Interviewers reaching out post-interview, pre-decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spirospero363

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received an email from my interviewer (admissions staff) at one of my state schools (NY) several weeks post interview, last week, personally inviting me to a talk that the school was putting on, because it relates to a topic we talked about in my interview. I was really excited to hear from him just generally but also wondered if it was okay to look at it as a good sign or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I received an email from my interviewer (admissions staff) at one of my state schools (NY) several weeks post interview, last week, personally inviting me to a talk that the school was putting on, because it relates to a topic we talked about in my interview. I was really excited to hear from him just generally but also wondered if it was okay to look at it as a good sign or not.
I'm no adcom, so please take this with a huge grain of salt, but, if it were me, I'd take it as a huge good sign, if of nothing else, then at least of the fact that he remembered you and thought enough of you to pass the invitation along. I wouldn't get too excited, because the interview is just one element of your application. That said, it's much better to have a good interview report than a bad one, and this is definitely a sign that you received at least one very good report.

With all due respect to the esteemed @Goro, polite is acknowledging a thank you note. Coming across an invitation to a talk related to a topic discussed in an interview weeks before, remembering the conversation, and forwarding the invitation to the candidate (who has not yet even been accepted) goes way above and beyond polite. At least it does to me! YMMV. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no adcom, so please take this with a huge grain of salt, but, if it were me, I'd take it as a huge good sign, if of nothing else, then at least of the fact that he remembered you and thought enough of you to pass the invitation along. I wouldn't get too excited, because the interview is just one element of your application. That said, it's much better to have a good interview report than a bad one, and this is definitely a sign that you received at least one very good report.

With all due respect to the esteemed @Goro, polite is acknowledging a thank you note. Coming across an invitation to a talk related to a topic discussed in an interview weeks before, remembering the conversation, and forwarding the invitation to the candidate (who has not yet even been accepted) goes way above and beyond polite. At least it does to me! YMMV. :cool:
Important to remember here that the interviewer only has so much say in your final decision. There will be an executive committee that votes on you that may or may not take the recommendation of the interviewer. At my school, the interview is the component of the final score you get. And then at committee, they vote on you. The tale as old as time is the medical student who has an interviewer who is blown away, hints that they'll get in, and then gets waitlisted. So I definitely wouldn't take it as a "huge good sign". Obviously you had some impact on the interviewer, but there are more steps to gaining acceptances than that.

Reactions: 2 users