Interview Question - Top Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dashbddrumr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have noticed it is a common theme in interviews (or at least mine) for them to ask which other schools you have applied to. I decided just to answer honestly. Recently, however, an interviewer asked me what my top three choices would be and what would happen if I got accepted to all three. I don't really think that is a fair question to ask and am afraid that he thinks I won't go there if I'm accepted to other schools. It really is one of my top choices, but now I am a little nervous because I am wondering if he believes I would go there or not?

Shouldn't it go without saying that if you bother to spend the time/money on the application and the time/money going to the interview that you are interested in the school and would attend if accepted?

In my neurotic premed mind I'm having visions of getting rejected at most of the schools simply because they think I would have a choice of several schools and would choose another one (even though I have done my best to make sure every school knew that they were my top choice).

Members don't see this ad.

Its kind of like when the interviewer looks at you and says, "Well, I think you'll have a choice of several places," and it makes you feel like they are just trying to console you prior to a rejection from them...

I almost feel like writing a letter of interest to them just to override the interviewer's potential belief that I wouldn't go there if I got multiple acceptances. Would this be jumping the gun too much considering they won't even meet to make a decision until sometime in mid-January?

This is a dilemma. I have been asked "How many and which schools have you applied?" at my EVERY interview. I couldn't help but be honest in that moment, but it makes me wonder whether they think I may not be very interested in their school :(