-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Interviews Begin at UW!!
Started by jefguth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi ann7,
It turns out I can't PM you back so here's my resonse:
I haven't had my interview yet, its this Friday. All I know know for sure it that the interview is 30 min. I do know that you should be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge of the profession; what you noticed when u shadowed, how the profession is regulated, what the function of the associate and college of optometry are in your province, maybe about current event concernng optometry in your province. Also, expect some ethical scenarios like how would u handle a patient whose drivers license had to be taken away. Of course, you should also be prepared to sell yourself and provinde examples of how you have performed in the past.
Hope that helps for now!
Jeff
It turns out I can't PM you back so here's my resonse:
I haven't had my interview yet, its this Friday. All I know know for sure it that the interview is 30 min. I do know that you should be prepared to answer questions about your knowledge of the profession; what you noticed when u shadowed, how the profession is regulated, what the function of the associate and college of optometry are in your province, maybe about current event concernng optometry in your province. Also, expect some ethical scenarios like how would u handle a patient whose drivers license had to be taken away. Of course, you should also be prepared to sell yourself and provinde examples of how you have performed in the past.
Hope that helps for now!
Jeff
I have a question about the Essay set up for the Waterloo Application (i probably have to call Marie A. 😡) but how did you guys do it?? the essay can be 900 words, 10 pt font BUT cant exceed the box on that sheet of paper and must be 1.5-line spaced. Is it just me or does that not work out?? how did you guys fit that many words in those dimensions? I'm currently working with 0.5 inch margins and 10 pt font...
THanks for the info
THanks for the info
jefguth said:You'll probably never fit 900 words in the space. Mine was 680 with a maybe a line or two remaining and 2cm margins all around. Just try to keep it concise and direct.
Thats what I thought! thanks for the info
Just had my interview today at waterloo.
It was pretty laid back surprisingly, mine lasted 40 min though I have heard others at 20 min.
Here are some sample questions:
Tell us about yourself / how have you prepared for optometry
Talk about cheating policies at UW (thought I'm not sure if this is just for internal applicants)
How would you deliver bad news to a patient?
How do you deal with stress?
Give a pro and con of optometry.
Who do patients go to if they have a complaint about an OD?
Hope these questions help
It was pretty laid back surprisingly, mine lasted 40 min though I have heard others at 20 min.
Here are some sample questions:
Tell us about yourself / how have you prepared for optometry
Talk about cheating policies at UW (thought I'm not sure if this is just for internal applicants)
How would you deliver bad news to a patient?
How do you deal with stress?
Give a pro and con of optometry.
Who do patients go to if they have a complaint about an OD?
Hope these questions help
Had my interview today, it was also fairly laid-back with similar questions as the above and it lasted about 35-40 min overall. The only other question that stands out in my mind was "what courses do you think have best prepared you for optometry?"
My interview was a little bit intimidating. who were your interviewers?
jefguth said:Had my interview today, it was also fairly laid-back with similar questions as the above and it lasted about 35-40 min overall. The only other question that stands out in my mind was "what courses do you think have best prepared you for optometry?"
Really? What happened? I actually have no idea who they were... missed their names hidden by their accents - a British woman, and a Russian/Eastern European sounding man. They were both friendly initially, but the man took on the role of disinterested bystander - only asked two questions I think and sat looking away from me at a wall to my left. The woman was for the most part friendly, but challenging.
I had 2 ladies, the one with the British accent might have been Dr. Hutchings, the other was Dr. Spafford. Both were extremely nice and seemed interested in my answers. (i.e. they weren't looking at the wall) Maybe its because mine was the first interview of the day so they weren't bored yet, lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The same thing happened to me!!! one of my interviewers seemed pretty nice at the begninning, but after the interview started kinda just acted disinterested. I didn't know what to do, so I just ignored it. I"m kinda worried that he didn't seem interested in what I had to say
jefguth said:Really? What happened? I actually have no idea who they were... missed their names hidden by their accents - a British woman, and a Russian/Eastern European sounding man. They were both friendly initially, but the man took on the role of disinterested bystander - only asked two questions I think and sat looking away from me at a wall to my left. The woman was for the most part friendly, but challenging.
had my interview today, and figured i'd post up in this thread as well in case somebody does a search.
-they have no idea who you are, or what you've done. first question was tell us about your uni schooling, then why optometry, what makes a good optometrist, do you have these qualities and why
-lots on cheating. be prepared for that
-how do you relieve stress
-pros/cons of the profession
-governing bodies, associations, etc
interview only lasted about ~15-20 mins before i asked questions. my questions took easily as long as my portion of the interview, if not longer. I had a male and a female, no accents, both asked questions and responded, both seemed interested in what i had to say, got a couple laughs (which i didn't expect). alot more relaxed than what I have read about. questions are kinda rapid fire though.
-they have no idea who you are, or what you've done. first question was tell us about your uni schooling, then why optometry, what makes a good optometrist, do you have these qualities and why
-lots on cheating. be prepared for that
-how do you relieve stress
-pros/cons of the profession
-governing bodies, associations, etc
interview only lasted about ~15-20 mins before i asked questions. my questions took easily as long as my portion of the interview, if not longer. I had a male and a female, no accents, both asked questions and responded, both seemed interested in what i had to say, got a couple laughs (which i didn't expect). alot more relaxed than what I have read about. questions are kinda rapid fire though.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 2K
D
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K