Interviews Begin at UW!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like Waterloo started interviewing applicants from UW today, and so much sooner than anyone anticipated! Looks like I got the call today to schedule one too :eek:

Anyone have any experience to share yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! When is your interview? Would you be able to share your interview experience? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even submitted my app yet!

Wait - are you attending UW? i'm hoping that's why you're so early....

Hi ann7,

It turns out I can't PM you back so here's my resonse:

I haven't had my interview yet, its this Friday. All I know know for sure it that the interview is 30 min. I do know that you should be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge of the profession; what you noticed when u shadowed, how the profession is regulated, what the function of the associate and college of optometry are in your province, maybe about current event concernng optometry in your province. Also, expect some ethical scenarios like how would u handle a patient whose drivers license had to be taken away. Of course, you should also be prepared to sell yourself and provinde examples of how you have performed in the past.

Hope that helps for now!

Jeff

tybuff,

thats right, I'm at UW already so thats why i'm early. I think they start off with the UW students first just because we're already on campus and in the city.

Interviews for non-UW students are held separately... if I remember correctly soon after final exams.

I have a question about the Essay set up for the Waterloo Application (i probably have to call Marie A. :mad:) but how did you guys do it?? the essay can be 900 words, 10 pt font BUT cant exceed the box on that sheet of paper and must be 1.5-line spaced. Is it just me or does that not work out?? how did you guys fit that many words in those dimensions? I'm currently working with 0.5 inch margins and 10 pt font...
THanks for the info

You'll probably never fit 900 words in the space. Mine was 680 with a maybe a line or two remaining and 2cm margins all around. Just try to keep it concise and direct.

jefguth said:
You'll probably never fit 900 words in the space. Mine was 680 with a maybe a line or two remaining and 2cm margins all around. Just try to keep it concise and direct.

Thats what I thought! thanks for the info

Just had my interview today at waterloo.
It was pretty laid back surprisingly, mine lasted 40 min though I have heard others at 20 min.
Here are some sample questions:
Tell us about yourself / how have you prepared for optometry

Talk about cheating policies at UW (thought I'm not sure if this is just for internal applicants)

How would you deliver bad news to a patient?

How do you deal with stress?

Give a pro and con of optometry.

Who do patients go to if they have a complaint about an OD?

Hope these questions help

Had my interview today, it was also fairly laid-back with similar questions as the above and it lasted about 35-40 min overall. The only other question that stands out in my mind was "what courses do you think have best prepared you for optometry?"

My interview was a little bit intimidating. who were your interviewers?

jefguth said:
Had my interview today, it was also fairly laid-back with similar questions as the above and it lasted about 35-40 min overall. The only other question that stands out in my mind was "what courses do you think have best prepared you for optometry?"

Really? What happened? I actually have no idea who they were... missed their names hidden by their accents - a British woman, and a Russian/Eastern European sounding man. They were both friendly initially, but the man took on the role of disinterested bystander - only asked two questions I think and sat looking away from me at a wall to my left. The woman was for the most part friendly, but challenging.

I had 2 ladies, the one with the British accent might have been Dr. Hutchings, the other was Dr. Spafford. Both were extremely nice and seemed interested in my answers. (i.e. they weren't looking at the wall) Maybe its because mine was the first interview of the day so they weren't bored yet, lol

The same thing happened to me!!! one of my interviewers seemed pretty nice at the begninning, but after the interview started kinda just acted disinterested. I didn't know what to do, so I just ignored it. I"m kinda worried that he didn't seem interested in what I had to say

jefguth said:
Really? What happened? I actually have no idea who they were... missed their names hidden by their accents - a British woman, and a Russian/Eastern European sounding man. They were both friendly initially, but the man took on the role of disinterested bystander - only asked two questions I think and sat looking away from me at a wall to my left. The woman was for the most part friendly, but challenging.

had my interview today, and figured i'd post up in this thread as well in case somebody does a search.

-they have no idea who you are, or what you've done. first question was tell us about your uni schooling, then why optometry, what makes a good optometrist, do you have these qualities and why

-lots on cheating. be prepared for that

-how do you relieve stress

-pros/cons of the profession

-governing bodies, associations, etc

interview only lasted about ~15-20 mins before i asked questions. my questions took easily as long as my portion of the interview, if not longer. I had a male and a female, no accents, both asked questions and responded, both seemed interested in what i had to say, got a couple laughs (which i didn't expect). alot more relaxed than what I have read about. questions are kinda rapid fire though.