Interviews and Benefits

Started by Glycerin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who are currently doing or have done a residency, is there usually time during the interview day that benefits are discussed with HR? My main focus of choosing where to apply and ultimately who to rank won't primarily be on insurance benefits, but I do think it is an important thing to consider, since it will be a place of employment for a year. I'm just wondering if it's a topic that is typically brought up or if I should bring it up in an interview.
 
from what I've seen - everywhere offers at least health insurance. The # of holidays/PTO seems to vary but insurance looks to be standard - vision and dental as well.
 
from what I've seen - everywhere offers at least health insurance. The # of holidays/PTO seems to vary but insurance looks to be standard - vision and dental as well.

I guess I should have been clearer. I know the places offer insurance, but I'm wondering if the interview would be the time to discuss the details of what kinds of insurance they provide and who they consider dependents. Those sorts of details. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In all honesty, benefeits were pretty similar between programs.

I did not meet anyone from HR on any of my residency interviews. I did get packets from some programs with more detailed explainations of benefits. Most programs will at least gloss over the basics. I am sure if you wanted to meet with someone from HR they could put you in contact.
 
While I'm just a lowly third year, here's my two cents. :laugh: Since it's important to you, important enough to ask for help here, make it known that you'd like to talk over some of the details with HR during your interview. While I get (from talking with others) that they cover these at high levels, I don't see a problem asking to be put in contact with someone that can answer specific questions. Since some organizations might have issues with cold contacting HR I'd provide a list of questions and your contact information and see if they can't pass that along.

If they are hesitant to give you someone to talk to, I think that speaks volumes (either in their impression of you or the sites general "helpfullness"). I'm not sure I'd want to do a residency at a location like that.

I've used that before during some of the IT conferences where jobs were floating and I was providing coverage for people not related to me.
 
I guess I should have been clearer. I know the places offer insurance, but I'm wondering if the interview would be the time to discuss the details of what kinds of insurance they provide and who they consider dependents. Those sorts of details. 🙂

All the programs that I interviewed with gives you a packet of what they offere HR wise. Insurance, vacation, dental, even retirement. Hope this helps.