General Admissions & OTCAS Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

othopeful26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty nervous for an upcoming group interview and was wondering if anyone has any insight or tips for what may be to come? I've only ever done one-on-one interviews, so I'd greatly appreciate any knowledge about how they work!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting pretty nervous for an upcoming group interview and was wondering if anyone has any insight or tips for what may be to come? I've only ever done one-on-one interviews, so I'd greatly appreciate any knowledge about how they work!

The only school to accept me right away as opposed to going through the waitlist was group interview only. Idk why but i really flourished in a group as opposed to one on one. I think what made me stand out was the fact that I kinda had a personality during my interview( which is usually never the case...im the guy who gets an insane amount of anxiety when being interviewed and kinda come off as cold/boring because of it)as compared to the other people that where interviewing with me. So I guess as cliche as it is, be yourself haha.

Every one pretty much has the same answers. Like when they ask "why do you wanna be an OT" every one says that they want to do it to help people. Yeah thats the right answer, but kinda have to make your answer sell and reflect you and your passion for helping someone versus just adding fluff and talking a lot, just to make you seem interested in the field. Actually show that you are passionate and serious about becoming an OT, instead of just going through the motions of an interview.

Also the main thing that really helped me i think is when the two faculty that were interviewing us asked for questions. I asked a lot of questions compared to my group and when the professors were done speaking, I tried to ask a question off what they had just said( or at least tried to add to it/relate). I guess what I am trying to say is that I actually had a conversation with the professors while everyone else just sat there because they were to scared to say anything.

Don't be afraid or weirded out with other people like you that are in the room.My group interview was strange position to be in for all of us but its still a dog eat dog situation and you really have to okay with outshining them in a sense. Just make sure to be polite and encouraging of the other interviewees to show that your not selfish a hole also haha.

Structure wise, they ask a question and you go down in a row to give your answer. The next question, the person who answered last would answer first, and it would go down the row in the opposite way.The third topic was to ask them questions, and the fourth topic for us was to talk to each other(interviewees) about a issue in the OT field. I think we also talked about cool things we saw in observation because it was dead silent after talking about the issue and we needed to kill time haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The only school to accept me right away as opposed to going through the waitlist was group interview only. Idk why but i really flourished in a group as opposed to one on one. I think what made me stand out was the fact that I kinda had a personality during my interview( which is usually never the case...im the guy who gets an insane amount of anxiety when being interviewed and kinda come off as cold/boring because of it)as compared to the other people that where interviewing with me. So I guess as cliche as it is, be yourself haha.

Every one pretty much has the same answers. Like when they ask "why do you wanna be an OT" every one says that they want to do it to help people. Yeah thats the right answer, but kinda have to make your answer sell and reflect you and your passion for helping someone versus just adding fluff and talking a lot, just to make you seem interested in the field. Actually show that you are passionate and serious about becoming an OT, instead of just going through the motions of an interview.

Also the main thing that really helped me i think is when the two faculty that were interviewing us asked for questions. I asked a lot of questions compared to my group and when the professors were done speaking, I tried to ask a question off what they had just said( or at least tried to add to it/relate). I guess what I am trying to say is that I actually had a conversation with the professors while everyone else just sat there because they were to scared to say anything.

Don't be afraid or weirded out with other people like you that are in the room.My group interview was strange position to be in for all of us but its still a dog eat dog situation and you really have to okay with outshining them in a sense. Just make sure to be polite and encouraging of the other interviewees to show that your not selfish a hole also haha.

Structure wise, they ask a question and you go down in a row to give your answer. The next question, the person who answered last would answer first, and it would go down the row in the opposite way.The third topic was to ask them questions, and the fourth topic for us was to talk to each other(interviewees) about a issue in the OT field. I think we also talked about cool things we saw in observation because it was dead silent after talking about the issue and we needed to kill time haha.

Thank you so much for that insight! I feel like that was some great advice and I'll try my best to be myself haha... sometimes much harder than it seems. I really appreciate the lengthy response! :) And congrats on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for that insight! I feel like that was some great advice and I'll try my best to be myself haha... sometimes much harder than it seems. I really appreciate the lengthy response! :) And congrats on your acceptance!
No problem :) I'm sure you'll be fine!

Great advice from JAL2016. I've been accepted to a school that used a group interview format, and was a part of my school's hiring committee in my first career as a teacher. The only things I'd add are:

1) While other people are giving their answers, think of 2-3 key points you would emphasize for your own answer. That way, when it's your turn you'll have something to choose from instead of being stuck repeating and rephrasing what other people said. The worst part of group interviews is having your preferred response taken and not being able to think of something uniquely yours. If you're first, you've got it easy (so volunteer if possible!)

2) Remember you are addressing a group, and not just the faculty/interviewers. Make eye contact and orient your body towards your peers while answering, and include them in your answers, remarks and questions where possible.

Reactions: 2 users
for those who got in , if you don't mind could you share your stats - I plan on applying next year and would like to know what I am getting myself into .
- is it a hard program to get accepted into ?
- is there an interview process ?
- and do they focus heavily on gpa or all aspects of the application ?
* if you respond please respond with stats , answers to the question and the schools you were accepted or denied *

- thank you so much in advance , it'll be great help !!!

for those who got in , if you don't mind could you share your stats - I plan on applying next year and would like to know what I am getting myself into .
- is it a hard program to get accepted into ?
- is there an interview process ?
- and do they focus heavily on gpa or all aspects of the application ?
* if you respond please respond with stats , answers to the question and the schools you were accepted or denied *

- thank you so much in advance , it'll be great help !!!
There's a thread actually dedicated to this, https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gpas-gres-xtras-acceptances.597714/ . By going through this you should be able to find most of the information you are looking for!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an electronic interview scheduled with Spalding University. I have done face to face interviews before, but never an electronic one. Does anyone have any tips on what to expect?