Interviewer Comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rendal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been lucky enough to have gone on some interviews already, for which I am extremely grateful. After the conversations with some of the interviewers I was told that I am "a strong" or "competitive" applicant from the interviewers themselves. I know that there is no definite way of knowing that I am accepted until December 1st, but do those kinds of comments serve as a kind of indication that the interview went well and that I have a high chance of being accepted, or is this something that they probably say to most people?

Sorry for all of the speculating, December 1st just can't come quickly enough and I can't help but replay the interviews over and over in my head lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They were probably just playing with you to get your hopes up.

Reactions: 4 users
I was told that I am "a strong" or "competitive" applicant from the interviewers themselves.

I know that there is no definite way of knowing that I am accepted until December 1st

My two cents: you wouldn't have an interview if the school didn't like what they saw on your application. And not every interviewer is going to be tough-as-nails, scrutinizing your every word, trying to find the most trivial reasons to reject you. Sometimes the object of the interview is just to get to know you, and they want you to do well. Telling you you're a weak applicant is not going to do much for your confidence, and that could prevent you from being comfortable and showing your true self at the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview, we were all told as a group that we were incredibly strong and competitive applicants to have made it this far, but of course, not everyone in the room was going to make it to that school. I think it is just something that they tell everyone they interview because they had to have had a reason to invite you in for an interview in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
I like to think they would not have said this to you, at the end of the interview, if they hadn't perceived it to go well. At the same time, I think most interviews go well - some just more so than others.

It's a common interview technique to offer some parting words of encouragement, but depending on the wording, it sounds like you did better than a simple, "thank you," or, "it was a pleasure to meet you." If it didn't sound canned, or if they said it with some particular enthusiasm, then it may mean something. If they mentioned a specific strength, even better.

Their body language, conversational style, enthusiasm, off-script questions, etc. before that were better indicators than their last words, IMHO. Good question, though.

Thank you all for your responses, they've been really helpful!

If it were me, I don't think I would read too much into it since there are other interviews and I won't worry myself and risk getting my hopes up.