Interviewing for residency and retail jobs...

Started by g40631
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

g40631

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm graduating soon and I've just finished my interviews at several residency sites. However, I realize that residency competition is as fierce as it's ever been. I'm nervous about not matching and then falling behind on finding a job after I graduate. Is it inappropriate to send my resume/CV, or contact recruiting people, for available positions in retail in my area? Pharmacy is a small world.....of the residency selection committee caught wind of that, would they be less likely to rank my higher because of that?

Thanks/
 
Sorry to hijack thread but I have an additional question:

What if you signed on to a retail job? Would residency people not look at you favorably if they found out you already have an offer (though are ready to ditch it if you match)?
 
So I'm graduating soon and I've just finished my interviews at several residency sites. However, I realize that residency competition is as fierce as it's ever been. I'm nervous about not matching and then falling behind on finding a job after I graduate. Is it inappropriate to send my resume/CV, or contact recruiting people, for available positions in retail in my area? Pharmacy is a small world.....of the residency selection committee caught wind of that, would they be less likely to rank my higher because of that?

Thanks/

I think you'd be intelligent to have a backup plan in case you don't match. However, the match is a binding contract, so I dont believe places would rank you lower for fear of you matching with them and running off to retail anyways. If anything, pursue other offers and just dont mention them in residency interviews if you're concerned. I agree that pharm is a small world, but honestly, what are the odds that a district hiring person for CVS happens to be talking to a residency director and happens to bring up your name? Not likely.

Sorry to hijack thread but I have an additional question:

What if you signed on to a retail job? Would residency people not look at you favorably if they found out you already have an offer (though are ready to ditch it if you match)?

I have a retail offer as a backup and I have brought it up in small talk in some of my interviews. People understand that you are about to graduate with tons of loans and in my experience, have all thought it commendable to not have all of my eggs in the proverbial residency basket.

Keep in mind, we're essentially looking for jobs here, not courting future spouses. Monogamy is not expected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad