interview: reaction to comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

standup man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my interview, everything was going well and then in the end the guy starts saying how i shouldn't put all of my eggs in one basket and since I'm 21 I have a lot of time. He started saying this after he asked me where else I applied and having gone through the cities I applied to( there were a number of schools). What did the interviewer meant by that? was he kind of rejecting me already??? what do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

This happened to me at one of my MSTP interviews. My interviewer asked me where else I had applied and whether I had safety schools, and even went so far as to tell me that he wasn't so sure I could get into an MD/PhD program at all, much less his program. I don't have any acceptances yet, but I do have 8 other interviews, so I've decided to take his opinion with a grain of salt. I'd advise you to do the same. I was panicked and upset for a couple of days after that interview, but I've gotten feedback at other places that was just as positive as his was negative. Try not to worry about one person's opinions, especially b/c you don't even know what he was really thinking.

Do you think the interviewers are maybe just trying to push your buttons to see how well you react under the pressure? Maybe just pressing you so you could state why exactly it is you would make a great candidate?
Its a pretty mean thing to do but you both must have been qualified or why bother extending an interview right?