Interviewers Asking About Other Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PursuingHappy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I respond to a question about where else I have applied/recieved interviews? Right now, I've just said I applied to schools close to home and named a few. Is this acceptable? I keep getting this question and just want to be prepared next time.

Members don't see this ad.

Just tell the truth.

EDIT: SDNers should also be able to articulate any school's good and bad points. You will have to assess these if you eventually are in the position of having to choose between school X and Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How else would you think to respond? Just be a normal human

Reactions: 1 users
How else would you think to respond? Just be a normal human
I respond truthfully but I think the question is off putting because maybe they are trying to assess whether or not I will actually come to their school.

I respond truthfully but I think the question is off putting because maybe they are trying to assess whether or not I will actually come to their school.

Why is it off putting for a school trying to assess whether or not you will 'actually' go to their school? Seems fairly relevant to their interests...

Reactions: 3 users
"I've applied to about x schools; you know applicants have to cast a fairly wide net. I've mostly applied to schools close to home including a and b. [Alternately, you could say, "I've mostly applied close to home and thus far I've interviewed at a and b."] The reason I'm most excited about [name of school where you are interviewing] is ...."

Reactions: 7 users
Why is it off putting for a school trying to assess whether or not you will 'actually' go to their school? Seems fairly relevant to their interests...
Because it makes me wonder if I mention another place, then they may think I will choose the other and take that into consideration when making their decision on whether to accept me or not. I'm probably just overthinking. I just don't want to jeopardize my chances at a school I really like in any way.

Reactions: 1 user
Because it makes me wonder if I mention another place, then they may think I will choose the other and take that into consideration when making their decision on whether to accept me or not. I'm probably just overthinking. I just don't want to jeopardize my chances at a school I really like in any way.

Where you've applied doesn't really matter -- it is where you have an offer that counts. So, until Oct 15th you can honestly say that you don't have any offers.... and then say what you really like about the school that is interviewing you at the moment. Or you can say "I've interviewed at x and y but I'm really impressed by [school name] and I could see myself being very happy here if I'm fortunate enough to receive an offer." The point is to answer the question but to also mention that you like what you see at the school that it interviewing you and that you'd be honored to be offered admission.

Reactions: 5 users
This admittedly off-putting behavior is likely to become more common now that there are no traffic rules...

Reactions: 5 users
Currently interviewing this cycle. So far, only 1 person Asked me where else I was interviewing. . Told the truth and moved on. I think it was unprofessional and killed my vibe about the school, but I do see the point of them asking the question.

Where you've applied doesn't really matter -- it is where you have an offer that counts. So, until Oct 15th you can honestly say that you don't have any offers.... and then say what you really like about the school that is interviewing you at the moment. Or you can say "I've interviewed at x and y but I'm really impressed by [school name] and I could see myself being very happy here if I'm fortunate enough to receive an offer." The point is to answer the question but to also mention that you like what you see at the school that it interviewing you and that you'd be honored to be offered admission.

This is basically what I did. I’m in a special postbacc/smp through USUHS where they vast majority of students go to USUHS. They asked me about where students go, so I was honest but told them that we are encouraged to apply to schools we are interested in, and that I wouldn’t have applied or come to an interview if I wasn’t seriously interested in the school and then gave a couple reasons why.

I've been asked "how many interviews have you had so far" and then was asked "have you already interviewed at [highest ranked school in the state]" at one of my state schools. I have also been asked "is this your first interview" at almost every interview I have had. These questions have seemed fairly common in my experience and while I've answered honestly, they are so direct that they don't leave much room for me elaborating on why I specifically am interested in the school I'm interviewing at

Reactions: 1 user
I've been asked "how many interviews have you had so far" and then was asked "have you already interviewed at [highest ranked school in the state]" at one of my state schools. I have also been asked "is this your first interview" at almost every interview I have had. These questions have seemed fairly common in my experience and while I've answered honestly, they are so direct that they don't leave much room for me elaborating on why I specifically am interested in the school I'm interviewing at
+1, it has been a common theme at most schools

Well this is good to know. I will take these suggestions and stop overthinking it lol

For the most part I just answered honestly. I've attended 4 interviews so far and was asked this or similar questions at every school xP

I tell them what I valued when making my list (quality of life, style of curriculum, research, recommendations from current or former students) and then list a few schools in the mid-range for my stats or of similar ranking to their school. I want to communicate that I thought hard about the decision of what schools to apply to. I didn't just look at US News ranking list. If it flows naturally from the conversation, I also throw in how the school I am interviewing at seems to fit into what I valued when making my list.