Interviews and Chances of Acceptance

Started by doclm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doclm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have three interviews at Podiatry schools coming up in the next few weeks. Barry University on 12/02, Scholl on 12/08, Ohio on 12/09.

I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted at these schools? And what school would prepare me the most for getting a PM&S-36 residency, also I am thinking about a MBA.

My stats:GPA 3.76, Sci GPA 3.76
MCAT 19L (VR6, PS7, BS6) & 20L (VR4 😱 , PS7, BS9)
Five years of CNA- great LOR's
Two Years Medical Technology, Mayo Clinic

This past year, I have determined that Podiatry is the best fit for me. Because of the well balanced work & time , diversity of patients, freedom of specialty and ability to use my creativity. Shadowing a Podiatrist in a private practice really gave me the inspiration to become a DPM. Working with MD's the past couple years, has pushed me not to become a slave to a hospital working 80 hrs per week. Many of the residents that I have talked to on a regular basis have episodes of unhappiness with their profession. Why? Well for example, my cousin who scored top in his MD class, and 99% on the USMLE, and has chosen the Anes. route now has to work 30 hrs straight every third day, and ends up working 8-12 hrs the other days. His wife stays at home alone most days with a toddler and a 2 yr old. I guess I am too much of a family guy to do this to myself. Also, I feel the field of Podiatry is changing into a well respected sugical subspecialty with lots of room of personal development.

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted with my low MCAT's? Do I need to apply to more than 3 schools?


Thank You for your feedback 🙂
 
doclm said:
I have three interviews at Podiatry schools coming up in the next few weeks. Barry University on 12/02, Scholl on 12/08, Ohio on 12/09.

I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted at these schools? And what school would prepare me the most for getting a PM&S-36 residency, also I am thinking about a MBA.

My stats:GPA 3.76, Sci GPA 3.76
MCAT 19L (VR6, PS7, BS6) & 20L (VR4 😱 , PS7, BS9)
Five years of CNA- great LOR's
Two Years Medical Technology, Mayo Clinic

This past year, I have determined that Podiatry is the best fit for me. Because of the well balanced work & time , diversity of patients, freedom of specialty and ability to use my creativity. Shadowing a Podiatrist in a private practice really gave me the inspiration to become a DPM. Working with MD's the past couple years, has pushed me not to become a slave to a hospital working 80 hrs per week. Many of the residents that I have talked to on a regular basis have episodes of unhappiness with their profession. Why? Well for example, my cousin who scored top in his MD class, and 99% on the USMLE, and has chosen the Anes. route now has to work 30 hrs straight every third day, and ends up working 8-12 hrs the other days. His wife stays at home alone most days with a toddler and a 2 yr old. I guess I am too much of a family guy to do this to myself. Also, I feel the field of Podiatry is changing into a well respected sugical subspecialty with lots of room of personal development.

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted with my low MCAT's? Do I need to apply to more than 3 schools?


Thank You for your feedback 🙂

You wouldn't be given an interview unless you had a chance at getting in. Applying early, of course, always gives you a better chance. I can't tell you about all three schools, but I can tell you that Barry does have the combined DPM/MBA if you are interested. In fact, they will give you a short presentation about the program before your actual interview.

Would any of them guarantee you a better residency? I really doubt it. The things that will get you a good residency are hard work and perseverance on your part. If you make good grades, do well on the boards, get good recommendations and interview well... you will get a good residency.

The MCAT may be a little low, but there are people in school now with 20's. The thing you might miss out on with a low score is scholarship money. Is it worth it to take the MCAT again for a chance at getting 20 or 30 grand given to you? That's up to you to decide.
 
What type of GPA/ MCAT score would it take to get the "20 or 30 grand given to you" scpod??

Does anyone have any input on what types of grades/scores would be required for scholarships of any kind at any of the podiatry schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At California, there is a scholarship for 10,000 a year (renewable) if you have above a 3.5 and 5,000 (renewable) if you have a 3.3-3.5. However, it's limited and I believe they need your parental info. As for the MCAT score, someone on here got a scholarship with a 26.
 
alparkeruab said:
What type of GPA/ MCAT score would it take to get the "20 or 30 grand given to you" scpod??

Does anyone have any input on what types of grades/scores would be required for scholarships of any kind at any of the podiatry schools?

The lowest that I personally know of is a 25, but that number could change depending on the school and your other stats I suppose.
 
Hey,

What is considered early in applying to Pod school? Are there a lot of seats left now?

Also, are these interviews competitive like an MD/DO interview, where you have rounds of interviews throughout the day (group) and single interview?

Finally, do you have to wait 7-14 days to get an acceptance after the interview?

Thank You,

Luke. 🙂
 
Thank you everyone for your support. 👍

I recently got into Scholl with a 50% tuition scholarship. Considering their tuition is $23,000, that saves me $11,500 the first year and other scholarships will follow with a 3.4-3.5 GPA throughtout medical school.

Thanks.