt rank order list. Please suggest me what should I do and is there any chance/hope left for getting interviews?

Well, as today was the last day that any school was interviewing (rank lists due Friday), if you haven't gotten an invite yet from a MATCH-participating program, it's just not gonna happen this year. Most programs don't send rejection letters either...no word serves generally that purpose. Since schools really only rank applicants they interview (and not even all of them get ranked in all cases), your chances this year are about zero. Sorry :(

MATCH's recommendation to withdraw makes sense. Better luck next year.

Members don't see this ad.

jpollei said:
Well, as today was the last day that any school was interviewing (rank lists due Friday), if you haven't gotten an invite yet from a MATCH-participating program, it's just not gonna happen this year. Most programs don't send rejection letters either...no word serves generally that purpose. Since schools really only rank applicants they interview (and not even all of them get ranked in all cases), your chances this year are about zero. Sorry :(

Why pull out? What happens if you don't rank anyone.

Jediwendell said:
Why pull out? What happens if you don't rank anyone.

I say don't pull out so that you can at least see who the available post-match programs are on match day. Also, the e-mail on match day arrives 3 hours before the results are posted on the website, so check at 9:00 AM EST, 6:00 AM PST, etc. 2 weeks from today. Gluck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
jpollei said:

jpollei you sure have alot of advice for still being in dental school. I beg to differ on your ideas of rejection letters. Although schools don't send them out right away most schools will send them out.

Mayo Ortho said:
jpollei you sure have alot of advice for still being in dental school. I beg to differ on your ideas of rejection letters. Although schools don't send them out right away most schools will send them out.

My advice is only worth what I get paid for it... :)
True many school send rejection letters out; but not in time to address the issue brought up in the post I replied to--the issue of determining whether he/she was still being considered by programs or not just days before the MATCH deadline. Many will send letters out later (though if you're rejected it's pretty clear at that point if you haven't heard from a school before rank lists are to be submitted). My point was simply that many programs don't send rejection letters out before rank lists are due; therefore it's unwise to be under the impression that you're still being seriously considered that shortly before the rank deadline.
Not withdrawing won't hurt either...Surf's Up has a valid point...a that point I guess I personally would be looking forward to next year already since there aren't historically residual openings at the schools I'm interested in.

Did anyone interview at LSU? Just curious what happened to them.

I received one more rejection :( from Ohio University. Nobody is mentioning what is my negative points. What should I do if I want to apply again next year? With the same resume I think it will be same next year!

hind said:
I received one more rejection :( from Ohio University. Nobody is mentioning what is my negative points. What should I do if I want to apply again next year? With the same resume I think it will be same next year!

Probably very true if you reapply without doing anything new. Talk with your program director/dept chair and see their recommendations might be. Find a way to be more competetive/show ortho is really what you want to do: work, get an additional degree (like an MPH), retake boards if necessary (though that's probably not on the top of anyone's "fun things to do during the holidays" list), etc...
You could always call the programs you are most interested in and ask what they look for most in an applicant (and what you might not have had)--same as if you didn't get into DS the first time around. Stay positive.

I have applied to Jacksonville university also and they are not participating in MATCH. So I have some chances. But when I check their accrediation on ADA web site, it says "Initial Accrediation". What does this indicate? And what is Ortho Education Company(OEC)?

sweet jesus. i would suggest doing a search of this site or of the internet regarding OEC. i would hope this thread does not become another OEC discussion. any applicant to ortho should be well aware of the OEC educational model, their plans for expansion, and the consequenses it will have on the profession. having said that, there is very little doubt they will become fully accredited, and I am failry sure they will be happy to have you sign the contract.......i say that knowing nothing about your credentials.

hind said:
I have applied to Jacksonville university also and they are not participating in MATCH. So I have some chances. But when I check their accrediation on ADA web site, it says "Initial Accrediation". What does this indicate? And what is Ortho Education Company(OEC)?

hind said:

It sounds odd that you are applying for Ortho and did not research the OEC option/issue/problem…. Make sure that you get a FULL picture before you sign the contract….Search the SDN, there are tons of info regarding your question. Good luck.

HEY EVERYONE! DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHILDREN'S NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTER IN WASHINGTON DC??? SOME PEOPLE SAY IT'S A FANTASTIC PROGRAM GEARED ONLY TOWARDS PRIVATE PRACTICE AND THEY REQUIRE NO OR MINIMAL RESEARCH. I HEAR RESIDENTS WHO GRADUATE THAT PROGRAM OPEN THEIR PRACTICE STRAIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY MORE INFO. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. (I INTERVIEWED THERE AND THE PROGRAM SEEMS INCREDIBLE, JUST WANT MORE INFO BEFORE MATCH DAY)

escabar99 said:
HEY EVERYONE! DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHILDREN'S NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTER IN WASHINGTON DC??? SOME PEOPLE SAY IT'S A FANTASTIC PROGRAM GEARED ONLY TOWARDS PRIVATE PRACTICE AND THEY REQUIRE NO OR MINIMAL RESEARCH. I HEAR RESIDENTS WHO GRADUATE THAT PROGRAM OPEN THEIR PRACTICE STRAIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY MORE INFO. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. (I INTERVIEWED THERE AND THE PROGRAM SEEMS INCREDIBLE, JUST WANT MORE INFO BEFORE MATCH DAY)

should've asked b/f nov.18:) seems like a good mixture of didactic, clinical and research. great craniofacial program at children's as well. opening up practices straight out varies..depends on the resident more than the program.

i've heard OEC programs/factories are churning out 16 grads/year, most stuck with ridiculous contracts. think about it, theoretically after 50 years there will be "imagine orthodontics" factories on every street corner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mans,
What type of statistics do you need to get into ortho residency?

iwillkamvariyou said:
Hey Mans,
What type of statistics do you need to get into ortho residency?

Nothing is ever a guarantee (there were many people with "top of class," or high 90's NBDE 1, or published research, etc or many of the above that didn't get interview invites this year). How that is for next year and beyond is still to be seen... Obviously being in the top of your class and making a great board score (say 95 or better) is a good way to start. Then go from there.
I'm sure there are several old threads that can answer your question better.

jpollei said:
there were many people with "top of class," or high 90's NBDE 1, or published research, etc or many of the above that didn't get interview invites this year

Really? I would think if you're "top of the class" or high 90's, you'd get interviews for sure, but I know what you're getting at. I tend to think if you're top 10% and 90+ you have a decent shot at interviews. But the process is getting so ridiculously, damned competitive you should almost aim for that mid/high 90's score. Research is a must, but I didn't get many questions pertaining to it. I think they just want to see that you've done some. Leadership roles can also help a bit I think (not that my app was very strong in that area). Unfortunately, the bottom line is you need competitive grades and then a great interview.

escabar99 said:
...IT'S A FANTASTIC PROGRAM GEARED ONLY TOWARDS PRIVATE PRACTICE AND THEY REQUIRE NO OR MINIMAL RESEARCH.

I know nothing about it, but minimal research and lots of clinic sounds like an ideal program. I believe every ortho program requires some research just to be accredited even if they don't do a Masters. Plus DC is an awesome city. GL on the match.

I wish you all the best of luck.

drhobie7 said:
Last count I heard was 39 applicants to ortho. Nearly half the class.

I'm planning to apply in 2 years. I don't know where you got your number, drHobie, but it was actually 22 people from the current class, with 2 people changing their minds mid-way (so 20, actually). Who wouldn't go to ortho, but I don't think my class will have that many. That class was special. UCLA, BTW, does not give any mercy to its students with regards to providing more time to study for the boards. Whatever time left you have after class and clinic is time to study. I'm stressed out big time. Will read other threads for help.

The class of 2006 happens to be a tight class. They're all very close friends, congratulating each other's successes even during the application process. They're very helpful to us folks when it came down to advice and guidance. The nice thing about UCLA is lack of competitition among each other, but more camaraderie and support. I hope our class will be anything close to that class. They're very unique.

GO class of 2008!

Congratulations to all who got in! I can only hope and aspire to be like you, particularly Griffin. Wow. Amazing perseverence.

smile000 said:
I'm planning to apply in 2 years. I don't know where you got your number, drHobie, but it was actually 22 people from the current class, with 2 people changing their minds mid-way (so 20, actually). Who wouldn't go to ortho, but I don't think my class will have that many. That class was special. UCLA, BTW, does not give any mercy to its students with regards to providing more time to study for the boards. Whatever time left you have after class and clinic is time to study. I'm stressed out big time. Will read other threads for help.

The class of 2006 happens to be a tight class. They're all very close friends, congratulating each other's successes even during the application process. They're very helpful to us folks when it came down to advice and guidance. The nice thing about UCLA is lack of competitition among each other, but more camaraderie and support. I hope our class will be anything close to that class. They're very unique.

GO class of 2008!
what does this have to do with this thread??? :confused:

WestCoast said:
what does this have to do with this thread??? :confused:

my humble apologies. i responded to drhobie in an earlier message that was on this thread.

smile000 said:

I'm a 3rd year at UCLA and whenever I posted that original message was when I got that number (39) quoted to me from ortho applicants in the 4th year class.

You probably will not know how many ortho applicants you have in your class until that day comes. ;) I'm sure there'll be some sleepers.

And FYI, many other dental schools only give 2 weeks vacation before boards. We do have a very chill spring quarter in 2nd year that gives you plenty of time to study.

so it seems like alot of interviews fall on the same date...how do you guys deal with that?

Budmano786 said:
so it seems like alot of interviews fall on the same date...how do you guys deal with that?

Ask them if they have another interview date. if they dont, you have to choose one.