Interview with ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmguy3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I currently have an interview coming up. The interview will apparently include an essay for which there will be a 30 minute time limit. I am a student who has been diagnosed with ADHD and when it comes to taking tests, writing essays and what-not, I am provided with accommodations that allow me to have extended time.

I am worried that I will have trouble concentrating during the essay and that I will end up running out of time before I am able to finish it. Basically, I am wondering if people here think I should inform my interviewers about my normal accommodations and whether or not I should request extended time for the essay? I know that discrimination on such a matter is normally not allowed, but I am still worried that my interviewers might look at it somewhat negatively (or as an unfair advantage) if I request extended time. What are your opinions?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Some interview letters list that if you have disabilities to contact the given number for special accommodations. So check with your confirmation documents for your interview or call admissions.

I would refrain letting the interviewers know about your ADHD condition to avoid any possible stigmatization.

I think the writing assessment of the interview will test you on how well you deal in a situation under time constraints. This will reflect how well you will take on other challenges when you work in the pharmacy and unfortunately, pharmacists are very rarely given extra time when they take on such problems.

I suggest you practice writing impromptu essays in 30 minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would refrain letting the interviewers know about your ADHD condition to avoid any possible stigmatization.

I think the writing assessment of the interview will test you on how well you deal in a situation under time constraints. This will reflect how well you will take on other challenges when you work in the pharmacy and unfortunately, pharmacists are very rarely given extra time when they take on such problems.

Well said! I would have to agree.

I agree with Jdario86 in that I wouldn't let them know that you have ADHD. These essay prompts are no where near as difficult as the PCAT essays are anyway so you'll have more than enough time to finish them.

I've written three 30-minute essays already and none of them were very difficult at all. If you already have answers to the typical interview questions (i.e. why pharmacy, why you, strengths/weaknesses, etc), you should be able to finish the essay and have enough time to correct your mistakes with plenty of time, ADHD or not.

G'luck!

agreed

I'm not sure how every school is, but the one I interviewed at and was accepted doesn't really care much about the essay. In fact, my interviewers didn't even look at it for 5 seconds. Also the questions are not difficult or meant to trick you, rather it was an ethical question. I was told by the P2 students after I was accepted that they basically read the first 1-2 sentences to make sure you are not psychotic and that you have the ability to form complete sentences.

After my essay I was feeling really low because I do not elaborate very well when writing. I'm direct, so my paper was more like a paragraph whereas the others interviewing with me managed to type out a novel. PS I have ADD and my boyfriend has ADHD so I know what you're going through. Just drink a little bit of caffeine and try to stay calm.

as far as i know, the essay part is just to see that you can spell and put together a sentence. Where i had to write, they stressed that they dont care what the answer is, because it was about politics and they realize that not everyone follows politics...they just want to see that you can write an essay...if you cant finish, i dont think it will kill you as long as what you have is good.

I see, thank you all for your input. This has really helped to relieve me a bit.

I have ADD ("primarily inattentive" as they call it.) I am easily distracted by blinking lights, snow flakes falling outside, daydreaming about being a pirate, etc, etc. That said, I got something like a 29.5/30 on the interview.

I'm the same way as the poster above. I did OK on my interview but not great.

I have ADD ("primarily inattentive" as they call it.) I am easily distracted by blinking lights, snow flakes falling outside, daydreaming about being a pirate, etc, etc. That said, I got something like a 29.5/30 on the interview.

I see, have you got any tips? Did you tell your interviewers about your ADD before the interview? I'm glad to hear you did so well.

I am distracted by loud and small noises, sudden movement, and bright lights. More of the same.

Last edited: