Interviewers......Conservative or Liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jet915

Shi*ter's Rule
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something I was just wondering about. Are most of the interviewers generally conservative or liberal? From my experience volunteering and working in a lab, it seems that the PhD's are more liberal (maybe cause they get NIH government funds?) while M.D.'s who do private practice are conservative (cause they pay alot of taxes?). I know it's not true in every case but from my experience, that's the general trend. I was just wondering cause I know for my interviews, I will just be honest but Im just wondering if my viewpoints are gonna be in the minority or not. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this or experiences at interviews.

Jetson

Members don't see this ad.

the conventional wisdom that i've heard is that most interviewers are conservative. but that's not necessarily to say that they are conservative politically.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
the conventional wisdom that i've heard is that most interviewers are conservative. but that's not necessarily to say that they are conservative politically.

I think this is a misinterpretation. Most people say act and dress "conservatively" at interview, but I don't think this has anything to do with the views of the interviewer or school. Rather, it is just better to be safe.

There is actually a higher proportion of liberals in education than conservatives. I couldn't say that this would definitely apply to medical education, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
the reason i said that is because i've been told be conservative in personal statements as well. like don't try too much humor to stay away from sounding flippant.

i don't deny that advice for applicants to be conservative isn't necessarily saying that the audience isn't conservative, but it's sort of like, you never hear anyone tell people to write or dress liberally :laugh:

maybe what's really being said is that it's much worse to be too liberal than to be too conservative, so err on the side of caution. hmmm that's just what you said isn't it. :laugh: oh well.

reminds me of when i went shopping for my suit. i told them i wanted a conservative look and the people there were like giving me funeral clothing! i was like sorry, i don't want to be THAT conservative. as long as i don't go in there with a red suit, top hat, and a cane...

One of my interviewers seemed pretty liberal. He had some nice (and accurate) criticisms of our president. You might get a feel for your interviewer's stance on certain issues, or you may not. To be safe, don't let your ultraright/left nonsense come out in the interview.

is the key word "ultra" or "nonsense"? :)
if you have extreme views but you're right and can argue it convincingly... i wonder how that would be viewed.

of if you're sorta wishy-washy about everything but don't have any real reasons why... which would be better?

better question: who cares :laugh:

PEE
AYE
DEE
FOE
LIFE.