Interviews at WVSOM and UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be in WV on 9/27 and UNECOM on 10/28. Anyone familiar with these two schools? Anyone accepted already? Would like to know what type of questions are asked and how to prepare for the BIG DAY! MCAT was not great but my GPA is close to 3.75 - maybe that's why I was invited. At any rate, I want to be as prepared at possible. Thanks for any info.

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I interviewed at WV a week ago, send me an e-mail and I can tell you a bit about the school. Any specifics?? It's a really small town, but the school is very nice, and the people were awesome.

Sara

I'm a second year at WVSOM ... be glad to answer any questions on or before the 27th ... can be reached best by e-mail ... good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a MSI at UNECOM. If you have any questions feel free to post them or drop me an email!

Matt

I too am a first year at UNECOM. Drop me a line with any specific questions. I love the atmosphere of the school. My classmates are wonderful! Good luck with your interview.

Renee

I also enjoy my classmates....UNECOM is a great place to learn the art of medicine!

To Sara, Heather, Matt, and Renee who responded to my 9/16 post re interviewing at WVSOM and UNECOM. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO! It was very helpful and is much appreciated. Congratulations to those who are already attending and good luck to those who still wait to hear!

------------------

rog

Roger, if you don't mind may I post a question on your thread?

Matt and Renee,
I've only heard good things about UNECOM from everybody I've talked to. Is there anything negative??

I saw a post on the UNECOM website that said 80 some people graduated this year from the D.O. program. Was this an underestimate or was the class size smaller in years passed?

What is the attrition rate at UNECOM? Does everybody make it through?
Thank you for taking the time to respond to these questions!

Pepper

In regard to the reply to my post about UNECOM by Pepper. Good questions about UNECOM and ones which I would also be interested in having answered. Any info in regard to the interview process at UNECOM ( what do they ask, how to prepare, where to stay?) , the size of the class and attrition rate plus whatever other insights you have are appreciated. I intereview on 11/28. Also, is it possible to get more information on the curriculum than is provided in the standard viewbook they send out? Thanks
Rog

------------------

rog

Hi Roger.

Pepper here. I can offer you some advice for interviewing. Is the viewbook you mentioned the pamphlet the school sent with your interview letter? If so, there is detailed info. on UNECOM's curriculum on their website or you can call and request a catalogue. The catalogue and site are essentially the same if you're looking for program information. You should visit 1 other website before your interview. This is www.interviewfeedback.com. This is a very helpful website. As far as lodging, you'll see on that website that students had varied opinions on where to stay. I'd suggest staying at Motel 111 which is right in Biddeford. People were friendly, helpful with directions, and professional. Very clean for a hotel/motel room and the lowest price of any on the list UNECOM sent you. The website will give you more info. on flights etc. Hope this helps.
Good luck with your interview.

Pepper

[This message has been edited by Pepper (edited September 28, 1999).]

Pepper, thanks for the info on NECOM. The information you gave was helpful. I looked at their site and it is well organized and does contain much detail. I'd love to speak to a student who is attending there now. I put out some posts and emails and am waiting for any responses as I've got a BILLION questions!

------------------

rog

Matt, this is Rog. Wondered if you got my email? I read your reply to my post and as I will be interviewing at UNECOM on 10/28 I was anxious to ask you some questions. (or should I say billions of questions) Anyway if you could respond in anyway at all, ie what was your interview like and what type of questions were asked, what do you find unique about the curriculum, the trimester schedule,any classes given with a PBL approach? I hear you travel quite a bit for the clinical training in 3rd and 4th years? Is OMM/OMT training strong as I have been told ( I like that)? I hear Biddeford and the school are a wonderful place to study medicine and it looks that way to me also? What's your insiders perspective. I am very hopeful that if I do well on the 28th, perhaps I'll be offered a seat - as good as hitting the lottery! Thanks if you have time to answer anything I've asked and good luck to you.
Rog

------------------

rog

ReneeWB - read your post and since you are a MS1 at UNECOM and I am interviewing there on 10/28 I wondered if you could answer some questions. Do you remember what your interview was like, what type of questions they asked etc? I also wondered how you like the trimester system, if there is any PBL in the first year or at all, how strong is the emphasis on OMM/OMT ( I have a strong interest myself), and if it is true that it is necessary to do much traveling in the third and fourth years of clinical studies and for rotations? If so why is this, and is it more than is usual? Have you heard anything about the residency match rate for UNECOM? What do you find really unique about the curriculum and the school? Was it your first choice? I am praying that my interview goes well and I am offered a seat so I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
I 've also been told Biddeford and the school are a perfect environoment to study medicine. Do you agree? I would guess you do! Try to answer if you have any time - even if you only have time to answer some of my questions - I know there are alot. Oh, one last thing, do they have any mentor. preceptorship programs in year one, or in any other year for that matter. Do you have an opportunity to work with REAL patients in the first year or second? Thanks - I better end this post here.
Hope to hear from you
Rog

------------------

rog

Anyone interviewing at UNECOM on 11/11?

Also, RenneeWB, you don't have your email in your profile. Would you please email me your email address so I may ask you a couple of questions about UNE?

Thanks,
Phillip Snider, MS, RD
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
[email protected]

Dear All,

I am sorry for not posting in a while, but things have been very busy the last few weeks! To those of you who are interviewing soon here are some general remarks.

1) Know thy self....know thy self...know thy self. Know why you want to be a physician, know why you want to be an osteopathic physician. Know about UNE in general. Have some specific questions about UNECOM to ask your interviewers. Know what qualities you posses that will make you a good osteopathic physician.

2) Be honest. Be yourself.

3) If you have the time, take a weekend to check the area out. Drive up and down the coast and check out the old port in Portland.

4) When you are on campus ask lots of questions to the students. We are excited to see some new faces and are willing to chat with you...anything to not have to head to the lab for a few minutes.

5) The interview itself was very low stress. More of a conversation. I was asked about my outside activities and which ones I enjoyed most. Others were asked about their research or previous job experience. There are no tricks....know thy self! Refer to number one!

6) I have only positive things to say about UNECOM....facilities are unmatched...see for yourself!

7) We have an excellent OMT department and you will learn to incorporate OMM into your practice.

8) Relax and enjoy the process!

Good luck. Matt

Dear All,

I am sorry for not posting in a while, but things have been very busy the last few weeks! To those of you who are interviewing soon here are some general remarks.

1) Know thy self....know thy self...know thy self. Know why you want to be a physician, know why you want to be an osteopathic physician. Know about UNE in general. Have some specific questions about UNECOM to ask your interviewers. Know what qualities you posses that will make you a good osteopathic physician.

2) Be honest. Be yourself.

3) If you have the time, take a weekend to check the area out. Drive up and down the coast and check out the old port in Portland.

4) When you are on campus ask lots of questions to the students. We are excited to see some new faces and are willing to chat with you...anything to not have to head to the lab for a few minutes.

5) The interview itself was very low stress. More of a conversation. I was asked about my outside activities and which ones I enjoyed most. Others were asked about their research or previous job experience. There are no tricks....know thy self! Refer to number one!

6) I have only positive things to say about UNECOM....facilities are unmatched...see for yourself!

7) We have an excellent OMT department and you will learn to incorporate OMM into your practice.

8) Relax and enjoy the process!

Good luck. Matt

Matt - Rog here. Thanks for the good advise about UNECOM. It sounds great! If you have time to answer:
Do you like the trimester system there?
Any Problem Based Learning (PBL) classes or all system based lecture classes?
Is it true you must travel alot for clinical training and rotations in 3rd and 4th years?
Lastly, as a MS1 will you work with REAL patients? Do you have a physicians mentoring program for students?

All comments are welcome for anyone from UNECOM but special thanks again to Matt

------------------

rog