Interviews at Harvard, JHU and WashU but not Penn??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmmm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was very disappointed when I didn't receive an interview invite at UPenn (I got the polite "deferral" message). I know rankings are not everything, but since Penn is ranked #3 by US News / World Report, and I've gotten interviews at #s 1, 2 and 4, I'm a bit surprised.

Has this happened to other people? Is it worth calling them and begging them to reconsider? UPenn was my top choice, for very "personal" reasons...

Members don't see this ad.

each school looks for different things. Just because Penn is ranked lower than HMS doesn't mean that you ought to get an interview there. It's not just about rankings...

Hi everyone,

I was very disappointed when I didn't receive an interview invite at UPenn (I got the polite "deferral" message). I know rankings are not everything, but since Penn is ranked #3 by US News / World Report, and I've gotten interviews at #s 1, 2 and 4, I'm a bit surprised.

Has this happened to other people? Is it worth calling them and begging them to reconsider? UPenn was my top choice, for very "personal" reasons...

there are tons of SDN posts on this issue. You can get an interview at Harvard and NOT at Drexel. there is no basis upon which to expect something from School A, just because Schools B,C and D like your application. it doesn't work that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
stop ragging on Drexel lemon, just cause they are showing you no love

each school looks for different things. Just because Penn is ranked lower than HMS doesn't mean that you ought to get an interview there. It's not just about rankings...
Thanks for your input!
What I'm more interested in is to know whether it's worth talking to Penn, given my interest...

If you've been rejected, then there's really nothing you can do that will matter. It's been tried, but I've almost never heard of it working without an extreme circumstance. If you simply haven't received an interview, then you can always write a letter of interest with an update on what you've been doing.

However, you don't DESERVE an interview anywhere. Just because one school gets more NIH funding than another doesn't automatically make it better than another school. Your Penn essays might not be what they're looking for.

i know a friend accepted to UCSF but not even offered an interview at UCI. weirder stuff has happened.

If you've been rejected, then there's really nothing you can do that will matter. It's been tried, but I've almost never heard of it working without an extreme circumstance. If you simply haven't received an interview, then you can always write a letter of interest with an update on what you've been doing.

However, you don't DESERVE an interview anywhere. Just because one school gets more NIH funding than another doesn't automatically make it better than another school. Your Penn essays might not be what they're looking for.
penn had no essays, they don't particularly care for more input

I got interviews at the Top 5 schools, and didn't get one at UChicago, which was my first choice (also for personal reasons). So...life isn't fair sometimes.

i know a friend accepted to UCSF but not even offered an interview at UCI. weirder stuff has happened.

I know a friend who was rejected at UCSF and UCI.

Thank you for the interest / update letter idea, I'll give it a try.

Btw...I know full well that NIH funding does not necessarily make a school better than another. Why else would I be still pushing for Penn if I were just after the US News rankings? Rather, I was under the (incorrect) impression that idecisions to grant an interview were made more on "numbers" and it was precisely the INTERVIEW that helped determine if you were a right "fit" for the school. Penn has a very short supplemental application, so they really just have the AMCAS data...and let's face it, how different can we really look on the AMCAS application?

Btw...I know full well that NIH funding does not necessarily make a school better than another. Why else would I be still pushing for Penn if I were just after the US News rankings? Rather, I was under the (incorrect) impression that idecisions to grant an interview were made more on "numbers" and it was precisely the INTERVIEW that helped determine if you were a right "fit" for the school. Penn has a very short supplemental application, so they really just have the AMCAS data...and let's face it, how different can we really look on the AMCAS application?
actually, there can be a huge different with respect to the activities you list

they really do look at that you know

Very different. Hence the "personal" statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
you should DEFINATELY write to penn. during my interview, my interviewer strongly encouraged me to write to penn if it was my top choice and that the committee appreciated/looked favorably upon this. good luck!:luck::luck:

I got interviews at the Top 5 schools, and didn't get one at UChicago, which was my first choice (also for personal reasons). So...life isn't fair sometimes.
hmm...I see. And did you contact UChicago? Did it help?

I know someone who got pre-interview accepted to Hogwarts and got the "deferral" message to Stewart. It's a cruel world out there.

:banana:

Hey mmmmm! How come you don't have a profile showing off the beautiful stats you must have! It's people like you who help us underclassmen with our blueprints of what we need to do! :D

Ironically I received interviews at Columbia and Penn, but am waiting to hear from Hopkins and wash U!!!

Hi everyone,

stop ragging on Drexel lemon, just cause they are showing you no love

i just choose drexel as an example of a school that is lower ranked than some others. nothing personal. (tho i am mad at them.) i should mix it up more, i guess.

wow, AM you're tough on me in thread after thread. just because i refused to wear the French maid's outfit for you?

hint: this is not the way to get me to change my mind.

i just choose drexel as an example of a school that is lower ranked than some others. nothing personal. (tho i am mad at them.) i should mix it up more, i guess.

wow, AM you're tough on me in thread after thread. just because i refused to wear the French maid's outfit for you?

hint: this is not the way to get me to change my mind.
Son of a..

Hi everyone,

Haha, a similar thing happened to me. I had interviews at Harvard and Hopkins, but no love from Penn. Since you're really interested in Penn, maybe you should consider writing them a letter.

The sense of entitlement encountered constantly on the Pre-Allo message board never ceases to amaze me. Interviews at 3 top 10 schools, and the OP finds a reason to complain. Good Lord. :rolleyes:

Haha, a similar thing happened to me. I had interviews at Harvard and Hopkins, but no love from Penn. Since you're really interested in Penn, maybe you should consider writing them a letter.

haha. crazy, am i right? what is that place thinking??

anyone wanna bet that Lovelymd looks about as much like her avatar as AlexMorph does?

I wasn't complaining about not getting an interview there, I was just showing the OP that it isn't unusual to get interviews at some places and not thers. Different schools have different preferences and your application may work for some schools, but not for others. And that's fine.

EDIT: One thing I HAVE noticed is that the schools that haven't gotten back to me are the schools that didn't have essays on their secondaries. Maybe those schools weren't really feeling my personal statement. I did feel like my secondary essays were better than my personal statement, so it's entirely possible. Who knows, but in this process, you just have to go with the flow.

Hey! You think your case is funny? Try mine.

I got in WashU but rejected by Michigan State University.

I don't have an avatar

who exactly are you insulting here?

it's a twofer.

but i meant that you look more like HER avatar than SHE does. which, i guess, could be a compliment to you???

it's a twofer.

but i meant that you look more like HER avatar than SHE does. which, i guess, could be a compliment to you???
I wouldn't mind look like that person, she looks damn good

what's the name of the singer btw?

My avatar is of a singer who is also black and asian. If you really want to know what I look like, you can PM me and ask.

over to you AlexMorph!!

You could try calling or writing them, or you could live with a nagging regret for the next 4+ years. Your call.

You could try calling or writing them, or you could live with a nagging regret for the next 4+ years. Your call.
does it really help all that much to call/write?

also, what if you write once and it doesn't help? how many times can you contact them without being annoying and ticking them off?

Agreed. OP, I didn't notice that you said you had very "personal" reasons, which makes it sound like you've got extra ties to the area and/or school. If I were you, with such strong ties to the area and compelling reasons to go there, I'd write one. At worst, it'll be filed away, and at best, it'll get you off hold and get you an interview. Don't want to live with regrets...