Interview List & Part 2 Prep/review: 2021 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Planning to. Logistics would be easy to just knock it out before residency.

Senioritis striking hard. That and planning to move/finding job for the wife etc before residency starts....
That's a good idea!

Also, I'm hearing different things about part 3. Some are saying not to study and wing it since an easier exam. Others are saying to study, but study no more than a week and study the exact stuff we did for part 2. Which one do ya'll think is right lol??

Planning to. Logistics would be easy to just knock it out before residency.

Senioritis striking hard. That and planning to move/finding job for the wife etc before residency starts....
Yeah I am definitely burnt out. I am going to enjoy my few months off and take it at the end of PGY1.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I am definitely burnt out. I am going to enjoy my few months off and take it at the end of PGY1.

Likewise, part 3 is the last thing in my mind rn. Looking forward to a mini vacation and residency prep!
Glad I got yalls opinions.

I'm burnt as well. 80% leaning towards doing the same.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how to obtain the official copy of part 2 results for personal record keeping?

Part 3 is the same test as part 2. I'd recommend taking it before residency. You likely won't use much of that useless information once you start residency. Remember you will be much busier once you start residency than you will be the next few months.

Reactions: 1 users
I just checked my CASPR and I unfortunately didn't end up matching. Can someone help clarify/simplify what I need to do next? It's sort of confusing to be honest

I just checked my CASPR and I unfortunately didn't end up matching. Can someone help clarify/simplify what I need to do next? It's sort of confusing to be honest
Your school should have reached out to you asap.

There is a list of programs that have open slots available. Find out what you can about them and apply to them.

Then its a waiting game to see if any give you an offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have the list of programs that are in the scramble?
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.52.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.53.01 PM.png

good luck guys

Reactions: 2 users
Your school should have reached out to you asap.

There is a list of programs that have open slots available. Find out what you can about them and apply to them.

Then its a waiting game to see if any give you an offer.
Ok! Thanks! Sorry for the late response, just saw your message not so long ago!

the more things change, the more they stay the same. quite a few of the usual suspects on that scramble list...
Would you recommend against any of these programs on the list? If so, which ones? I just don't wanna end up making a decision I regret lol

A lot of the usual, but definitely a few pretty good programs mixed in.
Which of the programs would you consider better (& also manageable) of the programs in this list? How about the programs to avoid??

Which of the programs would you consider better (& also manageable) of the programs in this list? How about the programs to avoid??
If you could snag Mercy Regional, Jewish, Louisville, Yale (if you can put up with them), or even St. Vincent I would consider that a pretty good scramble pick up.

If you could snag Mercy Regional, Jewish, Louisville, Yale (if you can put up with them), or even St. Vincent I would consider that a pretty good scramble pick up.
Oooh thanks! What about any to absolutely avoid lol??? (like those that are just terrible and/or just so hardcore). What about any of the New York programs? Any of those good?? How about Beumont in Farmington Hills Michigan?? Oh and I forgot, what about that VA hospital in Richmond Virginia (McGuire)???

Oooh thanks! What about any to absolutely avoid lol??? (like those that are just terrible and/or just so hardcore). What about any of the New York programs? Any of those good?? How about Beumont in Farmington Hills Michigan?? Oh and I forgot, what about that VA hospital in Richmond Virginia (McGuire)???
VA McGuire is decent and has nice residents.

St. Mary's SF also has good training. Didn't expect them to scramble but they've been playing the selective game lately so had it coming.

Sorry I really don’t have much knowledge of others on the list outside of the ones I named.

Has anyone heard anything about the Brooklyn Hospital Center podiatry residency program? How about inspira in Vineland NJ? What about Health Alliance in Kingston NY? A chief resident from the Kingston NY program left a voicemail on my cell number today that they were interviewing for the program today from 4:30 pm-5:30 pm. Inspira sent an email sending some program info. Brooklyn Hospital Center also sent an email. Any thought on any of these????

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't tell you anything about those programs. A few years ago some good people from my class scrambled. Several picked up programs that actually will positively set the course of their career.

You find out you didn't match. It sucks. You are likely heart broken questioning your career, plan, existence, faith in the profession, faith in god etc. Perhaps you had plans for programs near family and now you have to let your family know you'll very possibly be on the other side of the country or in NY.

Back in the day on match day the people who matched knew exactly where they were going - now they just know that they matched. Theoretically that gave you something to work with back in the day - if you saw a scrambling program and knew your friend was going there you could theoretically try to make a play to your friend to put a word in for you.

Your school should be advocating on your behalf. If people at programs have connections back to your school they may be talking about you.

On day 1 you essentially dump your application back into the mix. There really isn't time to modify it/change it/etc.

At this point you have a few paths:
-back in the day the rules said you had to wait for programs to contact you. They might. Whatever you are doing - stop. Your rotation is done. Go somewhere with cell phone reception and wait. You will likely have to do Skype/Zoom interviews or something like that. Might consider pulling out a coat/tie if that's your style. Be somewhere with good wifi. Some will just want to know your story. Some want to pimp you. You are not through as a person - things are just going to be different than you planned. Steel your spine. Straighten your ****. You're a 4th year podiatry student and in a few months you are going to be a resident. There's no time for tears or losing it. Think about your strengths. Toss around some possible answers for "why do you think you are here" in your mind. And then.. say whatever you have to say.
-OR - start calling places yourself. Start asking people if they know someone at a program that you can call. A few years ago this was against the rules but what can they do to you that is worse than what's already happening?
-Is something in driving range? I don't know what's proper in Covid times but I know of a program back in the day that said anyone who gets in the car and drives here gets the program.

It goes without saying that if you visited/interviewed with a program, didn't rank them, and then scrambled and they scrambled and ranked you then they know you didn't rank them . Just throwing that out their for an awkward laugh if somehow you should speak to them again. "Why didn't you rank us!"

The MP2 process is -different-. Things only happen at the round. The rounds are long.

A round begins. You can see how many programs have ranked you - this may or may not be much comfort. If you are offered a program it will be shown. If you like what you are offered you accept and the whole thing is over. If you are offered multiple programs and you accept one it frees all those other spots up to go to other people in later rounds. If you hate your offer...consider waiting. If literally only 1 program ranked you and its the program you see - that's it.

Now here's where things get interesting - offers only can occur at rounds. Top tier people may have multiple offers sitting waiting to them. Since they can only take 1 of them that means those offers will pass down to later rounds.

As people accept offers - programs that ranked you may start to disappear as possibilities since they've selected higher ranked people over you. You can literally watch possibilities disappear. However, programs can see people disappearing also ie. if they offered their spot to someone who turned them down for another program. So the programs can see their rank list and see their people disappearing as those people rank other programs. That means that programs who were declined in the first round will start calling people down their list saying - hey, if you don't rank anything you are going to be offered a spot by us in the next round. Programs theoretically should get more talkative as this goes on. Consider that a program calls a person and the person says that 2 other programs have called already - the programs are in danger now of having to chase people into the 3rd round since the 2nd round spot is going to go to a person who has already said they'd turn it down. Again - what I said at the beginning. Crazy process. Long rounds waiting, scheming, planning if a program. Things only happen at the round so theoretically you could be sitting on 2 in the second round and the program you don't pick has to go to round 3 (don't feel bad for them - always look out for yourself).

Forever ago my program had a scramble spot. My PD was like - how do we play this. I told him we HAVE to find someone decent that we like and make it clear to them how bad we want to snag them in round 1 because once you get out of round 1 its a blood bath for everyone. If you are a program and your 1st round pick declines you need to pick up the phone and tell your next choice you're waiting for them in the next round.

I post this probably every year. My info may be getting old out of date but that's how it used to work.

Good luck. You are still a person of worth and value.

Reactions: 7 users
Can't tell you anything about those programs. A few years ago some good people from my class scrambled. Several picked up programs that actually will positively set the course of their career.

You find out you didn't match. It sucks. You are likely heart broken questioning your career, plan, existence, faith in the profession, faith in god etc. Perhaps you had plans for programs near family and now you have to let your family know you'll very possibly be on the other side of the country or in NY.

Back in the day on match day the people who matched knew exactly where they were going - now they just know that they matched. Theoretically that gave you something to work with back in the day - if you saw a scrambling program and knew your friend was going there you could theoretically try to make a play to your friend to put a word in for you.

Your school should be advocating on your behalf. If people at programs have connections back to your school they may be talking about you.

On day 1 you essentially dump your application back into the mix. There really isn't time to modify it/change it/etc.

At this point you have a few paths:
-back in the day the rules said you had to wait for programs to contact you. They might. Whatever you are doing - stop. Your rotation is done. Go somewhere with cell phone reception and wait. You will likely have to do Skype/Zoom interviews or something like that. Might consider pulling out a coat/tie if that's your style. Be somewhere with good wifi. Some will just want to know your story. Some want to pimp you. You are not through as a person - things are just going to be different than you planned. Steel your spine. Straighten your ****. You're a 4th year podiatry student and in a few months you are going to be a resident. There's no time for tears or losing it. Think about your strengths. Toss around some possible answers for "why do you think you are here" in your mind. And then.. say whatever you have to say.
-OR - start calling places yourself. Start asking people if they know someone at a program that you can call. A few years ago this was against the rules but what can they do to you that is worse than what's already happening?
-Is something in driving range? I don't know what's proper in Covid times but I know of a program back in the day that said anyone who gets in the car and drives here gets the program.

It goes without saying that if you visited/interviewed with a program, didn't rank them, and then scrambled and they scrambled and ranked you then they know you didn't rank them . Just throwing that out their for an awkward laugh if somehow you should speak to them again. "Why didn't you rank us!"

The MP2 process is -different-. Things only happen at the round. The rounds are long.

A round begins. You can see how many programs have ranked you - this may or may not be much comfort. If you are offered a program it will be shown. If you like what you are offered you accept and the whole thing is over. If you are offered multiple programs and you accept one it frees all those other spots up to go to other people in later rounds. If you hate your offer...consider waiting. If literally only 1 program ranked you and its the program you see - that's it.

Now here's where things get interesting - offers only can occur at rounds. Top tier people may have multiple offers sitting waiting to them. Since they can only take 1 of them that means those offers will pass down to later rounds.

As people accept offers - programs that ranked you may start to disappear as possibilities since they've selected higher ranked people over you. You can literally watch possibilities disappear. However, programs can see people disappearing also ie. if they offered their spot to someone who turned them down for another program. So the programs can see their rank list and see their people disappearing as those people rank other programs. That means that programs who were declined in the first round will start calling people down their list saying - hey, if you don't rank anything you are going to be offered a spot by us in the next round. Programs theoretically should get more talkative as this goes on. Consider that a program calls a person and the person says that 2 other programs have called already - the programs are in danger now of having to chase people into the 3rd round since the 2nd round spot is going to go to a person who has already said they'd turn it down. Again - what I said at the beginning. Crazy process. Long rounds waiting, scheming, planning if a program. Things only happen at the round so theoretically you could be sitting on 2 in the second round and the program you don't pick has to go to round 3 (don't feel bad for them - always look out for yourself).

Forever ago my program had a scramble spot. My PD was like - how do we play this. I told him we HAVE to find someone decent that we like and make it clear to them how bad we want to snag them in round 1 because once you get out of round 1 its a blood bath for everyone. If you are a program and your 1st round pick declines you need to pick up the phone and tell your next choice you're waiting for them in the next round.

I post this probably every year. My info may be getting old out of date but that's how it used to work.

Good luck. You are still a person of worth and value.
Disappear? You mean for example if there's only 1 spot in a program someone is ranked #10 and someone is ranked #1, if #10 accepts first then #1 loses their spot and vise versa? So it's first come first serve?

Disappear? You mean for example if there's only 1 spot in a program someone is ranked #10 and someone is ranked #1, if #10 accepts first then #1 loses their spot and vise versa? So it's first come first serve?
The system is interactive - consider that a program has ranked 10 people. In round #1 the person they offer the program to accepts. Other people's screens that say you have been ranked by will automatically adjust to say they have been ranked by 9 programs ie. everyone else's total drops by 1.

Here's the heart of MP2. Unless it has changed the MP2 favors PROGRAMS.

In the MATCH both the programs and the residents rank each other. The program seeks out #1 to #1 matches. You got to submit an opinion. Its taken into consideration. In short - its relatively equivalent for all.

The MP2 favors the PROGRAMS GROSSLY. Consider that you are ranked #2 by a bunch of good programs in the MP2, but are ranked #1 by a NY program you hate. You are forced to consider the program considerations - so you have to think to yourself, do I turn down this NY program and hope something better is waiting for me. But the problem is everyone is sitting there staring at their first round pick and essentially making artificial selections.

They don't run a match in MP2 for probably a few reasons
-theoretically a match needs to be evaluated/double checked
-this assuredly helps fill bad programs that probably would have trouble filling otherwise. It forces students to say - well here's a program, I have to take it.

The system is interactive - consider that a program has ranked 10 people. In round #1 the person they offer the program to accepts. Other people's screens that say you have been ranked by will automatically adjust to say they have been ranked by 9 programs ie. everyone else's total drops by 1.

Here's the heart of MP2. Unless it has changed the MP2 favors PROGRAMS.

In the MATCH both the programs and the residents rank each other. The program seeks out #1 to #1 matches. You got to submit an opinion. Its taken into consideration. In short - its relatively equivalent for all.

The MP2 favors the PROGRAMS GROSSLY. Consider that you are ranked #2 by a bunch of good programs in the MP2, but are ranked #1 by a NY program you hate. You are forced to consider the program considerations - so you have to think to yourself, do I turn down this NY program and hope something better is waiting for me. But the problem is everyone is sitting there staring at their first round pick and essentially making artificial selections.

They don't run a match in MP2 for probably a few reasons
-theoretically a match needs to be evaluated/double checked
-this assuredly helps fill bad programs that probably would have trouble filling otherwise. It forces students to say - well here's a program, I have to take it.
Ok thank you!

I've written a terrible scenario to describe how the MP2 could function.

Consider the following:
There are 3 students in the scramble though they don't know this.

There are 4 programs in the scramble:
(1) West Penn
(2) JPS
(3) PSL
(4) and Wykoff Heights, NY, RRA - maybe with multiple spots open.

The 3 students are excited to see there's still some good programs in the match.
One of the students really wants to do a lot of Austin's in Colorado.
One can't wait to do a fellowship after West Penn even though West Penn does more than enough fusions
One really hopes to learn to speak Spanish in Fort Worth and is a self starter who hates supervision. He heard the JPS cafeteria is pretty decent.

Were there simply a match occurring the 3 students would rank the programs in the order of their interest and the NY program would almost assuredly be last.

However, unless its dramatically changed that is not how MP2 works. Let's say one of the students is better than the others. The 3 good programs all rank that person #1. So one of the students now has their pick of programs. Yay. However, at least one of the students is going to be offered NY as their first round choice. Hell, maybe NY offers its 6 RRA spots to multiple students in the first round. In fact, there are good things that are going to be available. If they click Yes to NY its all over. If the person with multiple offers selects their choice and the other programs start calling people saying "hey, wait till next round" good things can still happen. But the students don't really know what's left.

In short - the students consideration is no longer in the picture. Its just a case of how programs offer spots and if you are ranked #1 by a bad program you may never get the opportunity to take advantage of being ranked #2 by another program.

• Wow
I've written a terrible scenario to describe how the MP2 could function.

Consider the following:
There are 3 students in the scramble though they don't know this.

There are 4 programs in the scramble:
(1) West Penn
(2) JPS
(3) PSL
(4) and Wykoff Heights, NY, RRA - maybe with multiple spots open.

The 3 students are excited to see there's still some good programs in the match.
One of the students really wants to do a lot of Austin's in Colorado.
One can't wait to do a fellowship after West Penn even though West Penn does more than enough fusions
One really hopes to learn to speak Spanish in Fort Worth and is a self starter who hates supervision. He heard the JPS cafeteria is pretty decent.

Were there simply a match occurring the 3 students would rank the programs in the order of their interest and the NY program would almost assuredly be last.

However, unless its dramatically changed that is not how MP2 works. Let's say one of the students is better than the others. The 3 good programs all rank that person #1. So one of the students now has their pick of programs. Yay. However, at least one of the students is going to be offered NY as their first round choice. Hell, maybe NY offers its 6 RRA spots to multiple students in the first round. In fact, there are good things that are going to be available. If they click Yes to NY its all over. If the person with multiple offers selects their choice and the other programs start calling people saying "hey, wait till next round" good things can still happen. But the students don't really know what's left.

In short - the students consideration is no longer in the picture. Its just a case of how programs offer spots and if you are ranked #1 by a bad program you may never get the opportunity to take advantage of being ranked #2 by another program.
This process is too stressful lol

Has anyone heard anything about the Brooklyn Hospital Center podiatry residency program? How about inspira in Vineland NJ? What about Health Alliance in Kingston NY? A chief resident from the Kingston NY program left a voicemail on my cell number today that they were interviewing for the program today from 4:30 pm-5:30 pm. Inspira sent an email sending some program info. Brooklyn Hospital Center also sent an email. Any thought on any of these????

Heard good things about Brooklyn Hosp from ppl that rotated there. Not sure about the other two.

Heard good things about Brooklyn Hosp from ppl that rotated there. Not sure about the other two.
if it still says I'm ranked all positions haven't been filled yet and I still have a chance? Jeez somehow this is more stressful than both parts of the boards exams lol

if it still says I'm ranked all positions haven't been filled yet and I still have a chance? Jeez somehow this is more stressful than both parts of the boards exams lol
Of course man.

Hang in there. Do what you can.

****ty situation but you need to jump.

Of course man.

Hang in there. Do what you can.

****ty situation but you need to jump.
Well thank god that's over lol. Rough lol. Now can look forward to residency! Can we put together residency prep session or something???

Well at some point I will be enthusiastic and out of date. Please do post the match statistics when they come up. I semi-jokingly don't even know where to get that sort of information anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Is there a recording of that residency review session? Any study guides/documents or anything to help out???

Is there a recording of that residency review session? Any study guides/documents or anything to help out???
Stay humble, don't be cocky, treat all staff and everyone with respect, don't be the one that pimps students for fun, don't lie, and above all, never try to cut a patient for the sake of your benefit.

Stay humble, don't be cocky, treat all staff and everyone with respect, don't be the one that pimps students for fun, don't lie, and above all, never try to cut a patient for the sake of your benefit.
Do you think it's a good idea to keep pocket pod in handy in my lab coat for reference? I used it for part 2 so it should be enough for residency also???