Interview thank-you notes: how much to say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it kosher to refer back to one of your interview questions in a thank-you note to an interviewer, or is that kind of like coming back to a professor after a test & asking if you can change your answer to a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it kosher to refer back to one of your interview questions in a thank-you note to an interviewer, or is that kind of like coming back to a professor after a test & asking if you can change your answer to a problem?

Anything that will help us jog our memories of you is good. (It is a long season and we see so many applicants.)

and just 1 more question if I may - how many days should I wait after an interview to send a thank-you note? Should it be ASAP after the interview, or more like a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd send it within 2-3 days.

It should say something like:

Dear Dr. XXX,

Thank you for interviewing me on XXX for consideration into school YYY. I very much enjoyed speaking with you about skiing in the Alps and your collection of african blood diamonds.

Sincerely,
Your name.

I just wanted to pipe in and tell folks not to stress too much over thank-you notes. They're nice, and your grandma would roll over in her grave if you didn't write one, but honestly I get most thank-yous well after I've already turned in my evalulation of applicants. This would of course be different for schools where interviewers actually are members of the admissions committee. Also, keep your thank-yous positive!

is it considered too much or taken as brown nosing to write thank you notes to student tour guides (who don't take part in interviews) or members of admissions office who arranged the whole campus visit and provided info sessions or are thank you notes meant solely for interviewers

is it considered too much or taken as brown nosing to write thank you notes to student tour guides (who don't take part in interviews) or members of admissions office who arranged the whole campus visit and provided info sessions or are thank you notes meant solely for interviewers

a thank you for an interview day coordinator is fine/good. if someone wrote me a thank you for giving a tour as a med student, i wouldn't consider it brown-nosing... i'd just be surprised someone went through the trouble... my guess would be most tour guides dont want you to spend that sort of time to thank them. just my two cents.

I found it WAY simpler to just bring a few thank you notes, write them at the end of the day, and leave them with the receptionist. That way I didn't have to remember to do them later, and it maximized the chance people got them before writing my eval and/or discussed me at the adcom meeting. Even though people say TY notes do not sway opinion, I know that I would personally have a more positive impression of an applicant had they given me a professional and thoughtful thank you card. And regardless, it is professional courtesy to send a thank you after any interview.