Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deschutes said:
sandyworks, I think it was you who said that people were getting invitations in January and even February?

Guess we'll see if this is true within our SDN sample...

:D Well, my crystal ball isn't working so well for 2005, but a PGY-1 in pathology told me he was still getting interviews in early February for the Match of 2004. I thought programs' lists were already due before then, but who knows. How's your interview season panning out so far, deschutes?

Members don't see this ad.

oh, one more thing...i just remembered a PGY-5 who went to Iowa for residency telling me that Iowa has had a real problem getting PAs. They had two 3-4 years ago, but then both quit separately and the program has been having difficulty filling those positions, leaving the residents to do all of the grossing.
This is totally hearsay, so take it for what it's worth; I swear, I'm not applying there, so I don't know anything personally about it and am not intending to poo poo all the great reviews that others have posted re: Iowa. I also don't know how much of a burden this truly is to current residents, but I imagine that if they had enough work to keep two busy, they probably needed them both. Just something to inquire about for future interviewees there.

Interview offer from U of Missouri 12/23

Members don't see this ad :)
stormjen said:
Interview offer from U of Missouri 12/23

Missouri Columbia or KC? I am curious because I applied to Columbia and they said they were still waiting to hear about funding.

Thanks

Sandyworks is right - Iowa is interviewing to fill at least one PA slot. I think the program is currently without PAs, and some of the residents did seem a bit overworked as a result.

Pookies said:
Missouri Columbia or KC? I am curious because I applied to Columbia and they said they were still waiting to hear about funding.

Thanks

Columbia - they called us yesterday, too. A bit late if you ask me.

sandyworks said:
a PGY-1 in pathology told me he was still getting interviews in early February for the Match of 2004. I thought programs' lists were already due before then, but who knows. How's your interview season panning out so far, deschutes?
February 23 is D-day for both programs' and applicants' certified ROLs to be entered. I find it interesting that they bolded and capped the word "CERTIFIED" on the website. I can already see myself waking up with a jump in the middle of the night for the entire week after Feb 23, wondering whether I actually pushed the "Certify Now" button...

My season is going well, I think - if it weren't for having to decide where I want to go (and stressing over whether they like me enough to take me!), I think I will miss having another chance to blow megabucks traipsing all over the States like this anytime soon!

For those keeping track, withdrew from UPenn last week. 'Nother spot for y'all. :D

P

Missouri Columbia by Phone Today. Yea, I like Missouri.
Next week will be Missouri Columbia, Wash U, and SLU.

Show me the Path

EvilNewbie said:
When does it become official that no more interviews will be forthcoming? I just received an email that I am still being considered if someone drops an interview from their program. Too bad I only have a very, very few number of days to interview in January as I am mostly booked for the month. If they offer me an interview that I can't fit in than I just have to cancel their invitation. Oh well...

Hey EvilNewbie and Deschutes,
Was it that school in Philly? So far they irk me. They do not have a phone number listed for the residency coordinator for questions either on their website or Freida and she doesn't respond back to e-mails. Also their PD doesn't seem to like answering questions from applicants.

Mrbojangles said:
Hey EvilNewbie and Deschutes,
Was it that school in Philly? So far they irk me. They do not have a phone number listed for the residency coordinator for questions either on their website or Freida and she doesn't respond back to e-mails. Also their PD doesn't seem to like answering questions from applicants.

The school was UPenn. Haven't heard anything from them as of now. Probably won't. :smuggrin:

skoller said:
Sandyworks is right - Iowa is interviewing to fill at least one PA slot. I think the program is currently without PAs, and some of the residents did seem a bit overworked as a result.

Here is the situation with grossing in Iowa.

Residents gross every third day and most are in the gross room until 6:30 or 7 at the latest. The residents do work hard, but they also get ample time to look at slides and dictate their cases. I would hardly consider them overworked.

The last PA left suddenly to live closer to her ailing father. The program is currently trying to hire 2 PAs, one of which will be responsible mainly for teaching. The other will be primarily responsible for administrative work.

trex92499 said:
I think I'm the final interview winner...12/7 UAB by email.....

1/28 interview offer Albert einstein Long island jewish med ctr... anyone later that this?

Members don't see this ad :)
That HAS to be the winner.

Congrats, dude. :thumbup:

No, ive already had plenty of interviews and I pretty much know where im going.

5 days to ROL deadline and I got this:

"Thank you for applying. We have completed our residency interviews and selection for the year."

They must think I'm stupidly eager.

deschutes said:
5 days to ROL deadline and I got this:

"Thank you for applying. We have completed our residency interviews and selection for the year."

They must think I'm stupidly eager.

i feel yah ....
last week i got a formal rejection from Univ of Illinois...

and of course i had already turned down the interview offer they sent me in October and sent THEM a "thanks but no thanks" email a MONTH ago!

SLUsagar said:
i feel yah ....
last week i got a formal rejection from Univ of Illinois...

and of course i had already turned down the interview offer they sent me in October and sent THEM a "thanks but no thanks" email a MONTH ago!

Maybe you should decline their rejection to get the last word in.

I did interview there but don't believe I'll be ranking it due to location.

stormjen said:
Maybe you should decline their rejection to get the last word in.

I did interview there but don't believe I'll be ranking it due to location.

naah....i'm alright. not offended or anything about the pseudo-rejection notification, i understand prob just some miscomm. or email mishap on their part...
thought that it was weird/odd that's all. :confused:

deschutes said:
5 days to ROL deadline.
Now it is 4 pm.

5 days and 5 hours left (or 125 hours until ROL deadline)!

1 hour before happy hour begins!

Priorities! Priorities! Priorities!

Unstuck but bumped, to assuage those who can't live without it and want to say their proper goodbyes. :rolleyes:

Interviews are a distant memory. A few thousand dollars poorer, we look ahead to the start of residency this summer.

I think people have said their farewells to this thread a while ago. Before today, nobody had posted in this thread for a month and a half...that should tell you something.

We could just convert this thread into something unrelated to anything else and then it would go on for awhile longer.

yaah said:
Stormjen seems to have disappeared!
well as you saw last year, some people don't come back after Match Day.

she will be missed.

yaah said:
Stormjen seems to have disappeared!

I have definitely noticed stormjen's absence and hope that she comes back soon.

I could start the "Interviews 2006 Match" thread! :laugh:

beary said:
I have definitely noticed stormjen's absence and hope that she comes back soon.

I could start the "Interviews 2006 Match" thread! :laugh:
You can't start one yet. You haven't even submitted your ERAS application yet! :laugh:

I propose that the 2006 Interview thread be started on the same day the 2005 thread was started (i.e., 9-01-05)

So it has been written. So let it be done.

*BONGGGGGGG*

Too lazy to name a new thread or dig up old ones, so here goes -

I was trawling path department/residency websites for reasons of my own, and just happened to see this on the UCSF website re: NRMP rules:

"It is not a violation for either an applicant or a program to express strong interest in a program or applicant. It is not even a violation for an applicant or program to tell how the program or applicant will be ranked. However, none of these expressions of interest on the part of either an applicant or a program can be considered a commitment to enter a program or to guarantee a position."

Consider yourself warned. And I don't mean UCSF, but in the most general of terms.

Wow, I've really missed this thread. ...sniff...

Good times!

Interviews seem soooo long ago.

Un-stickying thread but posting to bump it so people can get used to the idea of the thread gradually fading into the sunset. It's like taking off a bandaid. Do you want it gone quickly, ripped right off (i.e. just unstickied) or do you peel it off slowly (i.e. bump and unsticky).

I take bandaids off slowly.

deschutes said:
Does anyone, not? :eek:

There is a certain segment of the population who believes that a brief instant of pain (as in ripping a bandaid off as quickly as possible) is preferable. It is akin to the dilemma one faces when getting into cold water: Jump in, or slowly walk in.

yaah said:
There is a certain segment of the population who believes that a brief instant of pain (as in ripping a bandaid off as quickly as possible) is preferable. It is akin to the dilemma one faces when getting into cold water: Jump in, or slowly walk in.
But a sticking plaster tends to overlie newly-healed skin that ripping off said plaster could damage.