Interviews Online or In Person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1135362

Has there been any info about whether interviews for the 22-23 cycle will be in person or online?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t heard about interviews, but many medical schools are currently planning to hold in person classes this fall. With how well the interviews went these past couple years remotely, and how convenient it was for everyone, I wouldn’t be surprised if many schools decided to keep them remote, or at least offer them remotely. It certainly helps keep financial burdens down for applicants and help with the SES barrier to medical school admissions.

Reactions: 8 users
I haven’t heard about interviews, but many medical schools are currently planning to hold in person classes this fall. With how well the interviews went these past couple years remotely, and how convenient it was for everyone, I wouldn’t be surprised if many schools decided to keep them remote, or at least offer them remotely. It certainly helps keep financial burdens down for applicants and help with the SES barrier to medical school admissions.

Yep, and AAMC has recommended virtual interviews for this cycle as well, at least for residency. Programs can't be forced to if they really don't want to, but that's the official position. I would imagine this extends to interviewing for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom interviews worked so well for us that we are continuing them this cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
I expect mostly virtual though I'm sure a handful of schools will still want to do in-person somehow. Until it is clear that virtual is much better than in-person, expect a mix.

The question that I ultimately would be curious about: will there be an evolution towards a virtual interview phase and then an in-person interview phase? For jobs in the "real world", this is definitely the norm, and with the proliferation of some platforms that may allow a virtual interview to be part of the secondary application process for some schools, perhaps this is something that many programs are considering. There will certainly be more effort put into on-campus accepted student yield programming, hopefully before the CYMS process begins.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting thoughts, but keep in mind that this is not the real world. Due to the volumes of applicants and slots needed to be filled involved, and the fact that the cycle stretches almost a full year for most schools as it is, it is inconceivable they would be willing to devote the time and resources to introduce another round of interviews into the process.

The asynchronous virtual interviews you are thinking of work best when paired with an AI algorithm to select people for synchronous interviews, either in person or virtual. They are becoming common in the real world, and AAMC flirted with a company offering them in the 2020-21 cycle with the VITA, without the AI component. They quickly realized just how useless these are without the algorithm, and dumped it after one year, apparently in favor of the SJT they are now introducing.

Virtual interviews seem to be working well for all involved, so there is no reason for schools to go back, other than they like the high touch involved with in person interactions, and just don't care about the cost in time and money imposed on applicants. Due to the fact that some applicants can bear these costs much more easily than others, I just don't see most schools going back, due to the inequities involved, now that there is a viable alternative.

In person second looks, OTOH, will definitely come back, since they already did for many schools this past cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has there been any info about whether interviews for the 22-23 cycle will be in person or online?
I have recently interviewed a few admissions directors for our podcast. So far, everyone I spoke with indicated that next year, interviews would continue virtual. Some are considering hybrid, IOW offering both options, but I don't remember speaking to anyone who had decided to go back to all in-person. Some miss in-person, but are concerned about the burden and cost of in-person on applicants.

Reactions: 4 users

This document has the stated interview plans for schools for the 2022-2023 cycle as far as I know.

From my own pool of schools I'm applying to, everyone is either saying certainly virtual, or unknown, with only 1 school saying there would be no in-person option, but you can check each school.

Reactions: 4 users
In addition to continuing online interviews, we are going to supplement interview days with accepted student open houses or second look days. Interviewing people online is cost/time effective for all involved, but then an opportunity to come visit the campus without the stress of being evaluated and with the full knowledge of acceptance. Seems the most fair and equitable way to do it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My school, UIWSOM, has announced that we will be doing face-to-face and virtual interviews.

UMSOM, my school, will be doing virtual interviews. Admissions said it’s an equitable way to interview students who otherwise wouldn’t be able to make the trip to interview for financial reasons. It’s also a lot easier for admissions to do (ie. last minute faculty cancellations can be quickly covered by others, faculty can hop online in between cases or while still in the hospital to interview).

Reactions: 1 user