Interviewing Frustration...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drumming207

Sucka Foo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I just had an interview on Friday at my state school. My first interview during the day went amazing. The second interview was not so amazing--the guy interviewing me was the biggest a-hole I have ever met. I have heard people say that interviewed before, "I hope you don't get Dr. S, he'll rip you a new one." Guess what-- I got him. There is nothing wrong with my application (according to the 1st interviewer he said it was "stellar") and he made me feel as if there was. He questioned the schools I applied and insisted on pulling out an issue of JAMA to show me what schools I should have applied to. During the interview he also picked up the phone three times--how rude is that? I know I am not alone in saying that this Dr. is the biggest a-hole I have ever met--I just didn't know what everyone was saying was SO true. Has anyone else had an interview with a Dr. that was such a jerk you wonder how this compassionate individual became a physician? Anyway, I am amazed that the admissions board at some schools choose the physicians they do... :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at one of the prestigious U's for a surgery position, my interviewer asked if I had any questions. One of my questions was, "I see that your absite scores are (far) below national averages. I was wondering what you attributed that to, and what changes you might be considering to improve the didactics?"

This guy turned all red in the face and sputtered, "I'll tell you what it's due to....the residents are lazy! They're not willing to study!" Of course, after meeting the exhausted, overworked residents, I knew better.

Just the kind of guy you want for a boss, eh? Well, that program failed to fill that year and had to scramble.

I wonder if that guy's still interviewing people?

as you probably know, some interviews are meant to stress you. at one interview, the guy kept looking away, glancing at me with looks that expressed something like "do you really believe that BS you're spewing out right now?", check his pager, and gave me really tough follow up questions.

then later he told me it was just a test. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
First minute:
When I get to the interview, I give the guy the sealed envelope given to me by admissions that had 2 copies of my AMCAS application (one for him, one for the 2nd interviewer). Right off the bat, he accuses me of opening the envelope. I kinda laughed it off, and then he pursued the subject a little more. I was pretty offended, and I was like "Hey, I didn't open the envelope" in like a half-yelling voice.

Next:
He opens the envelope and starts to look through my grades, saying literally -- "Looks like you suck at organic chemistry, you suck at cell biology, you suck at computer programming, you suck at calculus...".
So here I cut him off mid-sentence, and I say "hey, my grades in those classes do suck, but that doesn't mean that I suck in those subjects. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I know that material better than most applicants. I did well on the MCATs and I didn't even study that hard. (this was a bit much, although true) If you want to talk about why I did bad in thats fine, but don't just start saying that I "suck".

These were within the first 3 minutes of the interview, when he also told me that this was one of his "worst days in years, and now you are part of it"

Later on in the interview:
"Why are you wearing a suit? You look like a freaking banker. If the goal of the interview is for me to know you as best as I can, shouldn't you wear what you wear on any other day...you don't see me wearing a suit"

he also randomly asked me how many quarts are in a gallon, how many feet in a mile, and the definition of a few words that were not part of our discussion:
him - so what did you like about Johns Hopkins?
me - well, I really enjoyed being able to...
him (interrupting me mid-sentence) - do you know what the word "misanthrope"means?

The weird thing was that I actually kinda liked the interview. Towards the end he got less belligerent, and because he was such an ass at the beginning, it really opened me up and I was way less nervous, because I was thinking "I can say whatever comes into my mind, and I will not **** up this interview more than he did".

brownman-
that's kind of crazy.. but, yeah- they're looking to see how you deal with pressure and stress- sounds like you kind of threw him off... i don't think he was expecting someone to get in his face. that's rad-

p

Originally posted by brownman24
First minute:
When I get to the interview, I give the guy the sealed envelope given to me by admissions that had 2 copies of my AMCAS application (one for him, one for the 2nd interviewer). Right off the bat, he accuses me of opening the envelope. I kinda laughed it off, and then he pursued the subject a little more. I was pretty offended, and I was like "Hey, I didn't open the envelope" in like a half-yelling voice.

Next:
He opens the envelope and starts to look through my grades, saying literally -- "Looks like you suck at organic chemistry, you suck at cell biology, you suck at computer programming, you suck at calculus...".
So here I cut him off mid-sentence, and I say "hey, my grades in those classes do suck, but that doesn't mean that I suck in those subjects. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I know that material better than most applicants. I did well on the MCATs and I didn't even study that hard. (this was a bit much, although true) If you want to talk about why I did bad in thats fine, but don't just start saying that I "suck".

Later on in the interview:
"Why are you wearing a suit? You look like a freaking banker. If the goal of the interview is for me to know you as best as I can, shouldn't you wear what you wear on any other day...you don't see me wearing a suit"

Whoah, that is too funny, at least u stood up for yourself:laugh:

brownman-- you get top honors for the best interview story ( i thought mine was bad)! that guy sounds like a real piece of work...:D

Looks like they need to have interviewers apply and be screened... Seriously, where do they find these people?