Interviewing late at schools that are not rolling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it makes a difference if you schedule a late date (e.g., mid Feb when a mid Jan is available) for a school that is not rolling (Duke). Any comments would be appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, and in fact there may be a slight advantage if you do really well on your interview - your interviewers would probably remember you more vividly and be more earnest on your behalf. But that's just speculation. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to schedule later interviews.

I had heard that USC was non-rolling. That they don't accept anyone until everyone was interviewed. So, when I got the invite, I was gonna schedule it after my harried couple months of interviewing, but then decided to just get it over with. And BOY am I glad I did! Turns out those suckers do send out acceptances before everyone's been interviewed. And I'm sure as he!l glad I got me one of those s'dang early. I'd say, if you can, do it earlier. (And for some reason as I'm typing this I'm speaking in a western accent. hmmmm.) If you're waiting so you can save money and clump some together (and you've already got the other requests!) then wait. But it's so nice just to get it over with and worry no more. Well, worry, yes. But get the part out of the way where you either shine or make a dumb ars out of yourself ;) just my 2&cent

Members don't see this ad :)
pocwana --

You were accepted to a school in California not Texas!
;)

How can I find out if a school has rolling admissions or not?

well, one thing you could do is check the respective school in question's website. harvard explicitly says it somewhere on their's. also, you could do what i just did, but apparently didn't before (silly me) and look in the msar. in that little box packed with information, one of the items is:
Acceptance notice to regular applicants
Earliest date:
Latest date:

It seems like the non-rolling ones have a much later earliest date than most schools. i.e. most i've seen are October 15 or so. Duke is Feb 28. Something odd, though. Harvard's earliest and latest dates are both Feb 28. So do they then presume to know exactly the number of acceptances it will take to fill the class? I mean, not a lot of people are going to turn down Hahvard, but there are a few insane(ly intelligent) ones that do, Like Jessica on SD/\/ from last app cycle. Dude, she rocked!

So, how do Texans do a snooty accent, like pronounce Hahvard. hmmmm, something to think about...