Interviews after acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just want to see how other folks handle this situation.

I'm starting to get interview invitations, and have several more appointments, but just got accepted at one of my preferred schools.

It seems like there is so much to consider: financial aid, ect, and the chance you might like a place more after seeing it first-hand.

Who else is having this happen and what are you doing?

Members don't see this ad.

when you realize an interview trip to a school will cost you about $400, the decision to decline will be much easier to swallow.

well if the acceptance is to one of your preferred schools then cancel all the ones you had ranked lower on your own personal list....

for me at least...if i got a cali acceptance then i would pull out from all the schools out of state that i have not yet heard from and would not consider going there for an interview if i were to recieve one. and like mike said...its a crapload of money. not fun.

now if you are getting invites from schools that you have a similar like for with the school that you got accepted to..then thats a different story and you should consider going to those.

do searches on sdn to see what other people thought about the school. i am sure that members here have had posted some thoughts on a lot of the medical schools here in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jlee9531
well if the acceptance is to one of your preferred schools then cancel all the ones you had ranked lower on your own personal list....

for me at least...if i got a cali acceptance then i would pull out from all the schools out of state that i have not yet heard from and would not consider going there for an interview if i were to recieve one. and like mike said...its a crapload of money. not fun.

now if you are getting invites from schools that you have a similar like for with the school that you got accepted to..then thats a different story and you should consider going to those.

do searches on sdn to see what other people thought about the school. i am sure that members here have had posted some thoughts on a lot of the medical schools here in the US.

I agree with Jlee, don't withdraw all your applications just yet. Keep the ones that you can see yourself going to. However, if there's a couple schools that you simply won't consider after your acceptance, go ahead and withdraw, and save some money

Once I had an acceptance in hand, I got kinda lazy and withdrew from a bunch of schools. Interviewing / travelling / missing work and having to make it up takes too much energy!

I'm also trying to be realistic about financial aid, cuz even though some schools have a low average debt, that may be cuz there are a lot of people who can fully pay their way through med schools. You wouldn't believe how many med students I met on interviews that said they knew of people getting through med school fully funded by parents-- WOW! :eek:

i'm also in that boat.... i got accepted to usc and uci, which are both close to home so i'm considering not going to my northwestern interview that's coming up. although northwestern is a good school and all, i really don't see myself going out of state so i figure i might as well save myself the money.