Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deschutes said:
Looks like I should start thinking about how to match with only 2 interviews. Yaargh!

DESCHUTES!!! BAD GIRL! :mad: Listen to Yaah. It is way to early to be tallying (sp?) your interviews. I'm sure there are plenty of AMG's with only 2 interviews so far. If I were you I might consider contacting PD's, maybe with a nice letter, reminding them how great they are and, by the way, don't forget to look at my application. Maybe current residents could comment on whether this is a good idea or not.

Members don't see this ad.

jeff2005 said:
DESCHUTES!!! BAD GIRL! :mad: Listen to Yaah. It is way to early to be tallying (sp?) your interviews. I'm sure there are plenty of AMG's with only 2 interviews so far. If I were you I might consider contacting PD's, maybe with a nice letter, reminding them how great they are and, by the way, don't forget to look at my application. Maybe current residents could comment on whether this is a good idea or not.
All repeat after me. It is still too early to panic.

I am not sure when I will stop saying this, however. If you contact some programs now they may laugh at you, as the application deadline has not yet been reached.

Perhaps once Oct 15th comes around I will stop saying "it's too early." But I really have nothing to go by. That's just about the time last year I went on my first interview, so that's how I judge it. Programs are not going to kill you if you call up and ask the secretary when interviews will be offered, if your application is still being considered, etc. Just don't do it every week.

Panic? Who's panicking? I'm not panicking.

:p

jeff2005, I do listen and am listening. However I do get a touch of circumspection now and again - usually ill-timed, as now before my @#$%&* Internal final.

Ideally, this time next year I will be able to look back on these months, laugh and say I worried too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting for interviews . . . . .

610_img_10.jpg

Anyone else feel this way?

Pookies said:
Waiting for interviews . . . . .

Anyone else feel this way?

I feel more like deschutes' avatar, except rather than banging my head on the desk, I feel like stabbing myself in the chest or, alternatively, shooting myself in the head. Neither of which is probably very healthy.

Luckily, I've received another interview since my last panicked post, so I guess there still really is hope.

Hey, this little smilie dude seems to come pretty close to how I feel: :scared:

Perhaps I should clarify that I am studying for my upcoming Step 2 exam whilst stressing about interviews. Thus my state of mind is probably a bit worse than your typical applicant's.

I did a google search for "insane" and found this image:

117_fry-insane.gif

Yeah, that's about right.

just relax and have another cup of coffee.

This is the interview thread so lets see what places have contacted people. Here's mine:

U of Alabama
U of Utah
U of Iowa
Yale
MGH
Jefferson
SLU

I'm still waiting for UNC, DUKE, Wake Forest, UVA, MCV, MUSC, Brown, Dartmouth, Emory, UMASS, Oregon, Wash U, and all of California.

jeff2005 said:
This is the interview thread so lets see what places have contacted people. Here's mine:

U of Alabama
U of Utah
U of Iowa
Yale
MGH
Jefferson
SLU

I'm still waiting for UNC, DUKE, Wake Forest, UVA, MCV, MUSC, Brown, Dartmouth, Emory, UMASS, Oregon, Wash U, and all of California.

OK I'll follow suit here: I've heard from Brigham, JHU, WashU, Vanderbilt, Emory, Cleveland Clinic, UNC, BIDMC, Penn, and UChicago. Still waiting to hear from Duke, MGH, UCSF, Stanford among others.

BTW, UCLA has finally downloaded all my shizznit from ERAS.

jeff2005 said:

U of Alabama
U of Utah
U of Iowa
Yale
MGH
Jefferson
SLU

Hey Jeff -
Did you actually get invited to visit Jefferson? I got an e-mail from them telling me my app was received but no word since then.

Here is my list-

Interviews at-
Yale
Penn
JHU
UNC
EVMS

Just "received app" from Jefferson, UMDNJ; No word from Penn State, Duke, Univ Maryland, SUNY Stony Brook.

RNA said:
Hey Jeff -
Did you actually get invited to visit Jefferson?

Yes i got an invite, but I'm a student there and i think they are initially inviting all Jefferson students.

I've heard from the following programs:

University of CA - Irvine
Cleveland Clinic
University of Minnesota
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt
University of TN - Knoxville
University of North Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina

jeff2005 said:

U of Alabama
U of Utah
U of Iowa
Yale
MGH
Jefferson
SLU

good call Jeff2005, let's keep this the interviews thread.

received interviews from: Wash U, Vanderbilt, Emory, SLU, Cleveland Clinic, Stanford, Northwestern.
Still waiting on others. Received a "got your app" from Duke.

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
Panic? Who's panicking? I'm not panicking.

:p

Deschutes: Please don't keep banging head like this. I feel headache looking at you... :oops:

Don't be scared by their long lists. I am an IMG, so far 2 interviews. I bet PDs take care of AMGs before us. Let's wait and see...

interviews from: yale, nyu, cedars-sinai, columbia, bidmc, mgh, stanford, northwestern, tufts/baystate

'we received your crap" emails from: usc, cornell

nothing from: ucsf, ucla, oregon, u of wash, mount sinai, univ of chicago, brigham, boston univ.

i'm still waiting on a lor stickler. also am waiting on some sort of inheritance so that i can actually interview at these places. anyone want to go rob a bank?

So far I've heard from:

JHU, Brigham, UC Irvine, and Cedars-Sinai.

Nothing from my others, including UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, etc.

I am still waiting for my 3rd LOR and am sending a thank you card today with, "thank you for supporting my residency application, etc." I wonder when I should freak out about the possibility of this letter not getting there....Oct 15th? I know this attending travels a lot and is hard to get in touch with. Now I wonder if I should have requested four, just so I could have three letters for sure?

OK, I'll jump on the bandwagon with our interview offers:

U Minn, UNC, UH/Case, Cleveland Clinic, Vermont, Vanderbilt, Emory, Yale, Oklahoma, Northwestern, Cedars-Sinai (yep, we're applying all over the whole dang country).

We got some kind of noncommittal notice from Duke.

Still waiting to hear from: 20 other programs. Can't complain, though; we'll be racking up the frequent flyer miles as it is.

I'm also still waiting on my only LOR from a pathologist! Grrrrr. Aargh.

adding schools to the interview and waiting to hear from lists.
AndyMilonakis said:
OK I'll follow suit here. I've heard from: Brigham, JHU, WashU, Vanderbilt, Emory, Cleveland Clinic, UNC, BIDMC, Penn, and UChicago and Stanford.

No word so far from: UWashington, UVA, Duke, Cornell, Mayo, Michigan, MGH, UCSF, and UCLA.

VCU by email!

I guess I will join in, I have interviews at:

SUNY - Brooklyn
Ohio State Uni
Southwestern
Cleveland Clinic
Case Western
Northwestern
NYU
Drexel
MCV/VCU

deschutes said:
Looks like I should start thinking about how to match with only 2 interviews. Yaargh!

You still have quite a bit of time. The match deadline is months away and interviews are given into November.

Relax..... Make some calls etc.

Here is what I have so far.

UT San Antonio
UT Knoxville
St. Louis University
Virginia
Oklahoma

I hope the next week will be a good week for interviews.

Are we there yet?

Last edited:
University of Texas @ Houston by email today...any word/thoughts about this program? I heard that Baylor Houston is the better place for PATH of the two.

so far I have...

BIDMC
NYU
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio St.
VCU
UNC
ECU
MUSC
UAB
Emory
Vanderbilt

Anybody heard from Duke, UVA, Wake Forest??
(other than "we got your stuff ")

I heard from Duke....they told me to take a hike...

Last edited:
Logos' said:
Of those I only applied to Chicago and the PD did not list dates in his email.

I second that. I talked to them on the phone last week to schedule the interview. The secretary told me that they have dates open in late October and that some people were interviewing then. I tried to schedule for January; she told me that she preferred me to interview sooner.

Chicago likes to arrange dates when the department chair is in town and is able to meet with applicants it seems. In any case, I think Chicago is like other programs that will interview people starting in mid-to-late October and through the next few months from that point on. Unfortunately, I'm not sure as to when they stop interviewing applicants.

Like Logos' I didn't apply to the other two places so I'm sorry I can't provide much insight to their interviewing schedules.

Addendum: Compulsive email checking pays off again. I got interview invite emails from UVA and UCSF today.

SLUsagar,

yes, baylor has a better reputation than ut houston. however, baylor has been experiencing some difficulties lately because methodist hospital recently split form the med school. it's kinda chaotic so i don't know what's gonna happen.

I'm scheduled for Minnesota Oct 22 and Drexel Dec 4. Rejected by Vandy, no surprise. Jerks. :)
Still waiting to hear from:
UTSW
Colorado
Penrose (rotating there in Nov)
Jefferson
Tennessee- Memphis
LSU- Shreveport
U of Utah (expecting rejection here)
Oregon
New Mexico
UMass

Would really like to hear from UTSW, Shreveport, and Jefferson for family reasons. Good luck to all in this stressful process...we will all make it!

OK, so I applied to NYC programs only, and I'm starting to get a little nervous because I haven't heard from the better two in the city.

Interviews:
1. NYU
2. Columbia
3. SUNY Downstate
4. Albert Einstein at Yeshiva University

Haven't heard from yet!
1. Mt. Sinai
2. Cornell

Fuss, Fuss, Fuss, Fuss!!!! I applied a while ago and heard that other people had interviews at Mt. Sinai and Cornell around this time last year.
Fuss, Fuss, Fuss. I need a refill on my Zoloft! Just kidding.

deschutes said:
Iowa by email, after some dramatic nuances... :D

Dramatic nuances? Sounds intriguing...

stormjen said:
Dramatic nuances? Sounds intriguing...
More so than it actually was!

Damned visa again.

"So you're a Canadian applicant.... and you can't apply for a visa until you match in mid-March, right? What happens if your visa doesn't get approved, doesn't that mean we'll have an unfilled position?"

I explained that I knew someone from here who went there, no problem.

I got my invite.

Zoloft said:
Fuss, Fuss, Fuss...
I am with you on that, as always. What a waste of a Thanksgiving day. I'm waiting on both Cornell and Columbia.

joedogma said:
I heard from Duke....they told me to take a hike...
Gee thanks - I applied today :laugh: There goes $15, up in smoke...

Congrats on your Iowa interview invite deschutes. It sucks that you had to jump through those hoops to get it.

AndyMilonakis said:
Congrats on your .... interview invite deschutes. It sucks that you had to jump through those hoops to get it.
It is my sincere hope that you will be repeating those two lines a great deal more in the future ;)

Time to go pack!

deschutes said:
The primary reason for headbanging:

The biggie programs where I don't really expect to view, much less match - they have IMGs, but the question is - have they already decided they don't want me.

The smaller academic programs who don't attract as many of the stunningly-qualified IMG's have no idea what to do with an IMG.

Conclusion: My app may even be on its way to the bin if I don't catch it in time.

Yeah I was a headbanger. I enjoyed banging people's heads together.

Hey, what colour is the suit?

hey...smellycat here...
i've applied to 10 programs and I only have 1 interview...
I'm a little worried, but i'm hoping it is because i only have 1 recommendation in...hopefully when all of them come it'll be different.
Wish me luck...and prayers

Got an interview invite at Michigan today. This of course one day after they sent me an email saying, "we've received over 200 applications." They must look through 'em pretty quick.

New Mexico today by E-mail.

Hi all - first post here. Actually, I just discovered this board today. What a great resource!

I've gotten interviews from MGH, B&W, JHU, U Va, U Penn, Columbia, UTSW, Stanford, Wash U, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State, and Case Western.

Got a couple interesting emails from Michigan and Duke. Michigan said basically: "over 200 applications, we'll let you know" Duke said "when the committee gets back to me, I'll let you know". Has anyone gotten an interview from Duke?

Today, I got a letter from Baylor saying that they don't offer interviews until the MSPE is mailed out Nov 1.

So far, so good (19 applications, 12 interviews)!

Michigan should start inviting people soon - there are lots of qualified applicants but who knows what that means!

yaah said:
Michigan should start inviting people soon - there are lots of qualified applicants but who knows what that means!

Thanks for the info about Michigan - I've heard good things about the program and would like to interview there. I guess every program has its own schedule and method for granting interviews, although the variability can be frustrating as a prospective candidate. Personally, I appreciate receiving updates from places like Michigan, Duke, and Baylor regarding my status in their interview process. It's much better than the total silence from some programs.

geddy said:
Thanks for the info about Michigan - I've heard good things about the program and would like to interview there. I guess every program has its own schedule and method for granting interviews, although the variability can be frustrating as a prospective candidate. Personally, I appreciate receiving updates from places like Michigan, Duke, and Baylor regarding my status in their interview process. It's much better than the total silence from some programs.

Welcome to the forum geddy. I suspect and hope that you will get your interview invite from Michigan pretty soon (possibly evey today). Keep checking your email :)

AndyMilonakis said:
Welcome to the forum geddy. I suspect and hope that you will get your interview invite from Michigan pretty soon (possibly evey today). Keep checking your email :)
Got it today :D Thanks for the welcome!

geddy said:
Got it today :D Thanks for the welcome!

Haha! I called it!

Congrats.

OK it's time for my eye-opener...Pepsi that is...haven't had my caffeine fix for the day yet.

Greetings all! Just joined the forum and thought I'd add my application and interview experience to date.

Programs:-----Interview
U Wash
OHSU------------Yes
UCSF
Stanford---------Yes
UC Davis
UCSD
U Colorado
Penrose
UTSW Houston---Yes
Baylor
UNMC
Creighton

It seems that the West Coast is taking their time.