Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Calm down, calm down, I haven't actually gotten any yet. Didn't mean to frighten anyone. But I figured it was time to get this thread ready to roll! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

*stops having heart attack*

it takes a while to get the ball rolling for most people....erm, longer for others. last year i didn't get my first view invite for a while

Let's get ready to rumble!!! (Hopefully not with crushing disappointment)

I submitted my ERAS (minus any LOR's) this morning, and tracking my application has become my new obsession. I shudder to think how many times I will log into the system before it's all over...

Members don't see this ad :)
Havarti666 said:
Let's get ready to rumble!!! (Hopefully not with crushing disappointment)

I submitted my ERAS (minus any LOR's) this morning, and tracking my application has become my new obsession. I shudder to think how many times I will log into the system before it's all over...

Yeah, I gotta proofread my application and personal statemnt. considerind i'm kinda buzzed right now, tonight may not be the best time to do so. maybe toomrrow or the day after would be good for me to submit my ERAS.

Hopefully I'll have the pleasure of running into some or all of you during interviews.

Cheers!

By this time last year I already had 6 interviews, a stripper had shown up at my door saying she was a "member of the committee here to interview" me, and I had received 3 cash bribes in the mail. You guys must be inferior candidates or something.

laughing-smiley-018.gif
laughing-smiley-012.gif

Great...tell us more about how we suck. :)

Don't you realize...most of us just aren't as smart as you.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm jealous! Heading off to NYC tomorrow--orientation starts on Sept. 8 :scared:

*sigh* only 80 weeks of clinical medicine to go!!

Brian Pavlovitz said:
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm jealous! Heading off to NYC tomorrow--orientation starts on Sept. 8 :scared:

*sigh* only 80 weeks of clinical medicine to go!!

80 weeks!?! Ugh!

You'll make it...just follow your dreams, you can reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!

Here's an update:

# Applications = 29

# Interviews = 0

Keep 'em comin'!

# applications = 11 (more to come)
# of downloads = 4 (OSU, JHU, UChicago, UPenn)

What is pi$$ing me off is that for whatever reason, my LORs which the Canadian centralized Dean's Office told me they received back in August are still not available on ERAS.

Sent my ERAS out this AM. Just got tired of looking at the damn thing! Good luck to everyone.

Applications-27
Interviews-goose egg

Don't expect to start hearing much until mid september to mid october. That is when most of them come in.

And for all you dying to go to UCSF, UCLA or UCSD don't sweat as they seemed to take the longest of all (mid October).

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez...I'm so sick and tired of looking at my application while sitting on my thumb and spinning around.

OK...during the 30 minute fixation step I just started, I'm going to polish up and finalize my personal statement. Then I'm gonna quickly proofread my overall application later tonight...then I'm just gonna submit the thing tonight! I gotta get this thing out! ARGH!

Finally sent out my apps today

# apps = 20
# interviews = zero

Having checked out the ADTS for the first time, I can see how people would repeatedly use any breaks during the day to check on the status of the application. ADTS is gonna be more addictive than SDN :eek:

^But remember that the person downloading them is a secretary who will just organize and file it and your app made not actually be evaluated for interview until days to weeks later.

Most of the time though, you hear back, via email, shortly thereafter asking you to schedule. It is an exciting time.

Do your best to schedule them efficiently in terms of time and money. I don't believe it matters whether you schedule in October or January. Do what works best with you. Don't sit on invites, but don't schedule it for the first available appoinment either. Figure out your schedule ahead of time. (i.e. "I will go to Boston Nov 17-20, NY Nov 23-28, Midwest Dec 1-10, West Coast Jan 3-15") and then schedule your interviews based on your schedule. It is a pretty cool way to get to visit a lot of cities. Hopefully you have friends that can put you up to minimize expense.

You don't need to rent a car in Boston, NY or Chicago (except maybe for Univ of Chicago as it is not directly on a rail line), or UCSF. Pretty much all the other places I went to required some type of vehicle whether it be taxi, shuttle or car rental.

I love Boston, NY and Chicago for their great transportation. If only the subway serviced Laguardia and JFK, NY would be perfect.

Have fun. I almost wish I could do it again.

Thanks for the advice governaitor.

I think scheduling interviews at what you think are your top choice places later in the interview tour is good too for 2 reasons:
1. Their impression of you is more fresh when they make their rank list (assuming you made a GOOD impression)
2. You have already had some interview practice at your safe schools where you think you may be a shoe-in.

Does this make sense? Or am I reading way too much into things?

No, it does make sense. I was a much much better "interviewee" at my 15th interview than I was at my first. However, the programs I interviewed at first, Northwestern, univ of chi, MGH and BWH, all made contact and mildly "recruited" me after the interviews. While my last two, UCSD and Cedars- Sinai, never showed a lick of interest after the interview. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Don't over "stragetize" it. Some of the programs I thought I might rank #1 ended up not being ranked at all while others I just applied to as they were excellent programs that were "on the trail" ended up being some of the ones I liked the most.

If you see a program in October and end up loving it the most, make sure you drop them a typed letter or two expressing your interest in their program in December or January. They won't forget you if you do that.

Good Luck.

governaitor said:
Don't over "stragetize" it. Some of the programs I thought I might rank #1 ended up not being ranked at all while others I just applied to as they were excellent programs that were "on the trail" ended up being some of the ones I liked the most.

I resorted to strategery when applying to med schools...I ended up at my 2nd choice school (Michigan) but in terms of other schools, excessive strategery might have backfired. If the "happy-go-lucky or take it as it comes" mentality is on the left and the strategerizational mentality is on the right, I'm gonna sit right in the middle during this application cycle.

governaitor said:
If you see a program in October and end up loving it the most, make sure you drop them a typed letter or two expressing your interest in their program in December or January. They won't forget you if you do that.

Good Luck.

Will do. Thanks! Just out of curiosity...where are you doing your residency at?

10 programs applied to...
I realistically only will go to 6 interviews, I just applied to more because it is FREE...can't miss out on a free experience! hehe

12 programs on the list.

Now the waiting begins... :rolleyes:

I got my first interview!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, I really didn't expect one so soon! It's Vermont, by snail mail! :eek:

# applications = 29
# interviews = 1

Keep 'em comin'! :D

anyone know if they wait for the entire app to be complete? I still have my LORs and my dean's letter to get there...

stormjen said:
I got my first interview!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, I really didn't expect one so soon! It's Vermont, by snail mail! :eek:

# applications = 29
# interviews = 1

Keep 'em comin'! :D

Stormjen wins the prize. Yeah I got VT early last year too - it's a nice place, they hook you up well with a nice hotel room, provide transportation to and from the med center, and give you coupons for dinner at the hotel.

Smellycat - some programs wait for everything, but most do not. I think they all have their own little idiosyncracies which vary from place to place. Some only care that you have submitted and they glance at your board score and whatever else is submitted, and examine the rest later after you have interviewed.

Wow this thread has really started a fire under my ass...gotta get my eras done and i am still deciding which GQ picture to use...Planning to apply to about 20 programs or so. What do you think...too few, too many? Can't wait for interview season...

Interview season is now!

20 is a very reasonable number, as long as you have a good mix of competitive and non-competitive programs.

I have a question...I know that one of the most important parts of your application is showing commitment and knowledge (in general) to the field of pathology. These things will be addressed in my ps and lor's but where on eras can I put experiences from pathology electives? I was thinking about putting them under "other awards/accomplishments" but I am not sure if this would be inappropriate...any thoughts?

Congrats Stormjen on getting that first interview! Hopefully there will be more to follow soon :)

joedogma said:
I have a question...I know that one of the most important parts of your application is showing commitment and knowledge (in general) to the field of pathology. These things will be addressed in my ps and lor's but where on eras can I put experiences from pathology electives? I was thinking about putting them under "other awards/accomplishments" but I am not sure if this would be inappropriate...any thoughts?

Don't put anything that isn't an award or an accomplishment under that section. Did you do any presentations during the elective? You can put those under the presentations/publications section. Unless you got an award for being "outstanding M4 on pathology rotation this month" which would be a strange and quite possibly, very suspect award. And taking a path elective isn't really an accomplishment.

You're probably (actually, you'd be pretty safe saying definitely) not going to be selected/rejected for an interview based on what extra info you would put there. It will be on your transcript if you have finished these electives by now, and I presume you mentioned them in your PS and LORs were obtained from path electives. Thus, save stuff like that for the interview when you can talk about your experiences and how important they are to you.

deschutes said:
Woohoo stormjen!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Life gets more interesting by the day :)

deschutes, you should be starting to get some interviews now right? from what i can tell, you and stormjen applied at around the same time.

I didn't apply to Vermont :) And won't be applying either - no visa.

First wave of the attack included some bigger fish:

UChicago
UIowa
JHU
MGH
UFlorida, Gainesville
Northwestern Chicago
UMinnesota
Cornell
OSU
UPenn
MUSC

Northwestern OSU Cornell have collected in full, sans MSPE and photo. Damn that photo. I should go get it taken.
JHU Iowa Chicago Minnesota and Penn have partially collected.

I'll be sending out the second wave once Teams is over and I've had a think.

deschutes said:
I didn't apply to Vermont :) And won't be applying either - no visa.

First wave of the attack included some bigger fish:

UChicago
UIowa
JHU
MGH
UFlorida, Gainesville
Northwestern Chicago
UMinnesota
Cornell
OSU
UPenn
MUSC

Northwestern OSU Cornell have collected in full, sans MSPE and photo. Damn that photo. I should go get it taken.
JHU Iowa Chicago Minnesota and Penn have partially collected.

I'll be sending out the second wave once Teams is over and I've had a think.

You're way ahead of me. I turned in my apps during labor day weekend so today was the first day programs could download my application. I was impressed with some of them as they have already gotten my application, USMLE transcript, and med school transcript. In any case, it's just sitting and waiting now...oh yeah, I gots to get some path letters.

I think that is the extent of my big fish. Oh, and UMich of course ;)

I thought a lot about Florida. Thought I might as well go home if I wanted that sort of climate. Plus that will probably be the longest flight, if I (get to) go. But Dr. Winters was SO incredibly helpful on the phone.

Letters? Don't you already have 5??

[addendum]Between the all of us, we have a total of ONE interview. And 33 posts! This is classic! :laugh: :laugh:

Yaah, can yaah make this thread a sticky?

Hey everybody...just stumbled onto this website and couldn't believe what I've been missing! It's SO nice to know what's going on with other applicants! I was feeling really lost and confused. Just sent out my ERAS thing Sunday sans LoRs. Congrats to everyone who's gotten invites already...can't wait to tune in next time :)

sandyworks said:
Hey everybody...just stumbled onto this website and couldn't believe what I've been missing! It's SO nice to know what's going on with other applicants! I was feeling really lost and confused. Just sent out my ERAS thing Sunday sans LoRs. Congrats to everyone who's gotten invites already...can't wait to tune in next time :)

Welcome sandyworks! I agree that it is nice to share experiences with fellow applicants/future colleagues.

Just an afterthought, does anyone have advice on how much harder couples matching makes this application process?

sandyworks said:
Just an afterthought, does anyone have advice on how much harder couples matching makes this application process?

It depends on what your significant other is going into. For instance, if he/she is trying to match into derm, then where you match will depend on where he/she matches (since derm is much more competitive than path). If both of you are applying to path, my gut feeling (and I might be wrong so please correct if I am) is that it won't be too bad.

stormjen said:
Yaah, can yaah make this thread a sticky?

I will stick it, sure. Don't want to pile up too many stickies though. I might take down the last year's interview threads since it is passe.

Welcome Sandyworks. Couples matching, well it depends. Is the other person doing path too? Occasionally I hear stories about couples matching both at the same program, but I think programs probably try to discourage that (since both will want the same vacations, etc).

Lots of people do couples matching though. People often look for places with a number of different hospitals so that their options/chances are increased. I don't think, in terms of path, that you will hurt yourself at all by doing couples matching, unless you limit your choices so much. You have to be somewhat flexible, would be my advice.

It was actually me who requested last year's interview thread stickied - at least till November. The reason is because I thought it would provide a timeline with regards to interviews that others might find helpful as well! But if it's just me who is using it this way, then by all means unsticky it.

deschutes said:
It was actually me who requested last year's interview thread stickied - at least till November. The reason is because I thought it would provide a timeline with regards to interviews that others might find helpful as well! But if it's just me who is using it this way, then by all means unsticky it.

I too appreciate the sense of timeline...but again, that whole thread WAS last year's thread and I don't know if programs will behave similarly this year. I'm OK either way if that thread remains a sticky or not.

I vote to keep it stickied.

Thankfully, the other half is going into FP, but that would really be something, two wannabee pathologists trying to match :laugh:
At my school, there are 8 (!!!) students applying to path now, an unprecedented record. I was actually going to ask whether my class here is weird or if this is a trend.
btw, not that I have that much of a say, being a newbie and all, but the interview thread from last year really helped me so far. Which reminds me, did rii get in somewhere really cool? I didn't have a chance to keep following the threads...

joedogma said:
Wow this thread has really started a fire under my ass...gotta get my eras done and i am still deciding which GQ picture to use...Planning to apply to about 20 programs or so. What do you think...too few, too many? Can't wait for interview season...

You can always decline/cancel interviews.

I submitted my ERAS :eek: 15 minutes ago. Still no interviews..

Here are my 20.
West Virginia University Program, Morgantown, WV
University of Virginia Program, Charlottesville, VA
University of Utah Program, Salt Lake City, UT
Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Program, Lubbock, TX
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program
University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville Program, Knoxville, TN
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center Program, Oklahoma City, OK
Duke University Program, Durham, NC
University of New Mexico Program, Albuquerque, NM
University of Nebraska Program, Omaha, NE
St Louis University School of Medicine Program, St Louis, MO
University of Missouri-Columbia Program, Columbia, MO
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program, St Louis, MO
Pathology - Combined AP/CP (Categorical)
Johns Hopkins University Program, Baltimore, MD
University of Kentucky Medical Center Program, Lexington, KY
University of Colorado Program, Denver, CO
Stanford University Program (AP/CP, AP only, CP only), Stanford, CA
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Program, Little Rock, AR
University of Arizona Program, Tucson, AZ
St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center Program, Phoenix, AZ

Any thoughts?

OK I'll follow the trend here...my list also consists of 20

Washington (Seattle)
UVA
Vanderbilt
UPenn
Cleveland Clinnic
Duke
UNC
Cornell
WashU-St.Louis
Mayo
Meeeeeeechigan!
BIDMC
Brigham
Mass General
JHU
U of Chicago
Emory
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA

And you guessed it! No interviews as of now.

Hi future fellow pathologists!

I'm in for 14--my list is pretty heavily weighted towards California.

UWashington
Brigham
JHU
UCIrvine
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
LAC/Harbor
USC
Loma Linda
Cedars-Sinai
UCDavis
and of course the home school UArizona

No interviews.

I got another interview! Dang! From Cleveland Clinic.

# applications: 29
# interviews: 2

For the record, I submitted my application within an hour of ERAS opening.

I got one from Cleveland clinic today too! To be honest, I don't know much about the place, other than my chiar said it is a good place! I get it confused with University Hospital/Case Western :p What can I say? I'm a southern boy. Can't keep up with all these places in yankeeville!