Interview Question: Where else have you applied/interviewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md689

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions, anyone: I have been asked during multiple interviews (at different schools) the following questions: "Where else have you applied?" and "Where else have you interviewed? What did you think?".

I have been honest, as with the other questions I have been asked. This said, I have found one small constructive criticism about other schools where possible, so as to reaffirm my interest (in contrast) in the particular school at which I find myself interviewing.

Anxious applicant that I am, I am wondering if School X. would ever have occasion to converse with School Y. The truth is that there are goods and bads to each place and that neither am I in the position to make a verdict until I (hopefully) have been accepted, nor do I know yet what I would ultimately decide, if I were. Can anybody out there confirm that I am crazy to worry about schools comparing notes? Also, anyone have a better way to handle this situation?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. I am applying to 20+ schools. I don't want to mention this fact to any schools that I am applying to. How do you avoid this without lying.

It might depend on the school. I believe I've heard my premed advisor and others say that the three Virginia med schools DO talk to each other. What the contents of their discussions are, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JBJ
This is a good question. I am applying to 20+ schools. I don't want to mention this fact to any schools that I am applying to. How do you avoid this without lying.

Well, if they ask you directly how many schools you've applied to, it might be hard. I think it's more usual to be asked "Where all have you applied?" In either case, after saying you've applied to some other schools without naming a number (I doubt they'll press you on this), try to swing the conversation quickly to why you've applied to their school.

I don't like this question either, but I got it at my first interview. The head of the MD/PhD program asked me, "So who are my competitors?" I'm like... huh? Then he clarified: "Where else did you apply?" To answer, I mentioned a few schools on about the same tier as the school, but did not mention any names of top schools I'm applying to.

I'm also applying to ~20 schools and would like some advice on what to say if I were asked that question. I don't want to lie of course, but I don't want them to think I'm not interested in their school. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this question yet. Unfortunately, it's because I haven't had any interviews yet. So any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

*bump*

Some advice:
Tell them generally (geographically speaking) where you're applying;i.e. Midwest, East Coast... If they're still persistent, you can name a couple that are on the same tier as they are (someone may have mentioned this already).

I've heard (from friend) that you can decline to answer as it is considered to be inappropriate. She declined to answer and was still accepted to that school.

I've found that if I just say something like "all over the place" they tend to drop the conversation. They know you aren't spending the money to come interview unless you were interested. Just don't lie, it shows, and integrity is a big thing.

Aren't these sorts of questions a violation of privacy or something? And how the heck do the people reply for the people who have actually given names?

Originally posted by crazyA
Aren't these sorts of questions a violation of privacy or something? And how the heck do the people reply for the people who have actually given names?

good questions! I believe you're right on the nose about the 1st ?. It's definitely infringes on your right to privacy.

As to the 2nd...I've never had a friend succumb to the 1st ?...so who knows what happens. I can only imagine that they make a mental note of it and see where their school is in relation to the names given.

(side note: I used to live on Ranchview Dr in Naperville...good luck with everything)

I've actually been given "other great schools I should consider" advice during an interview. When I actually named schools, I told them I was naming the schools I had been invited to interview at and then just nodded.

One interviewer asked me why I picked my major, then spent 20 minutes telling me how I should go about picking a school. It was weird.

Originally posted by seaworthc
I've actually been given "other great schools I should consider" advice during an interview. When I actually named schools, I told them I was naming the schools I had been invited to interview at and then just nodded.

One interviewer asked me why I picked my major, then spent 20 minutes telling me how I should go about picking a school. It was weird.

at one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me to name some of the schools i applied to, HOW many schools i applied to, and why i'd even consider going to a ny school instead of my california schools. tough.....

I was actually going to post a thread about this very topic and then I saw this one. I just interviewed with one of my state schools (my first choice) and during the interview I made it VERY clear that this school was my first choice. I also have an interview with my other state school in a few weeks and was planning to, of course, insist to them that they are my first choice. I would be happy at either school. But now I am concerned that there will be conversations btwn the schools and they will realize I told them both they are my first choice, and my credibility will be questioned. Ok, sorry for rambling, but do I have reason to be worried? Do adcoms do this sort of thing?

I got this question once... I just said "Oh here and there... all over the place..." However, my interviewer didn't get the hint that I didn't want to discuss it. She kept pressing me "like where...?" and so I said the names of 2 schools. Then she said "So you're only applying to 3 schools?!... No?... well then where else?...hhmmm... is that it? anywhere else?"

It was really akward... I felt this interviewer was ~demanding~ I tell her everywhere that I applied... despite all my attempts to dodge the question or move on to something else. Then she preceded to ask where I got interviews... !!!

I don't know... but I always thought interviewers weren't meant to be that nosey about your other applications.

wel l i know for mstp admissions they definately talk to each other - at my last interview the admissions director told us an anecdote - "last year a student was accepted to our program and anothers, and was taking too long to decide. after conversing with the other school we decided to drop him simultaneously - but luckily he barely made the deadline". that would be pretty high on the suckage scale. there seems like too many peopel to do that with md apps. i usually (haha n=1) mention a couple school in the same tier and one higher for brevities sake.