Interview Questions -Offensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skatertudoroga

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey would it be a good idea to ask your interviewer questions specific to his work. I.e. if he's a professor of biochem, i could ask him questions about biochem and if he's a clinician i could ask him some deep question about his specialty and follow up too. You know go on the offensive? I mean I wouldnt ask some silly question. Or do they expect you to only ask questions about school curriculum? Lets they ask me what specialty I want to go into and I say something and then follow up with a question to put him on the defensive would that be inappropriate? How about if he asks me what I think about healthcare and I then ask him what does he think? Good or bad? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Was there a breath in there? I got exhausted just reading that.

I'm pretty sure any question relating to medicine/that school/the schools surrounding area are all relevant and acceptable topics to bring up at a medical school interview.

Was there a breath in there? I got exhausted just reading that.

I'm pretty sure any question relating to medicine/that school/the schools surrounding area are all relevant and acceptable topics to bring up at a medical school interview.

Ok, so it's not inappropriate if he asks me "what do you think about the healthcare crisis?" to say "i think blablablalba. what do you think?" and whatever he says say "oooh good" or "good to know, sir"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so it's not inappropriate if he asks me "what do you think about the healthcare crisis?" to say "i think blablablalba. what do you think?" and whatever he says say "oooh good" or "good to know, sir"?

If you approach your interview like this where you treat it like an question-answer session with pre-planned responses to everything I think you'll drive yourself crazy. Have some idea what you would say to the big questions like Why Medicine?, Strengths and Weaknesses?, What about the healthcare crisis?, etc but otherwise treat it like a conversation. Respond to things they say and let it be a two-sided conversation otherwise you might come off as too nervous. Of course even though it is just a conversation, be careful to avoid anything that could be construed as offensive.

If you approach your interview like this where you treat it like an question-answer session with pre-planned responses to everything I think you'll drive yourself crazy. Have some idea what you would say to the big questions like Why Medicine?, Strengths and Weaknesses?, What about the healthcare crisis?, etc but otherwise treat it like a conversation. Respond to things they say and let it be a two-sided conversation otherwise you might come off as too nervous. Of course even though it is just a conversation, be careful to avoid anything that could be construed as offensive.
i don't know how to have a conversation. :( so you did not answer my question. he asks me what do you think about the healthcare crisis. i answer. then i ask him what does he think? or i wait for the next question? or if I ask him and he says what he thinks do I say how his opinion is so much like mine and then wait for the next question?

you wait. this isn't about interviewing him/her and if the behavior is questionable in the first place, that means SOMEONE may get offended, so I wouldn't test it. They may get pissed of thinking, "this isn't about me." Wouldn't it suck to take a gamble like that and miss out on an acceptance.

i don't know how to have a conversation.:(

You know that's a terrible trait for a physician to have, right?

so you did not answer my question. he asks me what do you think about the healthcare crisis. i answer. then i ask him what does he think? or i wait for the next question? or if I ask him and he says what he thinks do I say how his opinion is so much like mine and then wait for the next question?

Its fine to ask him what he thinks of the healthcare issue if he didn't chime in during your response, but if he did its not necessarily appropriate to ask something then. I'd follow up on his point of view for sure, but it's definitely not necessary to say how "his opinion is so like mine." In fact, I had differing viewpoints with nearly all my interviewers on how the healthcare crisis has gone, particularly because they are already in the field and are way more knowledgeable on the subject. In those times when they disagree, I say something like "oh, I never thought about it that way" or "i see what you mean" or "that makes sense". But honestly, conversations are fluid, ever-changing things and its impossible to predict every possible path one can take - you HAVE to be able to hear something you did not prepare for and respond appropriately.

you wait. this isn't about interviewing him/her and if the behavior is questionable in the first place, that means SOMEONE may get offended, so I wouldn't test it. They may get pissed of thinking, "this isn't about me." Wouldn't it suck to take a gamble like that and miss out on an acceptance.
Thank you. Your answer makes sense.:thumbup:

You know that's a terrible trait for a physician to have, right?

Its fine to ask him what he thinks of the healthcare issue if he didn't chime in during your response, but if he did its not necessarily appropriate to ask something then. I'd follow up on his point of view for sure, but it's definitely not necessary to say how "his opinion is so like mine." In fact, I had differing viewpoints with nearly all my interviewers on how the healthcare crisis has gone, particularly because they are already in the field and are way more knowledgeable on the subject. In those times when they disagree, I say something like "oh, I never thought about it that way" or "i see what you mean" or "that makes sense". But honestly, conversations are fluid, ever-changing things and its impossible to predict every possible path one can take - you HAVE to be able to hear something you did not prepare for and respond appropriately.

Thank you.:thumbup: