Nervous during interview. What to make of this comment by interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmd112

Reaction score
I recently interviewed at a t10 school that is one of my top choices. Since I really want this school, I felt pretty nervous during my first interview. Like I answered all the questions, but there were maybe like 3 questions that I didn't really have an answer prepared for. So I kind of stumbled through the answer and was very smooth in my deliver. Like definitely some repetition and rambling to take up time while trying to find a better answer in my head. I guess my first question is, what makes a bad interview? I have a pretty strong application as a whole, so like what would it take to prevent me from getting an acceptance? Would giving decent answers for most questions, but then stumbling through and talking fast through other answers ruin my chances? I think my interviewer could probably tell that I was struggling to come up with an answer for these few questions and that I was straight BSing lolol. Another thing I wanted to mention was that near the end of my interview, my interviewer said something along the lines of "You have a very strong application and I like you very much. I'll make sure to write good things about you to the committee". It definitely felt weird to me since I didn't feel that the interview went as well as it could've. Do you think my interviewer would lie about something like this? I feel like if it didn't go well he just wouldn't say anything. It would make me feel so much better if he really meant it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a weird situation and I would have mixed feelings as well! Curious to see what other adcoms would say about this as well, as I know that those who are doing the interview are trained to be nice, but to straight up say "I got your back on this" is something I wouldn't expect. I also don't think he would lie either; he could have just as easily said it was a pleasure to interview you and moved on, but he said he will say good things about you, so I would believe him. Again, curious as to what other adcoms have to say about this.

And not to hijack this thread, but how about when an interviewer gives me their card? Is that normal, or does that mean I did good as he might be trying to establish a relationship with me (kinda like "feel free to contact me"). Probably reading too much into it.

It definitely felt weird to me since I didn't feel that the interview went as well as it could've.

It happens. I had interviewers tell me that. First of all, applicants tend to be pretty poor judges of their own performance, so it’s possible you did better than you think.

1. He was being sincere and will recommend you for acceptance
2. He could tell you were nervous and didn’t want to hurt your feelings so he lied to make you feel better.

There is no way to know until you get a decision. If you get accepted, he probably wrote good things. Unfortunately, if you get rejected or waitlisted he still could have done either of those because the interview is just one part. I got WLed at one of the schools where the interviewer told me he was going to write amazing things about me, and I got accepted to the other school where they said that. I ultimately got accepted to the WL school and I know he actually wrote good things because I saw what he wrote after getting in, so that just shows you that it’s only one piece.

So I’d just try to learn from the interview experience and move on without dwelling on it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stumbling through an answer or two likely won't ruin an interview. However, you shouldn't feel pressured to answer quickly at the cost of cogency; it's okay to take a brief moment to pause and think of what you want to say.

The interviewer doesn't really gain much from lying to you about that. Unless he seemed inauthentic or the interview was very-obviously bad, I would take him at his word.

Reactions: 5 users
First, you may be an overly harsh critic of your own performance--don't doubt that possibility. Second, I don't see why the interviewer would volunteer information that wasn't true. Third, looking backward may be inevitable but it is not productive. Try your best to shake off any lingering anxiety you may have about past interviews and work on things that you can control, such as filling any perceived gaps in your interview preparation.

Reactions: 3 users
From my own interview experience, trying to show sincerity compassion and enthusiasm seem to be the most important things. Your heart is in the right place. Im sure you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I recently interviewed at a t10 school that is one of my top choices. Since I really want this school, I felt pretty nervous during my first interview. Like I answered all the questions, but there were maybe like 3 questions that I didn't really have an answer prepared for. So I kind of stumbled through the answer and was very smooth in my deliver. Like definitely some repetition and rambling to take up time while trying to find a better answer in my head. I guess my first question is, what makes a bad interview? I have a pretty strong application as a whole, so like what would it take to prevent me from getting an acceptance? Would giving decent answers for most questions, but then stumbling through and talking fast through other answers ruin my chances? I think my interviewer could probably tell that I was struggling to come up with an answer for these few questions and that I was straight BSing lolol. Another thing I wanted to mention was that near the end of my interview, my interviewer said something along the lines of "You have a very strong application and I like you very much. I'll make sure to write good things about you to the committee". It definitely felt weird to me since I didn't feel that the interview went as well as it could've. Do you think my interviewer would lie about something like this? I feel like if it didn't go well he just wouldn't say anything. It would make me feel so much better if he really meant it.

if the interviewer was lying (unlikely), I think that would be a really strange move bc saying something like that would not only further throw off the candidate (to those who are self-aware anyway). Chances are, you probably did a lot better than you think! If anything, just use this as a learning lesson for future interviews. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
1) the fact that you can reflect on your interview performance suggests a level of social awareness that likely translates well to the interview itself - you probably did better than you think

2) I wouldn’t read into anything interviewers say now or in the future. Interviewers aren’t necessarily lying, but you have no idea what their baseline is. Put your best foot forward and then don’t over analyze.

Reactions: 5 users
And not to hijack this thread, but how about when an interviewer gives me their card? Is that normal, or does that mean I did good as he might be trying to establish a relationship with me (kinda like "feel free to contact me"). Probably reading too much into it.
That is the interviewer strongly suggesting that you send a thank you notes

Well if you said 'like' anywhere near as many times in the interview as you managed to type here... not good.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Well if you said 'like' anywhere near as many times in the interview as you managed to type here... not good.
Probably did say like this many times, especially when i'm nervous. But honestly I think that it's more natural for me. I never did model UN or debate so I'm not what you would call an eloquent speaker. For the questions for which I prepared answers, my answers were more well spoken, but the questions that caught me more off guard definitely had more rambling/repetition as I was trying to collect my thoughts and get to the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: 1 user
Also is that enough to sink an otherwise very strong application? My interviewer and I still had a pretty good conversation and going in my goal was to talk and be normal to show that despite my stats I'm not socially awkward. Like we talked about local restaurants, music, some of my hobbies... I've never really done public speaking, but otherwise I think I'm pretty normal with a little geeky/nerdiness, which I hope isn't a bad thing.