Interview overload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipsyde10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I haven't posted much but I've read alot of what you smarties have to say. I applied to 26 schools, thinking that I wouldn't hear back from alot of them. However, I've already gotten interviews from 7 schools, mostly in Texas. (BTW, thanks for your TX school descriptions UTSouthwestern...excellent). I applied all over the Southeast and I'm afraid that I may get too many interviews than I reserved time for. The schools that sent me early invites I immediately accepted and set dates. I've been holding on the more recent ones I've gotten though to see what else comes in the mail.

Here are my questions:

1. By when can I be reasonably confident that all my interviews offers will have reached me? Do alot send offers after the MSPE's get in on Nov. 1?
2. For the schools that I've already accepted interviews to, am I stuck with them, or can I cancel them if I have to really start prioritizing interviews? And if I have to cancel, how do I do so tactfully and will it affect my chances with other schools?
3. How many schools is a decent number to interview at? I'm willing to set aside another 2 weeks to fit interviews in if I must, but that's all I can afford.
4. How long can I really hold off on accepting interview dates? I'm sure the dates fill up quickly, which is why I don't want to wait until November before I start planning out where I want to go, and how (routes, plane/car, etc.). If they offer me an interview, is there a chance that if I want too long they will give away that spot?

Sorry this is so long. I appreciate all you guys in advance. I'm just kinda freaking out with the idea that I may get way more than I actually expected. The number I have now is still very manageable, but its not even halfway through October and I'm worried I might not have the time/resources to do everything.

And please don't think that I'm writing this to toot my own horn. I'm really anxious and surprised, just needing some advice from some of the people in the know.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to take vacation to do interviews. A clinic month will let you go to weekend interviews without any time off, and you can take a few days off a month during the week for interviews. They know you have to interview, so taking a few days shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to use all your vacation time interviewing.
Almost everyone with more than 10 interviews matched last year. I was one of the few exceptions to that rule, but 10 is statistically safe anyway, especially if you have your home program to fall back on.

I am having the same issue. When you are offered an interview.. what is really the best way to turn it down without sounding offensive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my questions:

1. By when can I be reasonably confident that all my interviews offers will have reached me? Do alot send offers after the MSPE's get in on Nov. 1?
No, by Nov 1st you'll probably have the great majority of your interviews

2. For the schools that I've already accepted interviews to, am I stuck with them, or can I cancel them if I have to really start prioritizing interviews? And if I have to cancel, how do I do so tactfully and will it affect my chances with other schools?
Uhhh..yea, you can cancel dude. The proper way to do it is at least 2 weeks in advance. As far as I know there is no information network that programs share to communicate who cancels which interview - and even if they did, why would they care. Stop being paranoid (happens to everyone tho)...just know that when you start taking apart the shower head to find the FBI's listening device, its time to check yourself in.

3. How many schools is a decent number to interview at? I'm willing to set aside another 2 weeks to fit interviews in if I must, but that's all I can afford.
No good answer. Probably eight or more is a good number, but over twelve your just wasting money. If you cant match in twelve, doubt youre gunna match.

4. How long can I really hold off on accepting interview dates? I'm sure the dates fill up quickly, which is why I don't want to wait until November before I start planning out where I want to go, and how (routes, plane/car, etc.). If they offer me an interview, is there a chance that if I want too long they will give away that spot?Don't wait even a minute. Schedule it and cancel later, they WILL fill quickly.

What about resecheduling interviews? Say I confirm an interview, and then two weeks later, in order to fit in another interview, I reschedule. Is this ok? Seems like a nightmare for the program coordinators, but I guess that is their job.

dude- are you freakin' kidding me? Some of us don't even have 1 interview, and you're anxious? I think someone here needs a chill pill....