Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EvilNewbie said:
I have received another rejection today and no invitations since the last invitation two days after the Dean's Letter. The count so far is 3 Rejections... hehehe... Haven't heard from several programs still. I think if they haven't offered you an interview already, it is more than likely going to be a rejection. Although some people have had success in getting interviews post-Dean Letter... I wonder what mine said, the office lets me look at them but I really didn't care what it said... maybe I should look.

I feel your pain.
I'm absolutely BONE DRY in terms of interview s/p Dean's letter availability...
and this is after 2 emails, and a phone call to programs [one of which said, Oh, you applied here?? We seem to have lost your application....] :smuggrin:
I still can't believe it - nearly 8 working days since Nov 1, and still nothing.

Question: How can PATH programs really believe that they will be able to get good applicants to come visit when they wait so long? Do program NOT understand that a decent path applicant probably will have already received a good # of invites already, and has a heavily booked schedule??
Is there some kind of unwritten rule that the better/bigger name programs start sending out invites earlier and the subpar, crappy places wait long after nov 1? Seriously, from reading the posts of places fellow path med students have received and looking at the DATES they got them, it seems as if the big name places offer earlier, and the sh*tty places later... trend? or not? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from ECU :) and Birmingham- Baptist last week. Still haven't heard from USA, Wake Forest, or Tampa. Has anyone heard from USA or Tampa? FYI-I think that American Airlines offers discounts for traveling to residency interviews, through the AAMC. Hope this helps someone, because they don't fly out of our little airport. Oh well- best wishes.

I have to agree that the interview offers have slowed down tremendously. I heard from Cedar Sinai last week but no others. I'm assuming the others are "no go" at this point (U W, Penrose, UCLA, Loma Linda).

I guess we'll have to see what comes from the first wave of interviews. Perhaps some programs will open up more slots. Frankly, I'm not sure if I'm willing to rearrange my schedule for a program that sits on my application. We'll see if I'm that pig-headed if/when an offer comes in.

Members don't see this ad :)
SLUsagar said:
I feel your pain.
I'm absolutely BONE DRY in terms of interview s/p Dean's letter availability...
and this is after 2 emails, and a phone call to programs [one of which said, Oh, you applied here?? We seem to have lost your application....] :smuggrin:
I still can't believe it - nearly 8 working days since Nov 1, and still nothing.

Question: How can PATH programs really believe that they will be able to get good applicants to come visit when they wait so long? Do program NOT understand that a decent path applicant probably will have already received a good # of invites already, and has a heavily booked schedule??
Is there some kind of unwritten rule that the better/bigger name programs start sending out invites earlier and the subpar, crappy places wait long after nov 1? Seriously, from reading the posts of places fellow path med students have received and looking at the DATES they got them, it seems as if the big name places offer earlier, and the sh*tty places later... trend? or not? :confused:

heh slusagar, good point you bring up. I dunno, i'm leanin' towards agreeing that most good programs do let you know earlier, and many (but obviously not all) progams let you know LATE. Also STRONGLY agree that the late programs must be stupid if they think that they're gonna nab quality applicants though. Whose gonna change their schedule to squeeze in an interview btw BIDMC and JHU to go visit Univ of _____ (or another low quality state school).

what do other people think???

How many people have gotten interviews/rejections from either one of the Baylors?

Thanks...

QuietSylph said:
How many people have gotten interviews/rejections from either one of the Baylors?

Thanks...

sylph:

baylor houston sent me snail mail like a month ago saying they'd let me know AFTER they got my deans letter...which they've had avail since last Monday, and i still haven't heard anything from them.

sorry, no help! +pad+

QuietSylph said:

Thanks...

Have not heard from Baylor Houston yet, and I got the same "need to wait on Dean's letter" letter like everyone else.

I was invited to interview at Baylor DALLAS, but the adminstrative assistant does not reply to my emails regarding interview dates. Instead I keep emailing her dates that become unavailable because I have received other interviews in the meantime.

Has anyone heard from Tulane?

Hang in there everybody :D

M

I spoke with someone at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston) yesterday. I was told that no interviews have gone out yet.

Cheers.

Tulane is a joke. From what I have heard by an inside source: they are basically done interviewing and they only interview their own or if you know someone. They then take everyone outside the Match - that is why they seem to never match anyone. I think they should just withdraw themselves from the whole match process.

UC-Davis by email.

U of maryland by phone...

Havarti666 said:
Baylor-Houston by email.

also received same baylor houston via email....

I also checked back on the 2003-2004 interview thread to see approx when baylor houston offered interviews last year...

couldn't believe it:

EXACTLY same day last year, Nov 11 (nearly same time too!). :eek:

i wonder if that's the norm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Hartford yet?

Hartford called me earlier this week :) Anybody hear from UMASS?

joedogma said:

I heard from UMASS a few days ago.

joedogma said:

Thanks so much, joe! In doing an away rotation, it never occurred to me to actually check my answering machine. :D

OK, so maybe I shouldn't even care about this given my present interview situation, but what the heck is up with Einstein and their "fake" interview invitations? I got an e-mail asking me for an interview back in the middle of October and despite numerous attempts to get through to their secretary to schedule a specific date, I have been unsuccessful. :mad: I even contacted their program director who seemed like a great guy, but was not able to shed any light on the situation. He simply apologized and said the secretary would get back to me soon. Here I am a month later w/ no response still. Do they honestly think they are that good to keep applicants hanging?

I am 2 days away from saying "buh bye" to them given my invites to places like MGH, UCLA, Penn, Yale, BIDMC, Cornell, and Columbia, but am not sure I want to ditch them yet. Any opinions or insight out there?

psammoma said:
OK, so maybe I shouldn't even care about this given my present interview situation, but what the heck is up with Einstein and their "fake" interview invitations? I got an e-mail asking me for an interview back in the middle of October and despite numerous attempts to get through to their secretary to schedule a specific date, I have been unsuccessful. :mad: I even contacted their program director who seemed like a great guy, but was not able to shed any light on the situation. He simply apologized and said the secretary would get back to me soon. Here I am a month later w/ no response still. Do they honestly think they are that good to keep applicants hanging?

I am 2 days away from saying "buh bye" to them given my invites to places like MGH, UCLA, Penn, Yale, BIDMC, Cornell, and Columbia, but am not sure I want to ditch them yet. Any opinions or insight out there?

Here's a vote for "buh bye." If the administrative staff of a residency program is seriously disorganized, clueless, misinformed, rude, etc., I consider that a major red flag. (Would they tolerate an applicant who did everything in a shoddy and piecemeal manner?) And as you said, you have some other interviews at great places, so unless you're dying to go to Einstein, I'd drop them. How else will they learn that this behavior drives away good applicants?

I echo Sylph's recommendations. Give them the big :thumbdown: . Unless you really wanted to go there. Given your other interviews, you're probably a very good candidate and will end up going somewhere you really like.

better late than never i suppose...

UNC by snail-o-mail.

:hardy:

University of South Florida (Tampa) today by e-mail.

SLUsagar said:
better late than never i suppose...

UNC by snail-o-mail.

:hardy:

From talking to the residents, I got the impression that UNC's interview schedule is pretty packed now. You better call them up ASAP :D

AndyMilonakis said:
From talking to the residents, I got the impression that UNC's interview schedule is pretty packed now. You better call them up ASAP :D

you're right!
I barely found a timeslot to visit :thumbup: ...i think they have only 1 freaking spot left during their Nov - Jan. interview season.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

South Alabama by phone....guess I'd better start checking my voice mail more than once a week.

Interviews :thumbup:
University of Arkansas
UT San Antonio
UT Knoxville
New Mexico
St Louis University
UVA
Oklahoma
University of Arizona
Phoenix
Colorado

Still Waiting :confused:
Utah
Wash U.
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Decline / Reject :thumbdown:
Oregon
Univeristy of Kentucky
University of Nebraska
Iowa
University of Washington
J. Hopkins
Duke
Michigan?

UC-Davis by email.

I also got the U. of Washington "we can't interview everybody" email a couple of days ago. In a curious way I was rather relieved, as now I don't have to figure out how to jam a trip to Seattle into my schedule.

That will about do it for me. I'm still waiting on Tulane, UCSD, UFL and Orlando, but they can all go take a flying leap at this point.

rejection from university of chicago today. rejection from u of wash monday.

i think the interview love has stopped flowing for me, though i still haven't heard from usc, tufts/nemc or bu. anyone heard from them?

vetiver said:
rejection from university of chicago today. rejection from u of wash monday.

i think the interview love has stopped flowing for me, though i still haven't heard from usc, tufts/nemc or bu. anyone heard from them?

I'm still waiting on tufts/nemc and bu, but i know someone that heard from bu early in october. anyone heard from jeff yet that isn't in medschool there? (just wonderin' if there's any chance for the rest of us, jeff ;) )

sandyworks said:
anyone heard from jeff yet that isn't in medschool there? (just wonderin' if there's any chance for the rest of us, jeff ;) )

I haven't been in the department in a while so I don't know the latest scoop. Last I heard there are only 2 spots and a lot of Jefferson people want them. I don't think they are going to interview many outside people. If you have a special interest I wouldn't be shy about calling. The PD is one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

Interviews :cool:
UVA
U of Maryland
George Washington
BIDMC
MCV/VCU

Still Waiting :luck:
JHU
Georgetown

hey, invite from USC by email! my rejection streak has ended! if anyone cares, they initially said they needed two LORs from pathologists to qualify for an interview, but i only have one.

The waiting is just about over. Monday I received the rejection from U Wash and today from Penrose. Despite those, I also received an invitation from Loma Linda today. It tough to see predict what programs are looking for in an applicant. Although I still haven't heard from UCLA I'm not too worried about it. I probably wouldn't go unless it falls within my other So.Cal dates.

Good-luck everyone!!!

Final tally:

Scheduled interviews
UCSF
Stanford
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
Cedar Sinai
Loma Linda
U Colorado
OHSU
U Nebraska (completed)
Creighton U (completed)

Rejections
U Wash
Penrose
UCLA????

Declined
Baylor
UT Houston

I'm headed out to Seattle tomorrow and will post a review on that. It seems like it;s going to be a bit of an ordeal as far as length is concerned (7:30am-5:30pm). Face crackage from too much forced smiling is definitely an issue here.
I guess I should be cancelling some of these, but I'd really like to see the cities and facilities before I make up my mind! I mean, is there really going to be time to see this much of the country again any time soon?

Interviews:
U Arizona
UCSF (completed)
U. Colorado
Hartford
BIDMC (completed)
Brigham
MGH
UNC
Duke
OHSU (completed)
U Penn
Brown
UVA
VCU
U Wash

Still waiting:
Boston U
Tufts/NEMC
Jeff
Temple

Declined:
U Chicago
Rush

sandyworks said:
I'm headed out to Seattle tomorrow and will post a review on that. It seems like it;s going to be a bit of an ordeal as far as length is concerned (7:30am-5:30pm). Face crackage from too much forced smiling is definitely an issue here.
I guess I should be cancelling some of these, but I'd really like to see the cities and facilities before I make up my mind! I mean, is there really going to be time to see this much of the country again any time soon?

Interviews:
U Arizona
UCSF (completed)
U. Colorado
Hartford
BIDMC (completed)
Brigham
MGH
UNC
Duke
OHSU (completed)
U Penn
Brown
UVA
VCU
U Wash

Still waiting:
Boston U
Tufts/NEMC
Jeff
Temple

Declined:
U Chicago
Rush

Congratulations Sandyworks! That's a nice list :)
Would you be willing to post a review on BIDMC -- its a program I haven't heard much about -- how did your day there go?

Interviews:
BW (AP/NP)

Waiting:
U-Penn (AP/NP)

Received and declined or canceled:
MGH
TWFCCF
CWRU
BIDMC

Sometimes you know what you want early, and that can save some effort. If it doesn't work out, I'll get some time in the lab.

P

cool primate...
i really enjoyed NP. Tough stuff but really interesting.
giving a talk on Alzheimer's tomorrow.

What's up with Tufts/NEMC? But from what I heard from a Tufts alumni their CP program isn't that strong because blood banking is actually run by medicine hematology. Not sure if they have changed that since.

I got that weird pre-interview invite from Albert Einstein. I got an e-mail from their PD but then when I called the PC she said my letters had to come in first. So when my letters were uploaded I acted like I had an interview when calling the PC and it was then scheduled.

My updated list:

Interviews completed:
SUNY Upstate
BU
Yale
UCSD
SUNY Stonybrook

Interviews to complete:
NYU
Cornell
AE Montefiore
UCLA
Columbia
Mount Sinai
U Maryland
George Washington

Interview to schedule:
UMDNJ New Brunswick (to tell you the truth I have no idea where that place is)

Cancelled:
Drexel

Waiting to hear from:
U Penn
Tufts/NEMC
UMDNJ Newark
Jefferson
Temple

Rejected:
UCSF (in the mail today)

Mrbojangles said:
What's up with Tufts/NEMC? But from what I heard from a Tufts alumni their CP program isn't that strong because blood banking is actually run by medicine hematology. Not sure if they have changed that since.

I got that weird pre-interview invite from Albert Einstein. I got an e-mail from their PD but then when I called the PC she said my letters had to come in first. So when my letters were uploaded I acted like I had an interview when calling the PC and it was then scheduled.

My updated list:

Interviews completed:
SUNY Upstate
BU
Yale
UCSD
SUNY Stonybrook

Interviews to complete:
NYU
Cornell
AE Montefiore
UCLA
Columbia
Mount Sinai
U Maryland
George Washington

Interview to schedule:
UMDNJ New Brunswick (to tell you the truth I have no idea where that place is)

Cancelled:
Drexel

Waiting to hear from:
U Penn
Tufts/NEMC
UMDNJ Newark
Jefferson
Temple

Rejected:
UCSF (in the mail today)

Mrbojangles --

What was your opinion of the program at Yale? How was your interview day?

Mr Bojangles could you give a brief summary of your UCSD interview? Thanks in advance.

At Yale we had breakfeast with the chair of pathology and laboratory medicine (AP and CP are different departments) for about half an hour at ~8:30am. The chairs did all of the talking and tried to talk a little about their respective departments and tried selling their program. Some key points were that the CP time is well protected. That they are on the smaller end in terms of basic science/translational/clinical research and sample volume of the big insitutions which they feel is a strength and makes them unique. And that they take alot of pride in churning out academic physicians. Then there was an hour long unknowns conference where the program director directed the scope and all the residents attended. All the residents made an attempt to introduce themselves to each of the applicants. Afterwards I had two half hour interviews with faculty from AP which were low pressure and then I had two half an hour interviews with faculty from CP which was in a different building. A nice secretary was available to bring me to the different faculty interviewers. Afterwards we had lunch with the residents and fellows and it was well attended where applicants asked questions. Then we had a tour of autopsy, grossing rooms, clin path labs, etc. We then had a wrap up interview with one of the faculty members you have met before but I didn't have a wrap up interview cause my bus left sometime around 2pm and we pretty much wrapped things up in the first interview. So my day ended around 1pm. Overall the atmosphere was pretty formal. Their AP is divided into specialty sign outs. So you do a month of GI, GYN, GYN Bx, Derm?, Neuro?, and General each year. Each specialty seems to be strong in terms of faculty positions.

At UCSD the day started around 8am. We were met by Dr Dreilinger who talked about UCSD and did a pretty thorough job of it. I almost felt like as though I had no questions after her talk. I had three half hour interviews at the UCSD Hillcrest Medical Center. I was scheduled for four but one was cancelled the last minute. We all had a chance to interview with the director of AP who tried selling the program. They were low pressure interviews. Afterwards we had a brief tour. We then had 11am to 1pm free to have lunch at the faculty dining hall at the La Jolla campus (where the undergrad, medical school, and VA were located). We took the shuttle which took about 15-20 minutes. At 1pm we started our 4 interviews with faculty at the VA Medical Center. All were again low key and nice. And then we finished around 4pm. This year they are only accepting 2 candidates. I believe they have 4 surg path fellowship positions as well as a neuropath fellowship position. They also have a position for AP/NP categorical as well.

Hi, thought I'd post for the first time with my interview list (in order of invite):

Cleveland Clinic
UPenn
George Washington
Ohio State
MCV/VCU
Wake Forest
Cincinatti
Virginia
Maryland
UNC
Jefferson
Penn State

Rejections: Duke (my alma mater)
Still waiting to hear: Hopkins, Emory Pittsburgh

PathProspect said:
Congratulations Sandyworks! That's a nice list :)
Would you be willing to post a review on BIDMC -- its a program I haven't heard much about -- how did your day there go?

Thanks, pathprospect! :)
I'll post a quickie on BIDMC under the Interview experiences thread.

UKentucky by email! *weeps*

~
Okay okay, I'll cut the melodrama :D I was convinced it was a rejection - all the email said was "Please see attachment".

The updated list reads:

UIowa
UMinnesota
MUSC
OSU
Wayne
Northwestern
UKY

That magic number 7 had better come through on me! Now if only I can graduate...

Congrats on Kentucky. I called in to drop UK lexington yesterday. I could not afford to travel there. They program looked nice and the people were very friendly when I contacted them. I wish I had more time/money.

Pookies said:
Congrats on Kentucky. I called in to drop UK lexington yesterday. I could not afford to travel there.
Thanks Pookies... and who knows, you might be my butterfly flapping away in Japan!

I`m going to be visiting 3 programs over the course of this O&G rotation. Seems to be a pretty drastic means of `hiding`.

Anyone planning on dropping their UCLA interview??

I want it!

cytoborg said:
Anyone planning on dropping their UCLA interview??

I want it!

You can have my UC-Irvine interview. :)

Hey, it's near UCLA...