Interview invite & Broke!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorRomp

PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my first interview (Nov. 4th) coming up @ LECOM BRADENTON and I'm so broke, it's not even funnny :eek:.

I have a car that can take me there but massive oil leak burns on the hot engine and I can actually see and smell the 'oil smoke'.

So far I've managed to be debt free and right now, I don't have a credit card. But the coming expenses for renting a car + rent a hotel room will put a serious dent in my savings.

I could take the risk to drive the 4 hours on the day of interview, but it seems risky. Getting a Grey Hound or Amtrak does not cut it either because they are both over $100 + I will still need transport from the hotel to LECOM-B.

I got into PBA for fall (2012) earlier this year but I could not go because I knew I'd be struggling financially. After I got loans, I'd have nothing left for bills. I was not prepared to take this massive loan for the program (the most expensive in the state of Florida at 30K). I HATE DEBT. I know I'll be able to pay it off later, but the state of the economy is scaring me like mad.

When I passed the opportunity to attend pharmacy school, I thought my finances would be somewhat better, but right now, my finances are dire.

I'm excited to have an interview at LECOM-B just as I was for PBA, but I'm asking myself this: Should I risk driving the four hours on the day of the interview to reach LECOM-B by 8:45 am (until 1:30pm) and drive home right after? Or should I just suck it up and get the rental car + renting a hotel room for one night?

What is a hopeful, but broke, pharmacy student to do?

PharmD Applicant 2009

PBA ------> Accepted (deferred: Broke post $2K deposit)
LECOM-B ------> Interview Nov 4th!!!
UF ------> Sup completed (in waiting game)
NSU ------> Sup completed (Update: Under review)

P.S. Things will get better financially and I should be able to afford even PBA for fall 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

What about your parents?? Ask them if you could borrow some $$ and you'll re-pay them back later. If I were you I wouldn't drive with a car in such bad condition. What if it breaks down half way, then you're def. screwed. You'll miss your interview and not have a car when you get back home. Think of the worst case scenerio first. What is worst to you, borrowing a few hundred dollars, or having a broken down car that could cost you even more $$$$? Hopes this helps, good luck and update us.

Yes, the road to success is quite an awful one sometimes.

Suck it up and rent the car. Borrow from anyone you call a friend. I agree with Lo|a. You can't afford Murphy's law to occur on an interview day. Remember what can go wrong, in all likelihood will go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
How come Greyhound is so expensive for you? I'm traveling from SW Missouri to Minneapolis for my interview, and my Greyhound ticket cost ~$65 each way. That's the absolute cheapest option I could find, and my trip is over 16 hours long each way. Your trip is about a quarter of mine, so you should be able to get your ticket for less, I think. Greyhound removed its 7-day advance option a while back, but I believe they've brought it back now, because that was what enabled me to get my ticket at that price.

Try booking your bus ticket with the 7-day advance purchase option. But a caveat: Greyhound's customer service sucks BIG TIME.

Are you in Gainesville or live anywhere near Gainesville? My interview is on the 4th, and I'd be willing to offer you a ride if you are nearby.

My Greyhound ticket cost ~$65 each way.
Try booking your bus ticket with the 7-day advance purchase option.

Thank you for your comment. I checked both Greyhound and Amtrak. Here is the dilemma.

Greyhound Pros: I can get a 7-day advance ticket @ $46 dollars/trip. When I mentioned the $100, I believe I was referring to roundtrip + renting fee for a car (which is hardly economical).

Cons: It takes a while for the 4 hour trip (on election day); Pharmacy interviews ends @1:45pm, I would miss the bus.
.07:45am 06:25pm 10h, 40m 1 GLI 3763; ..01:15pm 08:50pm 7h, 35m 1 GLI1111
RETURN TRIP: .​
06:20pm 02:00am 7h, 40m 1 GLI 3755
Which is too late for voting (election results etc...).

Amtrak has a much better deal, I found out: $25 and duration is: 3h 28m.

I can still rent a car and keep my expenses low. However, I would miss the train on the return and thus miss the election returns with my family. :confused:
I don't like driving long distances.

Are you in Gainesville or live anywhere near Gainesville? My interview is on the 4th, and I'd be willing to offer you a ride if you are nearby.

This is so nice of you. However, I'm not close to Gainesville. I am coming from south Florida. Are you driving back out same day post interview? I plan to leave Bradenton same day.

I think I've figured out something. I should be able to save money with Amtrak! :)

I vote for spending the $$$$ and borrow from anyone--friend/family/neighbor/dog. Take bus/plane, don't drive. Waste of energy. Your energy to drive is not a worthy sacrifice when you could be practicing/rehearsing or even sleeping/resting on the bus/plane. When it comes to assets, I think it's clear that whatever it takes to get into pharmacy school out weighs the current digits you have in your bank account. Just be super wise with how you spend your limited $. Eat healthy too. Good luck! =)

Good lord, I charged up a storm during interview season. It's a fact of life. Suck it up, get a credit card, and deal with the consequences later.

Look at it this way, if you do the above, you'll HAVE to get into pharmacy school so you can take your fin-aid disbursement and pay off your CC. Maybe it'll make you do well on the interview, haha.

This is so nice of you. However, I'm not close to Gainesville. I am coming from south Florida. Are you driving back out same day post interview? I plan to leave Bradenton same day.

I think I've figured out something. I should be able to save money with Amtrak! :)

Yeah, I have a class at 5, so I'm going to try to make it back that day. I'm glad you worked something out. I wish you luck, and I guess I'll see you there.

You already have an acceptance to pharmacy school? well then...

As people before mentioned CHARGE or BORROW MONEY! :)

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, you will eventually be making good money and be able to pay off the small debt you will accrue for this interview. SERIOUSLY, just charge it.

I wonder how the OP will buy a house one day, pay for pharmacy school, or buy a car.

to the OP:
Seriously, there are things in life that require you to spend money or take out loans. If you can't realize that, you need to get your priorities straight, because the school isn't going to hold a position for you, and you aren't going to win the lottery either. Also, every year you wait/defer you lose 100k you could have been making.

If you really want to go to pharmacy school, you need to make it happen, and yes, you do have options to solve your "financial dilemma", but it's unfortunate that you are focusing on your short term financial situation versus the long term forecast, and not choosing to look into those options.

IMHO, turning down a interview because you didnt want to charge your card is not the smartest thing to do, especially the other alternative is not going to the interview, and putting your academic and future career on hold.

to the OP:
Seriously, there are things in life that require you to spend money or take out loans. If you can't realize that, you need to get your priorities straight, because the school isn't going to hold a position for you, and you aren't going to win the lottery either. Also, every year you wait/defer you lose 100k you could have been making.

IMHO, turning down a interview because you didnt want to charge your card is not the smartest thing to do, especially the other alternative is not going to the interview, and putting your academic and future career on hold.

Thank you all for your advice. Honestly, I did panic a little. I have no desire to pass up opportunities to attend pharmacy school for fall 2009. For this year however, it was necessary that I not attend. I realize that I can get loans, but I work hard and managed to pay everything. As for the lottery, I might just get lucky :laugh:. The school, I'm aware, will move on to the next applicant; which is why I did not ask for a later date for my interview. Believe me when I say that I'm excited about my upcoming interview. I'm still waiting for UF and NSU however to fully decide what I'll do.

I think worrying about short-term financial problems is completely justifiable. To apply to a loan with the intent to pay it off four to five years down the line is no easy decision, especially with the economy in its current state.

I think worrying about short-term financial problems is completely justifiable. To apply to a loan with the intent to pay it off four to five years down the line is no easy decision, especially with the economy in its current state.

Yes, but to do so is short sighted as all of you will eventually have to take on such loans to pay for school (except for that minority that have the cash on hand to pay for it all). For most of us, debt is an essential part of the process, and to eschew it--considering the eventual financial outcome of finishing school--isn't a smart move.

Each year delayed = ~$100k in lost income. It's like the people on here who ask whether they should delay a year and work as a tech....to what, make $15k/yr? Dumb financial move.

Each year delayed = ~$100k in lost income. It's like the people on here who ask whether they should delay a year and work as a tech....to what, make $15k/yr? Dumb financial move.

I totally agree 100%. :D

I agree with the why wait. There's good debt and bad debt. Bad debt is when you use that credit card to purchase things that you want vs things that you need. Now, I'm not saying that you want to use that credit card for things that you need every time, that's what an emergency stash of cash is for. But putting 4 or 5 hundred on a card for interview expenses is justified, and once you are done, shred the card, cut it up, whatever. You will earn enough "extra" money over the summer to pay it off before school starts, making the interest a minimal issue. A small amount of interest is a small price to pay vs delaying 100k for another year.

Good luck to you. You have a right to be worried. I'm limiting my options this year, but if I don't get in, I may have my hubby convinced that it's time to expand the horizons.

Especially if you don't already have a card, usually someone is running a special on a card with 0% APR. Shop around a little bit and you might be able to get a card and pay off your expenses without interest.

How bad does it smoke?

I say get a 5 qt jug of oil and just pull over every 100 miles or so and refill. Leave at night and borrow a tent and go car-camping.

And if you think these costs are a suprise, wait until you get in! Shots, CPR classes, extra trips, etc. Sounds like youre going to need to make some extra hours at your job - or get a 2nd one!

How bad does it smoke?

I say get a 5 qt jug of oil and just pull over every 100 miles or so and refill. Leave at night and borrow a tent and go car-camping.

And if you think these costs are a suprise, wait until you get in! Shots, CPR classes, extra trips, etc. Sounds like youre going to need to make some extra hours at your job - or get a 2nd one!

bwahahah shots. that's why you go during happy hour for dollar shots and beer.