Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. I have one myself that I'm thinking of pawning off. I'll trade UCI, Cedars and Harbor for UCLA. Anybody? Anybody? :D

Members don't see this ad.

cytoborg said:
Thanks. I have one myself that I'm thinking of pawning off. I'll trade UCI, Cedars and Harbor for UCLA. Anybody? Anybody? :D

If only trading interview invites (or selling them!!) was possible...think of the possibilities. All these obnoxious gunners would apply to every program just so they could sell their interview to a poor "second tier" applicant.

Even worse, these greedy gunners would sell their 'views on Ebay.

Imagine, interview bid of $430. Damn! Might as well try to arrange for something outside the match if one was so determined on really going to a particular program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any experience with / know anything about

1) the Pathology Program at U. of Chicago or
2) the Anatomic Pathology Program at the NIH ??

I appreciate your input / opinion!

Thanks! :)

University of Florida - Gainesville by snail mail.

Sorry old chaps! Should've popped that sucker in outgoing mail about two months ago.

I hope they give my spot to someone who still wants it.

Interviews:

Iowa
Mayo
Univ Florida
Cleveland Clinic
BIDMC
Brigham
MGU
Hopkins
UVA
UNC
MUSC
Emory
Wash Univ

Declined:
Michigan
Northwestern
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Wake Forest
Pitt
Yale

Rejection:
UPENN

Path prospective..
All i can tell you about NIH is what I've heard. If you want to do research..only research then it might be a good program to look into. If you are at all interested in doing private...I wouldn't go there. They don't prepare you for that.

I'll trade Stanford for UCSF! Anybody? Anybody? Just kidding I didn't even apply to Stanford. I got rejected by UCSF by snail mail. A little disappointing but I'll get over it.

So I'm geussing right about now we shouldn't be expecting any more interviews ;). Just for kicks I called and left messages at Tufts, U Penn, and TJ asking if my application was still under review. I like a sense of closure despite the obvious.

hello! i've been directed to this forum rather late in the game, but i was wondering if anybody knows anything about Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach? i can't find anything beyond that standardized thing from the acgme. i haven't been able to find any program home pages - there's one for internal medicine and that's it. and, they said their interview lasts 2 days - what's up with that?

ok, that's my story - just wanted to get the scoop before i give a definitive answer...

and one more - (i'm completely out of the loop about everything) which programs are generally considered competitive?

thank you!

pez head said:
hello! i've been directed to this forum rather late in the game, but i was wondering if anybody knows anything about Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach? i can't find anything beyond that standardized thing from the acgme. i haven't been able to find any program home pages - there's one for internal medicine and that's it. and, they said their interview lasts 2 days - what's up with that?

ok, that's my story - just wanted to get the scoop before i give a definitive answer...

and one more - (i'm completely out of the loop about everything) which programs are generally considered competitive?

thank you!

I haven't heard anything about Mt. Sinai in Miami so unfortunately, I cannot be of much help there. As for your last question, it's hard to say. Path was never a uber-competitive field. However, in the past few years applications #'s have increased. I guess on the East coast, Brigham, MGH, Penn, Hopkins, Duke, NYC programs could be considered competitive. In the Midwest, I would lump in WashU, Michigan, and Chicago. On the West Coast, UCSF, UWash-Seattle, UCLA, and Stanford are likely to be competitive too. I'm coming up with these schools off the top of my mind so I'm sure I've missed other competitive programs.

thanks for the speedy reply - raaawk on (context: hair metal)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an e-mail interview invite from a school in Philly. A bit late isn't it?

I think some schools send out late interview invites just to see who is really serious about there program. Someone with only a passing interest who applied as a safety may have visited if it was an early invite.

Or, perhaps they are just slow. Or, they are sending out another round of invites. Either way, it isn't that late. There are still 2 1/2 months left of interview time at many places. I got my last interview invite last year in late november from Rush and I didn't go.

this is what i'm doing: i picked these places pretty randomly. most are places i reckon i could live or would consider vacationing and some are places i applied to randomly - got carried away with the box checking. i've decided to consider it all as a series of little vacations.

no love from:

UCLA
Georgetown
Duke
Oregon
U Washington
MGH

no word from:

UC San Diego
Stanford
National Capital Consortium (no clue what that place is about - a random selection)
U Hawaii
Wake Forest

fixin to go to:

UAMS
Penrose
U Colorado
Yale
Mt. Sinai Miami (i can't pass up 2 days in Miami Beach)
LSU NO (my mothership)
BIDM
Dartmouth
MUSC (done - Charleston is like New Orleans, but cleaner and less crime)
UTSW Dallas
UTMB Galveston
U Vermont (strong CP, very resident friendly, fixin to move into nice new building)
VCU

couldn't make it to:
UT Houston
Baylors

questions or your advice welcome!

Since we're selling interview spots, I'm willing to sell one interview at John's Hopkins - only slightly used (once about two weeks ago). $50 OBO.

Yeah, what's up with hawaii, I applied and haven't heard anything either. I just want to live on a tropical island for 4-5 years while I'm still young.

pez head said:
this is what i'm doing: i picked these places pretty randomly. most are places i reckon i could live or would consider vacationing and some are places i applied to randomly - got carried away with the box checking. i've decided to consider it all as a series of little vacations.

no love from:

UCLA
Georgetown
Duke
Oregon
U Washington
MGH

no word from:

UC San Diego
Stanford
National Capital Consortium (no clue what that place is about - a random selection)
U Hawaii
Wake Forest

QUOTE]

i think the national consortium is for military only.

oh well, too bad for me, being all civilian and what not. yeah - i don't know what's up with Hawaii

woah, tufts/nemc today! i was thinking that i might win the 'latest interview offer' award, but i'm sure someone will get one after today....

if anyone's looking for some amusing reading, check out the overly-detailed handshake and dining etiquette sections in iserson's residency book.

I applied late...my application just became complete at the end of November and I just got my Step 2 score, so I'm still getting interviews...so they are still handing them out.

Wash U by E-mail. :) :) :) :)

Baylor in dallas by email....hopefully I can coordinate it with my southwestern interview!

I got another e-mail invite from a Philly school. Now all of the sudden Philly is showing some love? Of course I haven't heard anything from the big one though. They're probably holding out on telling us based on how many of their scheduled interviews get cancelled :mad:. This is going to be really difficult unless I can schedule interviews in February.

Here are my interviews for 2005 path match in order of acquisition.
1.UT Southwestern (Sept)
2.UC San Diego (Sept)
3.UT San Antonio (Nov)
4.UT Houston (Nov)
5.Baylor Houston (Dec)
6.UC Irvine (Dec)
7.UT Medical Branch-Galveston (Jan)
8.Massachusetts General (Jan)

Cancelled NYU and George Washington
Didn't hear from UCSF

Good luck to everyone this interview season. :)

UPenn via email, 5 or 6 days ago.

UMDNJ Newark by phone, last friday 12/3

Yes - the prize will be an interview. :rolleyes: ;)

I am not sure how late they go...people obviously cancel interviews frequently, but I don't think that every cancellation means an extra interview.

butterky said:
UMDNJ Newark by phone, last friday 12/3

I think I heard from UMDNJ Newark about the same time you did. As a dual prize I want another interview ;).

Anyone schedule an interview with UMDNJ New Brunswick? They're asking their applicants to stay for two days. One day for the interview and the second day to see how well you interact with residents during conferences and daily work. Isn't that really unusual? This is getting out of hand. I think I will cancel them. I'm not looking forward to making up two more days when I'm on my neurology clerkship then.

I think I'm the final interview winner...12/7 UAB by email.....

Just withdrew from BW (1/6/05), so there may still be another interview coming. Who knows :D

When does it become official that no more interviews will be forthcoming? I just received an email that I am still being considered if someone drops an interview from their program. Too bad I only have a very, very few number of days to interview in January as I am mostly booked for the month. If they offer me an interview that I can't fit in than I just have to cancel their invitation. Oh well...

Knew it couldn't just have been me on this board receiving that email!

I don't know if there is even an official date for interview invitations to stop going out. February 22, maybe? :rolleyes:

I was actually rather pleased with that missive, stupidly enough. Considering where it was from, I had an "at least I don't suck!" moment.

Already attended
1. Yale (Nov)
2. Brigham (Nov.)
3. Emory (Dec)
4. UT SW-Med (Dec)
5. UT Houston (Dec)
6. Baylor, Dallas (Dec)
7. UTMB (Dec)

Still Have

8. Cleveland Clinic (Jan)
9. Mayo Clinic (Jan)
10. Beth Isreal Deaconess (Jan)
11. Mass Gen (Jan)
12 UT San Antnio (Feb)

I wanted to cancel 2 interviews, what do you recommend?
Thanks!
Z

ziadp,

There are arguments for and against each program on the list...so which 2 programs you should cancel depends on what your priorities are. For example, location/weather is one issue. Three of the places you mention are up north and are known for brutally cold and longer winters. If that's not your cup of tea, then maybe cancel two of those. Work environment is another issue. Some of the programs on the list have certain reputations in regards to work environments. So if that's an issue then have that figure in. If you don't have any aversion to work your tail off and possibly overworked, then this is not much of an issue for you. Next item up for bid...has to do with whether you want to focus on an academic vs. private practice career. Many applicants, at this point, cannot predict which track they will take regarding this issue. But if you do know for sure, there are places that are more academically oriented and some that are less so inclined to train academicians and perhaps that is one differentiating point for you.

Opinions on various programs have been posted on SDN...some based on rumor...some based on personal opinion and preconceptions (which may be misguided). I think the best way to make an informed decision whether to rank a program vs. not ranking is to visit the place. However, if financial/time issues do not allow you to visit all the programs you have yet to interview at, then you can use some of the above criteria (as well as any other personal criteria you may have) to come to the best decision for you.

Sure, I could tell you which places to cancel. But that is based on my ideas and my preconceptions, which can be faulty. Others may chime in as well but I have a feeling that we may tell you a bunch of different things making things even more confusing for you.

Anyways, if you need someone to bounch ideas off, feel free to PM me. I won't be posting much publicly but that doesn't mean that I'm not around :)

Hey Z: It's all up to you, but consider cancelling San Antonio. It's much smaller with very limited opportunities, though I know it's local to you.

You should check out San Antonio. Its just up I-10 from UTMB(Thats where I assume you are from). Its worth a look. Read the review by one of the current residents on Scutwork.

ziadp said:
8. Cleveland Clinic (Jan)
9. Mayo Clinic (Jan)
10. Beth Isreal Deaconess (Jan)
11. Mass Gen (Jan)
12 UT San Antnio (Feb)

I wanted to cancel 2 interviews, what do you recommend?
Thanks!
Z

Yeah, this is really an entirely personal decision, but I can understand you wanting others' input. I would cancel the MGH and UT-San Antonio ones, myself. That's because I don't want an insanely busy residency, and I don't want to live in Texas. Pretty simple.

Ha! Different strokes for different folks. I would cancel all except MGH. Maybe I would keep BIDMC, but only if I really wanted to live in Boston.

Final Interview List. .

University of Arizona
St Joe's - Phoenix
University of New Mexico
University of Colorado
UT - San Antonio
UT - Knoxville
University of Oklahoma
Wash U
SLU
Arkansas

Canceling UVA due to $$$.

Tufts-NEMC today. Does that constitute the last interview offer of the year? :D I'm guessing there are more trckling in, as ridiculous as it may sound, considering all of our schedules are probably packed as it is. :rolleyes:

I am canceling interviews at 3 programs, so here's hoping that those slots will go to good use. :luck:

sandyworks, I think it was you who said that people were getting invitations in January and even February?

Guess we'll see if this is true within our SDN sample...