Interviews at PCO,SUNY, NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelica17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just had my optometry school interviews recently. I decided to share my experiences because the forums I read really helped preparing me for my interviews, but were a bit old. It's true what they say just relax and be yourself. Good luck on your interviews!

PCO Interview:

I personally would say it was the easiest and most laid back interview I had. It's a one on one interview with an employee from admissions. The interviewer is very friendly and just wants to get to know you.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why PCO, about my clinic experience, challenges in optometry, she asked about experiences on resume, was asked to read a prompt and how I would respond to the patient in the scenario.

NOVA Interview:

This interview was a bit more serious. I had two people interviewing me. They didn't ask personal questions. They focused more on my knowledge of optometry.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why NOVA, Why did I choose optometry vs ophthalmology, Difference between optometry and ophthalmology, How would I explain that difference to a teenager, What would I do if my friend who missed the exams asked me for answers.

SUNY Interview:

This interview was not intense at all. I was super nervous for this interview due to prior reviews but it wasn't at all what I expected. There was three interviewers and they were all super friendly.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why SUNY, How would you explain a cataract, about my experiences, about a course I retook, Challenges during undergrad career, how would you explain to a patient they did not have insurance and what would you do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Is SUNY and Nova more into stats? Like do they put more importance to GPA than OAT scores? I'm sure you'll get accepted to all 3:)

Yea. Coming from someone who got rejected from NOVA, NOVA was definitely the hardest interview I had. I interviewed at NOVA, ICO and UAB. Got into ICO and UAB. ICO and UAB asked personal questions. NOVA asked: explain Optometry to a 4th grader. If you caught someone cheating on a test, what would you do?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea. Coming from someone who got rejected from NOVA, NOVA was definitely the hardest interview I had. I interviewed at NOVA, ICO and UAB. Got into ICO and UAB. ICO and UAB asked personal questions. NOVA asked: explain Optometry to a 4th header. If you caught someone cheating on a test, what would you do?
Did they grill you about your transcript or anything? I'm applying to Nova as a low gpa (3.0) and high oat applicant:/ I'm super nervous about how they'll see my retakes and just throw my app out. Even with my high oat

Reactions: 1 user
Did they grill you about your transcript or anything? I'm applying to Nova as a low gpa (3.0) and high oat applicant:/ I'm super nervous about how they'll see my retakes and just throw my app out. Even with my high oat

No they didn't say anything about my OAT or GPA. Nothing academic, although they did have the files.

They didn't question any of my academics even though I did retake orgo during my undergraduate. The interview focuses more on your thought process and your communication with their questions.

Hey everyone,

I just had my optometry school interviews recently. I decided to share my experiences because the forums I read really helped preparing me for my interviews, but were a bit old. It's true what they say just relax and be yourself. Good luck on your interviews!

PCO Interview:

I personally would say it was the easiest and most laid back interview I had. It's a one on one interview with an employee from admissions. The interviewer is very friendly and just wants to get to know you.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why PCO, about my clinic experience, challenges in optometry, she asked about experiences on resume, was asked to read a prompt and how I would respond to the patient in the scenario.

NOVA Interview:

This interview was a bit more serious. I had two people interviewing me. They didn't ask personal questions. They focused more on my knowledge of optometry.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why NOVA, Why did I choose optometry vs ophthalmology, Difference between optometry and ophthalmology, How would I explain that difference to a teenager, What would I do if my friend who missed the exams asked me for answers.

SUNY Interview:

This interview was not intense at all. I was super nervous for this interview due to prior reviews but it wasn't at all what I expected. There was three interviewers and they were all super friendly.

Questions:
Why optometry, Why SUNY, How would you explain a cataract, about my experiences, about a course I retook, Challenges during undergrad career, how would you explain to a patient they did not have insurance and what would you do.

I'm interviewing at SUNY very soon & was curious about that 'scenario' question they asked you. Was the question, "how would you explain to a patient that they did not have insurance & what would you do?" Do you happen to know what the correct answer is?
Sorry to ask, but SUNY is my top choice & I'm really nervous about the interview!!
Thanks!!!!

I'm interviewing at SUNY very soon & was curious about that 'scenario' question they asked you. Was the question, "how would you explain to a patient that they did not have insurance & what would you do?" Do you happen to know what the correct answer is?
Sorry to ask, but SUNY is my top choice & I'm really nervous about the interview!!
Thanks!!!!

Yes, that was the question. I don't know the correct answer, but there are different ways you can approach the question. Just explain you understand their situation so you would be sympathetic towards the patient, but you can not provide free services to every patient. So you can work a payment plan something along those lines would work.

Reactions: 1 users
If they don't have insurance you accept, then they can pay cash. If they don't want to see your office, you can refer them to an office that takes medicaid (welfare) in your area or you can recommend they see an optometry school's clinic, or a community health center which would be more affordable.

Also have the same question. Applying for 2019 with a 3.1 and haven't taken OAT yet but have experience working in the field. Im scared they'll focus on my transcript the entire time since I have failed some classes and it is open file. Could anyone share their experience as a low GPA interviewee ?

I was a low GPA, high OAT applicant and got into Nova just fine. Be confident and charismatic! You’ll do great.

Reactions: 1 users