Interviews and Classes/Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamgroot2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Let's say you are taking a full-time schedule for fall quarter/semester, how do you setup interviews with schools? Let's say your interview day or days fall on days you have exams, how would that work? I know that there are a lot of professors that would not let students change their exam times, simply for interviews. I guess also for people that work full-time, how did you get off work for the days needed to arrive, go through interviews, and travel back home?

Members don't see this ad.

I work full time and not in school anymore so I don't know how the school part would go. With my job I told them in the beginning of the cycle what the process was like and I would probably be taking random days off. So when I get an invite I just request the day off. It also helps that schools usually give you a couple days to pick from so in theory if you have an exam on one of those days you can pick another slot

Reactions: 1 user
I work full time. My job knows that I am in the application process/interviewing. As soon as I scheduled an interview, I requested that day/time off. I have never had trouble getting days off in the past. Now that is getting closer to the holidays when more people take time off, I will probably check what days my coworkers have off and try to avoid scheduling for any days that most of my coworkers already have off. I also try to schedule afternoon interviews (for half-day interviews) or Friday/Monday interviews (for full day interviews) when possible, because that works better with my schedule. My interviews have all been virtual so far, making that possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I arranged my interviews for Mondays or Fridays if possible, so I could travel over the weekend. I also explained my situation to the professor IN PERSON if I needed to reschedule something.

Often they put a “no rescheduling exams” rule in the syllabus but an in person conversation could result in more lenient policies.

I arranged my interviews for Mondays or Fridays if possible, so I could travel over the weekend. I also explained my situation to the professor IN PERSON if I needed to reschedule something.

Often they put a “no rescheduling exams” rule in the syllabus but an in person conversation could result in more lenient policies.
I have encountered the opposite, where professors have been extremely stringent on no rescheduling exam policies. What could I do in that case?

I have encountered the opposite, where professors have been extremely stringent on no rescheduling exam policies. What could I do in that case?
Easy. Schedule your interview days to avoid those exams. You will experience the lack of flexibility when you get into professional school.